Cost of living – What income RU living on?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost of living – What income RU living on?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    *Lotus

Certainly good points made by both of you. Regarding Mexicans, that is great that you have been able to help so many. But the fact remains tens of thousands are “illegal” and most don’t have the resources to qualify for legal status in the U.S.,those are the ones I am refering too. Based on some of your posts in the past I believe you would not look down on a Mexican because she/he could not become legal, but continued to work and seek some help/protection from the U.S., perhaps i’m wrong? I have no plans to live permanantly in C.R., and probaly at most stay 6 months out of the year and that won’t be for another ten years. The surfers I refer to don’t own real estate, work side by side with Ticos sometimes for them. These are not people that are on a long term plan in Costa Rica and are young not retireing there. Scott this idea of taking away jobs is very subjective as you appear to be in the “real estate” biz down there and by selling and promoting propery in Costa Rica to Americans/Canadiens you are putting entire areas of the C.R. real Estate out of reach for 1000’s of Ticos. Some will benefit by this developement but the majority will be hurt and continue to be margenelised. I am one of those Buying property, but I am not judgeing others, those in glass houses should not through stones as they say…I can say what I liked about Costa Rica is that it is not 100% tourist driven like a lot of the Carribean, where ugly hotels clog the beach, the wealthy foriegners own all the desirable real estate and the locals live hidden away on some far end of the island. Just some thoughts, i’m not up on a soap box here, just offering my perspective on things.

*Lotus

Boy I saw that coming from a mile away!!!Lol…

itsbutch

Oh geeze, so did I!!!! lol

itsbutch

Marvilla
    I understand exactly what you are saying and I basically agree. Maybe if you had stated in the beginning that you paid at least the minimum wages, took out taxes etc. it would have came across a lot better. We all need a helping hand, as I did when I moved here to Costa Rica. I met a very very nice Tico couple and they helped me thru the system legally. I have a nice home, live well, and enjoy this wonderful country, and I contribute most of this to meeting these two people.
    The Mexicans that you helped, I am sure, look upon you as I look upon my Tico couple. I couldn’t have done it without them.

I also agree about the Mexicans being “workers” you never see any other ethnic group standing in front of Home Depot awainting someone to hire them as day workers. Granted, they are probably paid under the table etc. but then again they want to work. I have seen so many beggers in the US and I don’t recall seeing a Mexican standing on the corner with a sign “Work or Food” or “Help Me – I’m Hungry”

I also understand the other replies you received. I just hope that your helping was not employing them at less then minimum wages. My sister was guilty of this. She had a Mexican restaurant and hired all illegals, exploited them, and used them to their fullest ability. She would brag about helping them, when in fact, she was helping herself a lot more than them. When one would act up, be late, even drop a plate she’d use the their illegal entry etc against them. I never really cared for the way she used these people. They are human and should be treated as such. She was almost using them as slaves to her business and we all know that the “slave” thing is long gone.
    Don’t argue your point anymore with Lotus, it’s not worth it to upset yourself and give Lotus anymore fuel for the fire. Lotus is also right in the thoughts and feelings posted. Some people have an obsession to do the right thing, exactly as it should be, not stepping aside for any reason. Fortunately or unfortunately, I am one of those people, but I cannot expect everyone to be like me. I understand you and I understand Lotus.

God Bless You Both………Butch

*Lotus

I think you have me confused with dkt2u, I only was wondering if Maravilla may have a possible double standard when it came to Mexican illegals and American illegals…and if she does I understand that there could be some reasoning behind this as well?

GringoTico

Leftwingers: Coddle the wetbacks in the US, kick the visa-skirting gringos out of CR.

Rightwingers: Let the free market reign, except for labor of course.

We are all hypocrites. The dazed and confused centrists are our only hope, and they’re a quiet bunch.

maravilla

interesting choice of words in your definitions GT. I certainly don’t advocate kicking the gringos out of CR, but to avoid that being a possibility in a migre sweep, they should be legal. I’m neither a lefty nor a repug. I just believe in doing the right thing when the situation presents itself, and I have no intentions of changing to fit some obtuse political agenda.

GringoTico

Unfortunately, the doing the right thing is not always the legal thing.

maravilla

That’s true — just watch the nightly news to see all the illegal things being done in the name of some skewed political agenda.

maravilla

You know something, r2d2, you sould like Ann Coulter with a bad case of PMS! And why is it that you assume I had a Mexican restaurant? You crack me up. We had high-end, fine dining Italian restaurants that cost $60 a person to eat dinner (ten years ago!). People like you scare me. I’m not going to respond to anymore of your knee-jerk blatantly republican tirades. I’m just glad you revealed who you really are.

itsbutch

Marvilla……
    Good choice, not to respond to any more of r2d2………

scottbenson

Lotus, a little bit about my self, I am married to a Tica for the last five years and have been going to CR for the last 7 years about 3 to 4 times a year. Mainly for my wife and her family. I can’t say what I do professionaly do to the rules of this forum and I respect that.

I have been traveling to Central and South America since 1985 I have almost hit every country. Panama was my home away from home prior to 2000 and I have been there about 18 times or so, some times 4 months at a time.

“you are putting entire areas of the C.R. real Estate out of reach for 1000’s of Ticos”

Yes, this is a problem and a balance. This is why you want to do biz with people that give back to the community and not just rape the Ticos. When ever I do biz with people I look for many things and this is one of them. If you do biz with people that want to take advantage of CR and not give back to the community than soon CR will look like Pureto Rico. I don’t want that to happen! This is why the new laws that will hopfuly be enforced will help curb some issues that are arising. Like your surfer friends that come to CR and give surfing lessions. They might be working shoulder to shoulder with the Ticos but that doesnt make it right. I can’t tell you how many people that come to CR and think they can go and get a good paying job just because they are Gringos. Well belive it or not many Ticos are better quialified for the job and highly educated.

itsbutch

Scott
    Very well said – I hope this ends their arguing!
    Butch

*Lotus

It worked in Iraq…lol!

*Lotus

If that works for you great..but by selling expsensive real estate to Gringos and driving up prices to catastophic levels you HURT the locals, yes you may also create jobs but then you have an elite class of westerners occupying a country of wage earners this is an unfortunate fact of free markets and you are part of that mechanism. My point is just accept it and not try too excuse your actions, i’m not judgeing you just pointing out the obvious. Regarding “surfers” in Costa rica teaching surfing, I don’t do it nor advocate it; just pointing out it exists. The developement of C.R by western builders targeting Gringos though in my humble opinion does more harm than a surfer dude making 20 bucks on a surf lesson. How many Costa Ricans can now afford to buy property in Jaco or Playa Hermosa etc..? It seems that most of the “raping” going on is Gringo on Gringo as Scott has pointed out on this site and I would agree with that. Yes there are many ways that one can examine this situation, but it is what it is. Castro had a solution to this, but thats not such a pleasant solution either…so be careful what you wish for regarding the actions of the Costa rican government.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.