condo purchase

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum condo purchase

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    metcalf

We are looking to purchase a condo on the water, oceanfront. We like the playa hermosa area, but dont know of any projects now or in the future, does any one know of any projects?? We are open to area also.. Thanks, Bob.

dkt2u

There are several projects in the area, but they vary in features, price, etc. Have you visited the area you are interested in?

*Lotus

There is a new condo being built on the water in playa hermosa(jaco) I just can not remember the name. One of the buildings was built and the other was about halfway done, this was in December 05. There is a large sign advertising it just as you enter hermosa.

lipskm

Hey, on another note. I know that you are near by. Did you see any movements on new Hills Of Esterillos development? Did they start any work yet?

*Lotus

Unfortunately I am back in NYC, so I don’t know…

lipskm

DKT2U you are in Esterillos. Do you see any work started in Hills of Esterillos?

dkt2u

I have met with both partners in the Hills of Esterillos project discussing with them selling lots in their project which they gave me the ok to represent, and discussing the over all project itself. Jeff told me that his partner Bob jumped the gun on having the signs made and putting them up. They only have title and permits for the 29 lots that front the entrance road to Esterillos Oeste. They have done some bulldozing and grading at the road by the highway just cleaning up the entrance in front of lots 1 through 4, but have not started any clearing in the project itself, and again, they will only be working on those front 29 lots at first. Jeff said that it could be 6 to 12 months before they start on the inside lots as they are still going through the permit and titling process. Jeff also said that most likely the cheapest house they will be building is $129K, and not the $89K that Bob put on the signs. One reason for that is they have modified the size of what they will be building and will most likely not be building the small 800 sq foot house that would have been $89K.

lipskm

Thanks. Do you know how many houses they are going to build? If 29 is just a begining.Are you saying that prices are high?

dkt2u

I believe they are going to be selling 119 homes in the project. I think in comparison to other projects in the area the homes they have planned are not way over priced, but I would not describe them as bargains either. I think you can always build cheaper yourself if you are able to find a suitable building site and do your homework before jumping into your own building project. One of the first steps would be to read Scott’s book. The infrastructure in and around Esterillos Oeste is good compared to many areas and the project is walking distance to the beach, small market,several resturants and bars, all of which adds to ones perceived value.

*Lotus

The thing I realy did not like about there projects was the way the houses are jammed together. Even in the Hills project things are pretty tight. Although contraversal(on this site) we bought a lot in Columbus heights when they were $30k for 1.25 acres so we could have a little space, they are now about 3/4 sold out and prices have doubled. Seems that things are going along well though, I spoke with the contractor they have hired and they confirmed that a contract has been signed with coastal management and they will soon begin the roads, water and electric. Guess i’ll see what kind of progress they have made when we go back in august. No doubt this area is on fire based on all the projects going on and in planning stages. I have spoken to several builders/architects and it appears we can build for $400- $600 a M2, just have to decide on who I am most comfortable with.

dkt2u

I agree that for the most part the Bejuco project is too tight. I think the Esterillos Hills project will be a little better. Many people do not like a lot of property to have to maintain, so there is always a buyer to fit each situation, style, or size. As with anything, you should always do your due diligence and study the area and determine what it is you are really looking for and what will make you feel the most comfortable. I know people who love highrise condo living in the city. Personally, that’s not for me. To each his own as they say.

*Lotus

You’re absolutely right.

lipskm

I am not looking to get land to take care of the grass. I have plenty work at my New York house (Lawn,Shrubs,Trees). I am looking for the place where I will enjoy life (at least couple of months per year). It is not nessesary to have many acres of land to do it. I like people and will be happy to see them, talk to them. I dont need to grow anything. Vegetables and fruits will buy at the market. I am going to purchase house in Hills of Esterillos. Very close to finish the deal. If you like can provide you with more details

*Lotus

Lipskm,
    Keep in mind you can pay someone about $100-$150 per month to take care of your property, we won’t manicure the entire 1.25 acres but do want a nice garden area aound the house. But I understand your point. We live in the city so our prioritys are a little different, we want fruit trees, a pool and some privacy.We have been going to this area for a few years now and have many friends both tico and expats. We also want to build and design our own house and were not too impressed with what Bob was building. I would keep this in mind though since in this project you are in very close proximity to your neighbors, If you get a rowdy group of surfers next door or someone who is renting out to a very young crowd it can be a problem.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.