Correct me about working in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Correct me about working in Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    johnnyh

I enjoy watching House Hunters International, specially when they go to Costa Rica. In last night’s episode a couple search and buy a house in Tamarindo.

As I’m a gringo and also a Tico having been born of a Yankee father and a Tico mom, I hope to one day soon to retire in the Caribbean side, but I digress, in that the husband in the episode wants to work as a photographer in the beach areas.

Is that possible? Is that legal?

markus
    Participant

I did not watch the show. But i knew a professional photographer in the tamarindo area who took scenery pictures at or by the beach, and then sold them at her home.

Imxploring
    Participant

That depends on how he structures his work. Taking pictures that he sells privately or via the Internet would be fine. Running a business in CR where he is anything beyond a manager and is directly involved in working in the business would be a problem. I think artists get more latitude then folks involved in more traditional business pursuits like hotels and restaurants when it comes to CR enforcing the laws. I’ve seen many media and musical artist float right under the radar while folks running a restaurant have had nothing but problems with the authorities. Often it’s a competitor that flips them in!

Either way it’s not going to provide him with a means by which to get residency.

They should call House Hunters International the new Fantasy Island. It’s a joke…. a more interesting show would be a follow up to the train wrecks that occur to these folks when reality sets in on their dreams. Most seem to have a bag of cash and NO idea what they’re doing. I’m venturing a guess that MOST don’t last a year in their new “home”.

Ving

Please remember this is reality show entertainment.They never show what is in between the lines in regard to ownership.

Costa Rica is a country of many laws but mostly suggestions.I will leave you with the old Costa Rican adage in reference to making a buck in the land of perpetual Mucho Gusto.

“If you want to make a million dollars in Costa Rica you better bring in two million”

Best Regards,
    Edwin Mora Artavia

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Ving”]”If you want to make a million dollars in Costa Rica you better bring in two million”[/quote]

This is an amusing quote Edwin and I’ve heard different versions of the same joke in many different countries and it’s certainly relevant for anybody who is new to any country.

Having said that, I personally know lots of expats with very successful businesses in Costa Rica.

Scott

Ving

Thankyou Scott!! For your reply.Unfortunately for me,my only frame of reference for expats in business

are the ones who were waylaid by their own friends and Family in Costa Rica,or as someone already wrote

” The Train Wrecks” Now That is a show!

Regards,
    Ving

Imxploring
    Participant

That’s a great idea for a show…. “Train wrecks”…. a new reality show that follows up on the participant’s stories on House Hunters International. I’m sure it would be a hit!:D

Imxploring
    Participant

There’s a phrase that’s several hundred years old that sums it up.

“A fool and his money are soon parted.”

I’ve seen numerous fools come and go. House Hunters International just packages the experience into a tidy half hour format rather than watching the real thing happen to folks you’ve met in CR that self destruct making bad choices, failing to do their homework (like researching CR with all the great info on this very site), or loosing their minds while enjoying this beautiful country and it’s people.:roll:

BillNew
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”][quote=”Ving”]”If you want to make a million dollars in Costa Rica you better bring in two million”[/quote]

This is an amusing quote Edwin and I’ve heard different versions of the same joke in many different countries and it’s certainly relevant for anybody who is new to any country.

[/quote]

My favorite was Sir Richard Branson as he addressed graduates at commencement exercises ,,,

[B]”I’m going to tell you all how to make a small fortune! Start with a large fortune and buy an airline.”[/B]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.