Considering a relocation to CR in a few years

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Considering a relocation to CR in a few years

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    rrobinson98

Hello,

I actually visted Costa Rica for the first time last year (Playa Flamingo, Guancaste area) and did not really like but the circumstances under which I visted had alot to do with it. Since then I have NOT been able to get Costa Rica off my mind. I really want to go back and REALLY get a grasp of what life is like there and would really solidfy if I want to relocate in a few years. I was thinking of maybe trying to get a job at the U.S. embassy. I have had such a hard time making in CAL, even though I was born and raised here. Just thinking this might be a change of pace but the Culture shock may be too much and I also do not know if the Government is corrupt or if I can make a decent living over there????

Any input is greatly appreciated!

maravilla

don’t come here with the idea in mind that you are going to get a good paying job. it would be illegal for you to work unless you have obtained permanent residency and that takes between 3 and 5 years but first you must meet the requirements for temporary residency and that includes proving you have a lifetime income of $1000 a month, or putting $120,000 into a CD for 5 years, or investing a minimum of $250,000 in some business venture. without residency of some sort you will be a perpetual tourist and that requires leaving the country every 90 days to renew your visa. and of course, the government is corrupt — this is latin america. if you didn’t like the area you visited, then you need to come and explore the country. there is a diverse culture and geography here and maybe you will find your niche. but don’t come with idea that you will get a job, although if you think you qualify there is nothing stopping you from approaching the embajada, but that’s a longshot!

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A couple of points, maravilla.

First, the $1,000 pension to qualify for [i]pensionado[/i] status must be guaranteed for life. That usually means from a governmental source such as Social Security, but some annuities will qualify.

Second, the amount that must be deposited for [i]rentista[/i] status is $150,000US, not $120,000.

And third, it’s more likely to take four to five years to qualify for permanent residency (which would permit you to work).

American Embassies worldwide employ many local people, so the job opportunities there are more limited than what you might expect. And there’s plenty of competition.

And wages in Costa Rica, even for professionals, are ridiculously low as compared to those in North America. To hope to become employed in Costa Rica, even if you could do so legally, and to earn enough to live the lifestyle you live today, is very farfetched.

jultes

Yes, I just enquired about applying for residency and they said it takes approx 8 months to process it. It has thrown my plans off a bit so now I have to decide to wait or just come for 90 days and be prepared to maybe or maynot get back in to the country after renewing the visa. I was going to move around May of this year so it is good I am flexible and roll with the punches. it pays to keep up on the websites to find everchanging rules on immigration.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Which category of residency will you be applying for?

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”rrobinson98″]Hello,

I actually visted Costa Rica for the first time last year (Playa Flamingo, Guancaste area) and did not really like but the circumstances under which I visted had alot to do with it. Since then I have NOT been able to get Costa Rica off my mind. I really want to go back and REALLY get a grasp of what life is like there and would really solidfy if I want to relocate in a few years. I was thinking of maybe trying to get a job at the U.S. embassy. I have had such a hard time making in CAL, even though I was born and raised here. Just thinking this might be a change of pace but the Culture shock may be too much and I also do not know if the Government is corrupt or if I can make a decent living over there????

Any input is greatly appreciated![/quote]

I just wanted to confirm what Maravilla said. It is much more difficult for an American to work in Costa Rica than it is for a Latino to (illegally) work in the USA. And if you get caught working illegally in CR they can kick you out and not let you back in for 10 years or something like that. Basically CR is not a good place to look for work.

rrobinson98

[quote=”pdsnickles”][quote=”rrobinson98″]Hello,

I just wanted to confirm what Maravilla said. It is much more difficult for an American to work in Costa Rica than it is for a Latino to (illegally) work in the USA. And if you get caught working illegally in CR they can kick you out and not let you back in for 10 years or something like that. Basically CR is not a good place to look for work.[/quote]

Thank you, for all of your information. It looks like I will be staying here after all.

Doug Ward

[quote=”rrobinson98″][quote=”pdsnickles”][quote=”rrobinson98″]Hello,

I just wanted to confirm what Maravilla said. It is much more difficult for an American to work in Costa Rica than it is for a Latino to (illegally) work in the USA. And if you get caught working illegally in CR they can kick you out and not let you back in for 10 years or something like that. Basically CR is not a good place to look for work.[/quote]

Thank you, for all of your information. It looks like I will be staying here after all.[/quote]

No govt on earth is as corrupt as the USA and no country on earth has more bureaucrats than Costa Rica.Panama, Nicaragua and Ecuador are also a hell of a lot cheaper.

jultes

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Which category of residency will you be applying for?
    [/quote]
    Probably the rentista- not really sure I may deposit 1500000 in the bank because I do not have a guaranteed income.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Well, under current law that ($150,000US) is what it’ll take. And if anything, that requirement could go up as it did two or three years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.