cost of flying to Costa Rica now

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum cost of flying to Costa Rica now

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    DENISE

Good morning all…..it is time to plan our trip to CR….again…..the cost of tickets now are crazy….we are flying from San Diego to either Liberia or San Jose….when we first starting going to CR the tickets were @$300….now i am looking at $800 per!!
    we will be spending the summer and plan on leaving mid june….is anyone else out there in ‘sticker shock’? any ideas how to get there for less?
    yipppeee
    its friday
    Denise

*Lotus

get e mail alerts from kayak.com right now flights from NYC are cheap!! $359 direct-non stop on United.You just have to keep checking, you aren’t leaving for almost a year way to far out to get the best fares.

grb1063

We travel to CR every 6-8 months and actually paid more for our last trip than our trip in November. Kayak.com or sidestep.com will monitor the fares for you. I have found it does not pay to buy them too far in advance and the fares typically reset on Sundays. We pay from $650-$700 RT from Seattle. San Diego fares are always significantly higher because it is not a high traffic airport and does not have much competition. You might be better off leaving from LAX.

However, 3 years ago we were flying for $450 RT. Fuel costs for airlines are more than 50% of their total costs and we all know what gas prices have done. Jet fuel is similar to diesel and diesel has been impacted the most.

kshaler
    Participant

We live in San Diego also, we fly out of LAX. My husband is in CR right now, he flew down last Sunday round trip for $374 including taxes. He flew United thru Houston ( I believe) which made it a 7+ hour flight instead of 5+, still not bad. I got the tickets thru Priceline, we bought the tickets one week in advance.I would agree that buying tickets too far in advance usually is quite a bit more expensive. I’ve been down five times this year on TACA the last time in late May and I was able to get tickets for under $560 each time. Since then everything is in the $700 range so we’re having to be very spontaneous to avoid the high fares.

DENISE

do u fly into San Jose or Liberia….we go to Nosara so getting into Liberia would be great but have always had to go to SJ because of cost….
    do u go often because of leisure or business?

mmessier2

We just booked our tickets today. We prefer LIR, but we got tickets for myself, my wife, and my infant son (lap child) for only $770 to SJO (total including all taxes) from Sacramento, CA.

We are flying Frontier airlines, Continental wanted to charge over $500 just for my boy to sit on a lap, and $770 a person for tickets- so over $2000. Crazy.

Any experiences with Frontier airlines?

*Lotus

Continental $289 r/t includes taxes, fees non-stop from Newark, NJ airport. Thanks to my kayak.com alerts!

We flew Frontier out of Sacramento, through Denver to Rica about 4 months ago. It was really nice traveling through the small airports. I would do it again for sure!

kshaler
    Participant

We fly into San Jose and drive down to the Central Pacific area soflying into Liberia wouldn’t work for us. We bought a little place in a village on the coast and are going down to work on the place and make friends. The more expensive arefares will slow us down though unless we can get more fares on sale like this.

perwal

My wife and I fly Spirit Airlines regularly to San Jose at their rediculously low $9 each way fare from Ft. Lauderdale Intl Airport. We have made numerous trips at these special rates. You must be a member of their $9 Fare club to receive these fares and they charge for bags and up to $15 for a preferred aisle seat. Still, its a great deal, although the taxes are about $46 per person plus departure tax from C.R. They can be reached at Spiritair.com . And of course, you have to get to Ft. Lauderdale.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.