Concession property bulldozing

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Concession property bulldozing

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    dbserv

Can anyone put to rest rumors about the muni bulldozing concession properties in Tarcoles/Playa Azule area? It is NOT a rumor that some properties have been bulldozed (numerous have) but the rumors are “Because Costa Rica needs to be attractive to the blossoming tourist trade” and “The homes block the ocean view from the highway” or “Being the flatest land North of Jaco, (the consession land) is being sold investors for high end hotels and will have a much improved infrastracture as compared to Jaco” even “There are plans for a huge marina to be built on the Tarcoles Crocodile River Tour site”. Does any reader here live in the area or has anyone heard about this?

agarcia

It doesn’t sound right to me. Being along the ‘poop’ river isn’t a big draw for most except to see the gators. From where did you hear these rumors?

dbserv

I gather you neither live in the area nor have any idea why the dozing is going on? “Rumors” are from just about everyone living in the area – bulldozing is a fact, that naturally, start rumors! I am only interested in knowing why the bulldozing? If anyone knows that . . . . 🙂

maravilla

they bulldozed several hotels in puerto viejo last summer for being on concession land. so it does happen, but i don’t know about the pacific side. if they’re bulldozing, they have a good reason, i’m sure.

agarcia

Since you live in the area why not ask the municipality? The last building I saw removed was Steve and Lisa’s and that was done after a court fight. It wasn’t bulldozed.

dbserv

Thanks guys! While we do have property in CR, we live in Canada. However, a Canadian friend (20 year resident of Tarcoles) e-mailed me about homes she has actually seen demolished (one in front of the owner and his lawyer). I guess there have been meetings with the Muni with no resolve – thus the rumors. Being curious, I thought I may get information here. Oh well! Have a Happy New Year! 🙂

watchdog

The question that needs to be asked and answered is, “Did the bulldozed structures exist on property with validly granted Concessions in favour of the property owner/occupier?” The land in many coastal areas still is not held in Concession. If the property wasn’t titled to the 50 meter mark above the high tide line prior to 1977, when the Maritime Zone Law came into effect and no Concession subsequently granted, then the next 150 meters inland from the 50 meter mark merely has contractual possession rights for the occupier. In those circumstances, no valid building permit can be obtained from the Municipality for any structure and any structure could be deemed illegal and subject to bulldozing by the Municipality, or other Government Agency.

juliab

Have you/your lawyer received a notice from the muni last year? They were sending some owners reqests to prove that the buildings existed for more than x number of years, and ifso they grandfather them. I don’t remember what x was. Anyway, if you’re worried, have a friend visit muni in Jaco and speak to Johny. To the best of my knowledge, they will be finishing plano reguladoro for Azul, Guacalillo and some other beach areas this year.

This is good news/bad news, depending on how you look at it. Good is that you’ll get a consession (if you applied, of course) that adds legality to “owning/using” land/house there, but you’ll also start paying for that consession.

BTW, with regards to the comment above that Tarcoles is a “poop” river, ALL big rivers on Pacific are poop rivers. If you lived in CR you’d know that. At least with Tarcoles there is a good chance that it will be cleaned once that sewage plant is built. Of course it will take many years, but at least there is a chance (and money). No such luck for other rivers.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.