Cost of living in Grecia, Costa Rica.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost of living in Grecia, Costa Rica.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

I’m pretty happy with rice and beans Maravilla! I eat mostly Jasmine rice and any type of beans. I don’t really eat red meats, but fish and chicken.
    I recollect going to the comisariato in Limon back in the late 50’s, where my old man used to buy fig newtons, cracker jack and Nabisco variety box. Not a lot of locals would be able to afford such stuff, but as he was the manager of an American company in Limon he had the means to afford it. Ah, those where the days! Living in the best house on top of the highest point in Limon, just about 200 feet from the main highway going to Moin, and about 1000 feet from the hospital where I was born.
    As a Norte Americano born in Costa Rica of a Costa Rican mother and a Yankee father, I will soon be applying for a Cedula and a Costa Rican passport.
    My big decision will be whether I move to the Caribbean side or the Central Valley.

orcas0606
    Participant

Maravilla, you never fail to amaze me. Just when I thought you were one of the most acculturated and knowledgeble posters on WLCR you come up with such an unfounded generalization and just because you think that they are out to get you doesn’t mean that you are paranoid. Do you think that the average tico has even the faintest idea who Mamita Yunai is…..I’m not the most likable guy and I don’t feel the ticos dislike. Why are they blaming you?

[quote=”maravilla”]they don’t like us in the first place, so if they can blame us for anything, they will!![/quote]

maravilla

i don’t get your point, quite frankly. either you do not know the history of the isthmus for the last 100 years or you haven’t spoken to enough Ticos about these issues. Nobody is blaming ME per se; and as for MY, yes, quite a lot of Ticos know what they did here and how abusive they were to workers. How do I know this? We published an entire issue on bananas, and during our investigations, we routinely queried farmers and non-farmers about UFC. you can see that issue here:

http://issuu.com/stephanz/docs/neotropica_2

VictoriaLST

[quote=”orcas0606″]Maravilla, you never fail to amaze me. Just when I thought you were one of the most acculturated and knowledgeble posters on WLCR you come up with such an unfounded generalization and just because you think that they are out to get you doesn’t mean that you are paranoid. Do you think that the average tico has even the faintest idea who Mamita Yunai is…..I’m not the most likable guy and I don’t feel the ticos dislike. Why are they blaming you?

[quote=”maravilla”]they don’t like us in the first place, so if they can blame us for anything, they will!![/quote][/quote]

Orcas, what you are hearing is a conspiracy theorist with another bit of paranoia.

maravilla

retract your claws, vickie — you’re beginning to sound pretty ridiculous. i always love how people who don’t know what they’re talking about are so quick to condemn someone who has done the research and knows the facts. do you even speak spanish??? i’ll bet your don’t. that would be so typical, wouldn’t it?

VictoriaLST

No claws here. Lets talk scientific method instead – Occam’s Razor.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Tut, tut, Victoria! We’ll have none of that “scientific method” stuff here!

The motto of the (now defunct) Franconia College in Franconia, New Hampshire was, [i]”Non Defecare in Fantasis Altorum”[/i].

VictoriaLST

And a tsk tsk to you too 😆

Res Nusquam Es. Fantasis Panton Es.

And don’t defecare in mine either!

waggoner41

[quote=”ddspell12″] They felt like they were misled by many people and or organizations. I have a very good retirement and was planning on settling in The Grecia area also.

Although it not affect my plans it does throw re flags up about the information you receive.
    [/quote]

Sounds to me like they misled themselves. If you are not experiencing inflation in the U.S. DO NOT COME to Costa Rica. I guess we don’t talk much about inflation because it’s all relative.

Since somewhere around 2009-2010 the value of the dollar to the colon has dropped from 596 to 492. That’s a decrease of about 21%. You can look to congress to find the fault for that.

On top of that we have the same inflation going on here as there is in the States.

My property taxes have increased by more than 100% over the past five years.

We moved here because we love the country and the people not because we thought we could pinch a colon.

Viewing 9 posts - 46 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.