Coolest areas of Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Coolest areas of Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    writersam

I have heard some of the regions are cooler than others. Could you give some insight which would be a cool and not so humid area? I like a bit of seclusion but would like to be close to amenities such as a grocery store, medical and meeting people.

If this has been asked before I apologize as I am quite new to this forum.

Sandra

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The single most important determinant of temperature is altitude. The higher the cooler. Six months of the year (May to December), it’s rainy pretty much wherever you are.

At 4,100 feet, we occasionally see 80 degrees F and occasionally 60 degrees. When it’s rainy, as it is now, it’s humid.

waggoner41

We are at about 3,000 feet near Ciudad Colon and about 5 degrees warmer than David’s area.

I think all of the moderate size towns have a national health care clinic.

We have contact with American neighbors for 2 to 3 months out of the years and spend a lot more time with our Tico friends and neighbors. There are probably more expats in the Grecia – San Ramon area than there are here.

No matter where you are there will be a pulperia where you can buy basics. For American things Escazu and Santa Ana in our area.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Want cool?

My vacation home is at 7,230 feet… During the day it is gorgeous and hot and in the evening it can go down to 60 degrees…. For me that’s perfect sleeping weather …

Mountain Home For Sale With Unbelievable Views For Bird Lovers – Furnished $179K which you can see at:

[ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/Mountain_Home_For_Sale_With_Unbelievable_Views_For_Bird_Lovers__Furnished_179K.cfm ]

Scott

writersam

Thank you so much for the info. My Dad use to take me to Costa Rica as a little girl. I was so young but I remember the weather was beautiful and you could look over the mountains and see the ocean.

Scott I have been searching the site as you suggested and have found a wealth of information. Love your home but it may be a bit big for just me unless I can convince my sons to move there with me.

I hope not to be a menace to you over the coming months. Being a writer causes me to do a a great deal of research. Thanks so much.

Sandra

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”Scott”]Want cool?
    My vacation home is at 7,230 feet… During the day it is gorgeous and hot and in the evening it can go down to 60 degrees…. For me that’s perfect sleeping weather ]
    Scott[/quote]

I just viewed that magnificent cabin of yours and was thinking how the day before yesterday it was 113 (an ALL TIME record) here in L.A. and what the HECK am I doing here!!! Really does look like Paradise. Be back in C.R. in 8 weeks and may want to discuss with you.

writersam

Love the house too but am just not ready to buy yet. Hey I have an idea, let’s go in halves! LOL

costaricafinca
    Participant

Much wiser, [b]writersam[/b], to rent and check out areas in which you may want to live as it is so easy to buy here…and so difficult to sell.
    Presently, so many area are totally waterlogged, and it will take awhile to dry out.

writersam

Thank you so much for the advice.:D

Jim S.

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Much wiser, [b]writersam[/b], to rent and check out areas in which you may want to live as it is so easy to buy here…and so difficult to sell.
    Presently, so many area are totally waterlogged, and it will take awhile to dry out.[/quote]

Good advice! I rented for several years before buying my home and am glad I did. Once I decided I was ready to buy, I spoke fluent Spanish, was certain of the area I wanted to live, had a good idea of property values and knew how to avoid overpaying, etc. Because I wasn’t in a rush, I was able to spend my time looking and finally found the perfect house for my family and bought it well under its market value.

My home is in San Ramon de Tres Rios (not to be confused with San Ramon de Alajuela), about 20 minutes northeast of downtown San Jose, at an altitude of 4,700 feet. Average temperatures range from the low to mid-60’s at night to low to mid-70’s during the day. Costa Rica has a myriad of micro-climates, determined not only by altitude but also by terrain features. My wife is Tica and most of her family live in the San Pedro/Sabanilla area less than 10 minutes from our home. It is at least 5-6 degrees cooler here and we have no mosquitos or houseflies, which can be a serious nuisance at lower elevations during certain times of the year.

writersam

Ooooh Jim that sounds like a nice area. No mosqitos or flies. Thank you and good luck with your BBQ. I may just have to stop in!

ticorealtor

If you are looking in the Central Valley area Tres Rios is a great place. We live here and it is close to everything, Trea Mall is just down the road, San Jose by bus is 25 minn and mountains all over the place. In the last nine years or so this place has been growing and growing.

Jim S.

[quote=”ticorealtor”]If you are looking in the Central Valley area Tres Rios is a great place. We live here and it is close to everything, Trea Mall is just down the road, San Jose by bus is 25 minn and mountains all over the place. In the last nine years or so this place has been growing and growing.[/quote]

I totally agree. There’s no place else in Costa Rica I’d rather live. For my lifestyle – space and privacy without being outrageously expensive, I particularly like San Ramon de Tres Rios where I live but its a small area and there’s never much on the market here. Ticorealtor probably knows the overall Tres Rios area much better than I do. I’d encourage you to check it out. I love it here.

ticorealtor

Well we are in Tres Rios Cartago, we live in a Tico area called La Carpentaria. We butt up against the national park nice but we have a bus role by our house every half a hour. hahaha

bret mier

I am curious as well about the mild climates. I also would like a moderate tempeature, but I suffer with breathing problems. Can anyone tell me how easy it is to breathe aroung the 4,700 fott mark?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.