Conversion of US$ to colones for residency purposes

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Conversion of US$ to colones for residency purposes

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    paula1

Hi,
    We recently received our Residency Cards. We are unclear on the conversion timelines. Do we need to show that we convert $600 per month into a colon account? Or could we transfer the funds in a couple of chunks and convert it as it comes down. We live in Canada for six months and our pension cheques are deposited there. I understood that we could convert the appropriate amount once a year,but now we are told that we need to do this monthly. Anybody know the current rule?
    Thanks

maravilla

i always understood that it was $600 a month or $7200 a year, and nobody ever told me it had to be on a monthly basis. the last two times i renewed my cedula they didn’t even ask for the proof of conversion.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Paula1, was your residency application granted under the previous law or the current one? The law in effect noe requires conversion of $1,000 per month, not $600.

We, too, have never been asked for proof of our conversions, but we always brought thrpe receipts just in case.

waggoner41

This has never been a concern for us. We bank in the States but use the ATM’s here to draw colones and only do business with colones whith the exception of a few odd transactions.

We end up drawing a minimum of $2,000 per month.

paula1

Hi David,
    Our residency was approved under the old rules,income of 600US$ per month. We have no problem with the conversion while we are here in CR,but we live in Canada for half the year. Of course,we spend much more than 600$ when we are here and way in excess of 7200$ during our time in CR. My main concern is the monthly conversion as we are not here part of the year. I was hoping that someone knew the rule.
    Thanks

maravilla

i don{t think it really matters that you prove $600 a month every month, they are more interested in the $7200 a year. IF they even ask for the receipts.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yes, I’m certain that maravilla is right. The effective requirement is to convert $600US per month on average. If you meet the $7,200 annual cumulative total, and if you don’t do it all in just one or two transactoins, I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.