Cost of Construction in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cost of Construction in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    jcomp

Does anyone know what the average cost per square meter is to build in Costa Rica..Is it $250 per meter or is it higher than that? Thank you!

maravilla

I paid $34 per square foot — don’t know how that translates to a square meter. If you can do the math, let me know what it is.

marion

Maravilla..does that include driveway, ground clearing for building lot , water, electric, phone? Does that include architect fees and per mits? How about appliances and hot water everywhere? Built to American standards? 220 electric… landscaping? Sorry..I know thats alot of questions…Thanks!!

jcomp

I believe that’s about 180 to 200 dolares per Meter…you did good! Marvilla’s question was good though…did that include everything that was mentioned in he/her question?

maravilla

The answer is “no” to the ground clearing, phone, architects fees, appliances, and landscaping. The figure I quoted was just for the house. The water and electricity were already nearby and were hooked up for the price I quoted. What do you mean “american standards”? I have 3 bedrooms, two bathrooms, a laundry room, a walk-in closet, living room, dining room, kitchen, fireplace, 540 sq ft terrace, custom wood ceilings, granite countertops, mosaic murals in the bathrooms, travertine sinks, Kohler sinks and faucets, but of course, all those goodies are add-ons because that is what I wanted, so that increased the cost to $38 including all the custom finishes, including handcarved cedar interior doors and kitchen cabinets.

jcomp

Can’t beat taht! $38 per foot is awesome…Thank you for your input that assures me that I am not paying excessively…I am building two homes on one lot and my price will include swimming pool,water, electric hookups,landscaping, all the upgrades you mentioned, etc. Again, thank you for your input..it is greatly appreciated!

maravilla

I would’ve brought it in at $34 and still had a completely finished house if I hadn’t gone high-end on all the fixtures and finishes which added to the basic price. I’ve been told I over-built, and I guess I did get a little extravagant when I bought a $600 travertine sink for my bathroom and then had a glass-tile mosaic of Monet’s Water Lillies done in the master shower, but hey, if I only build this one house then I want it to be a masterpiece. I’m thinking of putting in a lap pool so I can have Van Gogh’s Irises done in mosaic tile on the bottom!

marion

Hi Maravilla..American standards??..I just meant is the house like what we’re used to in the states..like numerous electrical outlets, 8 foot ceilings, good sized closets etc? May I ask what the architect did charge, and what level of involvement and responsibility he assumed? And the ground clearing charges, landscaping, and any thing else you can think of? Thanks so much for sharing!!

maravilla

HAHAHA — no, I have a house with 6′ ceilings and no plugs!!! Actually my ceilings are 15′ in the living room, kitchen and dining room (all tongue and groove laurel), and 8 feet everywhere else except the long hallway leading to the bedrooms, which is about 12 feet. My walk-in closet is the size of my bedroom in the States. I may use it as a fourth bedroom instead of a closet! LOL I have more electrical outlets than I have things to plug in them. And unlike the stick houses they build in the States, my house will last a lifetime as it is all cement with ribar in every block! My architect charged $1300 for plans, permits, etc. It was another $700 to level my lot for a plantel. Haven’t done any landscaping yet, but I’ve allocated a thousand or so to plant trees.

marion

LOL..sounds beautiful!..would love to see pictures and know who your architect, builder and attorney are?!?!

marion

Agnes…?

linda8421

What area did you build? Do you know what costs are to build along the coast area? Since the highway is not completed I figured it would be possibly more. How did you find your builder?

maravilla

I’m building outside San Ramon. I have no idea of the costs on the coast, but I’m sure it’s a lot more than where I’m building because it’s assumed that if you’re down on the beach, you really ARE a rich gringo and therefore have lots of dinero! My builder has done several houses in my area and I like what he did for his other customers.

senta

Maravilla, I am reading everything you are writing about your new house and it helped me also to come to my senses after reading your last response and and at my next visit at the end of June will concentrate more in central valley. So what if we are not at a beach or see the ocean – it’s only an hours drive. My wife and I will also check out the San Ramon area and maybe I have luck and run into you.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Maravilla and I have been discussing our projects and it would appear that we have both succeeded in building VERY affordable and two very different homes in Costa Rica.

This week, my new cypress home in the mountains should be finished and unless there are any spectacularly surprising events, the home should be built for just under $62,000.

This price does not include the cost of the land but does include all architect fees, building permits, attorney fees, a massive fireplace, bathroom fittings, lighting and a ‘country style’ fitted kitchen.

This is a two bedroom, 1,840 square foot cypress wood home. Of that 1,840 square feet, about 500 square feet is a huge wraparound terrace so my cost per square foot will be comparable.

If I add the cost of the land (about 2,400M2 or 25,824 square feet) which was US$16,000 – my total land and building costs will be under US$80,000.

I will be writing about this in the not so distant future but you ca NOT tell us that building your own home has to be expensive! We know because we have proved it can be done!

Two brand new comfortable homes that any Gringo/Brit/Canadian would be very happy to live in for way under US$100K

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.