Cost Of Living in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost Of Living in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

At one time we had a comprehensive Costa of Living report available here on WeLoveCostaRica.com but these things go out of date quickly and I simply have not had the time to update it but – Would you please help?

If you are living here in Costa Rica – Would you be willing to divulge your overall cost of living which I would like to use as part of an article?

I do NOT plan on mentioning people’s names, just something like ‘Grecia Retired Couple’ but would like a good idea of the monthly expenses of various people in different parts of Costa Rica.

Can you help out?

Know anybody else that could help?

If you can help just email me or post a reply here and I will then email you privately….

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

alexgil

Sure. I live in sarapaqui and am happy to share my cost of living. Although its probably more basic that you central valley folks! Alex

Andrew
    Keymaster

That would be terrific – thank you alexgil

We’re looking for amounts per person for food, electricity, water and other utilities plus eating out expenses and other forms of entertainment. Costs of maid, gardener etc., if you have one…

Health care and drug costs are important too… My email address is admin@WeLoveCostaRica.com

We have a small group of people who have agreed to help for which I am thankful but would certainly appreciate a few more.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Jerry

Scott, A few years ago, I stated I was living on $250 a month here. Times have changed!!! I now have a wife and child, so, here is my update: I pay Suguro for the wife and baby (9000 colones a month) I own my house and 74 Land Rover, so no expense there. Phone (house and cell combined) usually about 7000 colones. Electricity, 5,000 to 7000 colones. Food… not sure. Water, 1000 a month unlimited use. Fuel for the Rover, about 10,000 a week, and rising constantly (I do not do a lot of driving). All in all, dining out, driving around, eating and living reasonably Tico-style with a large dash of Gringo, I use close to $800 a month… Including any car repair and house fixin. Mind you, I live sorta in the sticks outside of La Suiza de Turrialba, so I do not have the city or tourist zone inflation to deal with
    Jerry

Andrew
    Keymaster

For a married couple and child – Living on $800 per month is still very reasonable Jerry

Funny enough I drove through La Suisa last Saturday. It was a last minute kind of a thing and my lady and I spent the weekend at the Casa Turire.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

vbcruiser

Retired Couple – Playa Grande, Costa Rica

Electricity – $220. with the pool pump running 8 hours a day
    Add: $100. per A/C unit if you run them. We have them, but don’t use them. We like it hot…but our visitors use the A/C in the cabina. Yep $80-$100 is accurate.

Water – Just went up 500%. We pay $25. per month. We recycle our water to use on the plants. My neighbours pay around $80. per month for water.

Property Taxes – $300. per year

Internet – $72. per month thru ICE (high speed)- lame service

Cable – $20 per month (Amnet)

Gas for Cooking – $10. per month

Telephones – Cell $10. per month

Regular line $6. per month

Fuel for the car – $60. per week (live in the booneys, you gotta drive)

Food – $400. per month

Private Medical $110. per month for two

Vehicle Insurance/permits – $180. per month

House Insurance $90. per month

Edited on May 15, 2008 18:26

aguirrewar

It all depends on your style of living, meaning the Costarican or US way. Gallo Pinto or “T bone steak”.

My son lives in CR the “pura vida” style because he was born and raised in CR. He used to live in the USA but did not like it and returned to CR 3 years ago.

He makes $1,200 a month and has a wife and 2 kids’ (3 and 5 year old), his wife does not work. Doesn’t have a car and lives ok with the help of his family.

2 bedroom 1 bath beachfront condo in Playa Hermosa includes water, cable, garbage
    1600 per month

Full time employee to help with cooking, cleaning, babysitting, and teaching me spanish
    We overpay her by local standards, but feel it is a more livable wage. Worth every penny.
    320 per month

We also pay her Caja insurance in full for her
    110 per month

Electricity to run 1 large airconditioner constantly, 1 fan, 1 television, liberal usage of various electrodomestics, electric stove, microwave, washer and dryer, etc,
    160 to 200 per month

Groceries
    500 per month

Cable internet
    37 per month

Telephone
    7 per month basic service

Cell Phone
    10 per month

Visit to the local private clinic in Jaco for medical treatment
    35 dollars

Weekly visit to la feria for fruits, vegis, eggs, chicken,and goodies made by the menonites. We really load up too.
    30 per week for a family of 3 or 40 when we have guests

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.