Cost of getting Pensionado status in 2014.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost of getting Pensionado status in 2014.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Elizabeth2

How much does getting Pensionado status for one person typically cost – including legal and other fees? I am not fluent in Spanish. I currently live in the US and get a pension of more than $1000 per month.

This is the quote from the American Residents of Costa Rica [for ARCR members] that I just received:
    “Applying for residency will cost $700 for government application fees and other costs – plus $1100 [to ARCR] for legal fees, translation of documents and other costs, for a total of $1800.”

Has anyone – who is not fluent in Spanish – recently obtained their Pensionado for less? If I was fluent, I might be able to get it for less, but that is not the case.

I would appreciate hearing others’ experiences – and who they went through.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I previously responded to your other post. Not included on the fees you mentioned on this post, is the $350 you pay for transportation out of the country if CR deems you ‘non-desirable’. While this is[i] supposedly[/i] refundable to you if you decide that Costa Rica is not where you want to live, it could take a long time for you to receive the funds. It [i]may[/i] not include the cost of your initial [i]cedula[/i] $132, so you should question this.

In regards to the lowest, required pension of $1000 per month, realize that this is[u] not[/u] enough to live on.

ARCR fees are [i]very[/i] similar to what others charge. Don’t forget, you will be required to leave CR to renew your tourist visa until you have the necessary paperwork to say that ‘your application is under consideration’

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]”…… Don’t forget, you will be required to leave CR to renew your tourist visa until you have the necessary paperwork to say that ‘your application is under consideration'[/quote]
    Actually, even after you get the “application is under consideration” paperwork (the “Entramite” with your “file number”) you must still leave every 90 days UNLESS you have a Costa Rica driver’s license – which of course you can no longer get UNLESS you have resident status.

This 90-day departure is a requirement of the traffic law, not immigration.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I previously responded to your other post. Not included on the fees you mentioned on this post, is the $350 you pay for transportation out of the country if CR deems you ‘non-desirable’. While this is[i] supposedly[/i] refundable to you if you decide that Costa Rica is not where you want to live, it could take a long time for you to receive the funds. It [i]may[/i] not include the cost of your initial [i]cedula[/i] $132, so you should question this.

In regards to the lowest, required pension of $1000 per month, realize that this is[u] not[/u] enough to live on.

ARCR fees are [i]very[/i] similar to what others charge. Don’t forget, you will be required to leave CR to renew your tourist visa until you have the necessary paperwork to say that ‘your application is under consideration'[/quote]

And don’t forget that monthly chunk that CAJA will be taking out of your monthly income and/or nestegg for the pleasure of committing to a residency status.

I agree…. anything less than $2000/mo of income is going to provide you with a very simple and dare I say difficult experience in CR. I’m sure there are folks that will disagree… but many of those them own their own place and have adapted to a Tico lifestyle that may not be your cup of tea!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.