Considering retiring to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Considering retiring to Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    DraginRat

We are considering retiring to Costa Rica, or maybe Belize.

We are in the very early stages of learning what all is involved in such a move. We are not in a big hurry to get this done, but if all goes well, we would like to make our first visit maybe Oct or Nov.

We are aware of some of the obvious things, like spending a few months in country, rent, don’t buy, and some of the climate issues.

We have an annual income of about $65,000-$70,000 and even now, live a relatively modest lifestyle.

We will both be 70 by the time we move, if indeed we do. Both in relatively good health but I have Cancer that is presently in remission. About that, I don’t expect to live forever, and would choose a shorter, enjoyable life over one extended by chemo and radiation. Still, basic health care would be important to us.

What we are now looking for is sources for honest, unbiased information on such things as what is required of us legal wise to retire there, do we really need an automobile, and other nuances that we should be aware of, even before we first visit for 30 days, or later for six months.

Neither of us currently speak usable Spanish, but intend to start on that soon.

Right now, can’t think of anything more, but you get the idea that we need to learn a lot, and looking for sources.

Thank You for whatever insight you may have to offer.

Ken Gasbarri

costaricafinca
    Participant

Ken, [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html]this website [/url]offers a wealth of information regarding living here, legally.
    In regards to health care coverage, it is mandatory to be affiliated with CAJA the socialized system here….however it could take a 18 months or more, to be covered. Many expats choose to use the private facilities.
    Buses are plentiful, in many areas, but not all.

Private insurance companies here, [u]will not cover existing conditions.[/u] Nor will they issue a new policy for anyone over 70.

Read through the previous posts for additional information.

Come and visit!

davidd

DraginRat

I applaud your sense of adventure especially in an age where people have become so solidified in their thinking of whats possible.

relocating to any new country is a very individual thing based on many factors. and although you can use some of the information on this site to good use.. it will inevitably be a personal experience.

my advice would be to get a general idea of what is comfortable or important to you and look for an apartment to rent and do this for a while until you start acquiring the most important thing….

[b]DATA[/b][size=200][/size]

then you can make adjustments along the way.

I personally would not make costa rica a retirement destination.. and would broaden you search a bit.. but to each his own.

Costa Rica currently does not do anything to want your retirement business and this will continue and the cost of living here is going up pure and simple. the only ones that promote Costa Rica are the ones trying to sell you

1.) The dream which we Americans are always looking for

2.) real estate

I hope you can appreciate an honest opinion..

sueandchris

Costa Rica was a wonderful place to live. My husband and I retired there and lived in Atenas for three years. Living there was both wonderful and a pain in the butt. It is hard to get established (residency, banks, CAJA, etc.) and that said, it was totally worth it. Costa Rica is NOT much cheaper to live in than the U.S., especially if you live modestly. (Wealthy folks seemed to think it was a better bargain because of the low cost of “help”.) We lived modestly and found it to be a comparable cost of living. We owned a house, one modest car and our main luxury was eating lunch out a few times per week. We did know some folks that were living more cheaply, but they were often renting very modest apartments and in some cases owned no car. In Atenas it is probably possible to live without a car, but only if you live in or near town. BTW, Atenas is a wonderful place to live.

Some Spanish is not only necessary but establishes you with the good folks of Costa Rica as a fine person.

All of that said, our years in Atenas remain the best memory of our lives together. We moved back to the States and my husband died shortly thereafter. I will always return to “mi pais” Costa Rica and I often wake up dreaming that I am still there.

If this is your dream, just do it. There are difficulties, but difficulties abound in life anyway. The difference will be that the beauty of Costa Rica just gets in your heart.

Good luck. Sue

costaricafinca
    Participant

Sue, sorry to hear that you and your husband didn’t get to share more years together.

It seems that many who move here, stay for 2-4 years, then choose to return ‘home’, for a variety of reasons.

davidd

Sue

I am sorry to hear about your husband and it proves true that the best memories are the insurmountable adventures you made surmountable..

[quote=”sueandchris”]Costa Rica was a wonderful place to live. My husband and I retired there and lived in Atenas for three years. Living there was both wonderful and a pain in the butt. It is hard to get established (residency, banks, CAJA, etc.) and that said, it was totally worth it. Costa Rica is NOT much cheaper to live in than the U.S., especially if you live modestly. (Wealthy folks seemed to think it was a better bargain because of the low cost of “help”.) We lived modestly and found it to be a comparable cost of living. We owned a house, one modest car and our main luxury was eating lunch out a few times per week. We did know some folks that were living more cheaply, but they were often renting very modest apartments and in some cases owned no car. In Atenas it is probably possible to live without a car, but only if you live in or near town. BTW, Atenas is a wonderful place to live.

Some Spanish is not only necessary but establishes you with the good folks of Costa Rica as a fine person.

All of that said, our years in Atenas remain the best memory of our lives together. We moved back to the States and my husband died shortly thereafter. I will always return to “mi pais” Costa Rica and I often wake up dreaming that I am still there.

If this is your dream, just do it. There are difficulties, but difficulties abound in life anyway. The difference will be that the beauty of Costa Rica just gets in your heart.

Good luck. Sue[/quote]

DraginRat

Thanks for the replies;

As you well know, we have many things to consider before we do anything, but we are confident that we will be taking our first “adventure” to Costa Rica later this year.

Also, looking forward to hearing more about all this from you fine folks.

Sue; sorry to hear about your loss. Glad that you do have some nice memories.

Ken Gasbarri

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.