Cost of Tico style construction

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost of Tico style construction

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    waggoner41

I am thinking about building a Tico style home in Ciudad Colon and am looking to find out what the general cost of such construction would be for about an 85 meter home.

Many people ask; How much does it cost and what do you get when you build a Tico style home?

If you have not spent much time in Latin America, you may not initially notice the lack of basic amenities that you have taken for granted your whole life.

Many times, it isn’t until after a foreigner has purchased a typical Tico home, and had the time to live in it for a while, that they realize the amenities they are missing.

Down here, there is much less attention paid to details by the local contractors and architects. The average Latino feels that many of the amenities, which North Americans include in their homes, are extravagant and unnecessary.

Such as;

• Hot Water from all Faucets
    • Vented Plumbing
    • Drains with Traps and Clean Outs
    • Sufficient Electrical Outlets
    • Screens on Windows that Open
    • Shower Sprays located above our Heads
    • Garbage Disposals
    • 8′ Minimum Ceiling Height
    • Interior Doors that are High Enough for Adults
    • Countertops that are Large Enough to Work On
    • Cabinets Finished Inside with Sufficient Storage
    • Ample Closets with Cleanable Surfaces
    • Insulation in Walls, Ceilings and Attics
    • Contiguous Roofing, Facias & Soffits that Prevent Moisture and Rodent Intrusion

So if you’re willing to live without the above amenities, plan on spending about $38 dollars per square foot to hire a Tico contractor to build you a structure to live in.

Keep in mind, that when you decide to sell your Tico style home, the buyers market will be primarily Latinos, who don’t usually have enough money to purchase without some seller financing.

waggoner41

This is exactly the type of information that I require…and from the member I was hoping to get a response from.

I have 33 years experience in construction in the States but am totally out of touch with Tico expectations in a home. I do plan to do much of the finish work myself with a helper but the basic construction details are what I needed.

You have provided the details that I needed and pointed out the items that I must insist are included in a livable home that is a combination of American & Tico styles.

The plumbing issues are particularly valuable since the cost of revamping would be quite high. Electrical sufficiency is a must and the cost is not much higher to provide on initial construction.

I would be on-site daily as the planned construction would be next to our existing home and I plan to have a qualified and trusted personal overseer to deal with the contracted workers.

Your advice is taken to heart.

Other questions will undoubtedly follow but you have provided the basics.

Thank you, crhomebuilder

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Crhomebuilder, when you quote a per square foot price of around $38 for “Tico-style” construction, are you allowing for all the legal requirements? That is, are you figuring in architect’s and structural engineer’s fees, permits, etc? And, are you saying that such a house will meet the Costa Rican earthquake-resistance code? Oh, and what about site prep and utilities?

When our two houses were built of traditional concrete block construction, we got a steel-reinforced poured concrete vertical column about every two meters, vertical rebar every 60cm with concrete poured into that vertical cavity, horizontal rebar connected to the vertical columns every third course of blocks, etc. And there are horizontal reinforced poured-concrete lintels as specified by the engineer.

If waggoner41 expects that type of construction, and if he’s to upgrade the electrical and plumbing systems, and if he’s to include full-height doors, screens on the windows, roof insulation (for sound, if not for thermal resistance) and wood cabinetry (as an American would expect), then $38 per square foot seems like a very optimistic estimate.

*Lotus

Just for the sake of chiming in, my guess is CRHB is saying $38 bucks a sqft for shabby not up to “north American” specs construction. Not the type of construction you did David.

Usually when newcomers are asking for the “Tico” construction costs, they are fishing for prices that are too good to be true. The bottom line is that building costs per square foot or meter are determined by the building contract and construction specifications agreed to between the owner and the contractor. Without careful planning by a builder who has years of experience here in CR, the costs usually end up increasing as the construction process progresses. In Costa Rica, the construction problems that can cause delays and end up costing more money are not predictable problems anyone from another country could have anticipated based on knowledge acquired elsewhere.

In the case of the waggoner41, he sent me the website of his construction company in Ohio and indicated he would be on-site everyday in order to supervise the work and planned on completing most of the interior finishes himself. It is my belief that for $38 per sq. ft. he will be able to complete a basic structure in CR, since he is acting as his own contractor.

What he probably does not know, is that the lack of Spanish language skills and understanding of the local culture has ruined more than one Costa Rican Dream.

We can try to lead the horses to clean flowing rivers, but if they decide to jump into muddy puddles, that is their option.

Daisy

To be realistic this is tico time, at tico pace…

Well if you need someone to translate for you various construction terms, I am a certified technologist in Civil engineering who speeks Spanish fluently and let me know if you need help.

From the studies that I have made in the CR market I think it would be very hard to keep construction cost lower than 60$/ sq. ft and that is considering you being there on site everyday. You also might need to double your duration of project when compaired to the states, just to be safe. I am planning on doing something similar myself, once I am done I’ll let you know what my total square footage cost me ( if you’re interested) and that is with my carpenter boyfriend and me managing the site. To be on the safe side my pre-construction budget will be at 75$/sq. ft. for a basic design.

maravilla

Prices must have skyrocketed in the year since I finished my house at a cost of $38 per square foot. By the time I added the extras, like granite countertops and mosaic bathrooms, I was still only at about $41 square foot. And I have a really nice house for that price — 1854 sq feet with the terrace.

ranchos

Yes, Maravilla, they have skyrocketed, gravel and sand are up over 25%, so are rebar and concrete, all materials are up officially 17% last year, and about the same year before.
    I am building now and see the difference. I am quoting ball parks of $50 x s’, and that doesn’t include finished closets and cabinets, lights and fixtures, site preparation and architects’ fee (our friend, your architect, now charges 4% where before it was a flat $1,400, and my first house here with him, 4-5 years ago, was $700). He’s still very reasonable: Other architects ask 10-12% of estimated construction prices. Earthmoving was 10,000 colones an hour a year ago, now it’s 15,000. A load of gravel used to be $100, now it’s $150. Oil at $100 a barrel causes a lot of that.

How’s the weather, snowed in??

J

Daisy

Ranchos… Where are you located, would your architect/engineer do work around Jaco? If so would you be able to give me their information, I am currently looking for an Architect…

Regards,

Daisy

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If not, Daisy, I have an architect, based in Grecia, who has done work around Jaco and might be available. He’s creative, cooperative, fairly priced, speaks English and comes highly recommended (by me).

Daisy

That would be great, do you think I could get his contact if possible.

maravilla

Ranchos and I are just outside San Ramon. I don’t know if our architect, Nelson Banfi, does work in other areas besides the environs of San Ramon, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask him. Unfortunately, the contact info I have for him is in Costa Rica and I’m in the States until next Tuesday.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Daisy, you can reach Rodrigo Torres at 444-6333 or 846-7913. Please tell him I sent you. I get a c5 referral fee.

ranchos

Trish is probably right that he might not take a job so far away, also he does not speak English, but if you contact me, I will give you the name and number of a San Ramon architect who speaks English, and is younger and willing to shlepp down to Jaco and do the inspections. CU Tuesday Trish,

Jose

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.