Company relocating me to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Company relocating me to Costa Rica

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    seth

My apologies if the following questions have been answered and I missed them in the forums. The company I work for is relocating me and I will work in Heredia. I am trying to work out a budget but am having difficulty finding any info that is not “tourist” oriented. I will be there for 2-3 years and was hoping someone here would have suggestions for where I should look for places to rent, utility costs and so on.

Anyone..??

Once again, my apologies if this is the incorrect forum.

Thanks,

Seth

Andrew
    Keymaster

Heredia has just about everything you will need and a wide choice in real estate.

You will be able to rent a place for $400 per month or $3,000 it’s all up to you. Utility costs are increasing but are amongst the lowest in Central America.

Some live on much less but, I would suggest that as a young North American (forgive me for making assumptions) that AFTER paying for your accommodation, you should be able to live fairly well on US$1,000 per month.

The thing to bear in mind is that it is VERY difficult to find furnished real estate to rent! Some rentals don’t even have lightbulbs and you’ll certainly not find good kitchen appliances!

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

seth

Scott,

Thanks for the quick response and yes I am a “young North American” (If 38 is young ;0))
    And I appreciate the comment about furniture and appliances. I have been going back and forth with what to take and what to leave behind but it seems everyone I’ve spoken to is in agreement that taking kitchen appliances is a must. I know San Jose has an extensive bus system, but how about Heredia? This discussion forum has been quite educational, so thanks to you Scott for putting this together. I should be arriving in Costa Rica in a couple of weeks to check out the job site and start the hunt for a place to live – I’m very excited and can’t wait to get there.

Cheers,

Seth

Andrew
    Keymaster

Heck! Of course you’re young. At 38 you’re young and only a few years younger than I am at 46…

Hopefully you saw the Heredia apartotel postings on the forum today, that might be a good place to start:

The bus system throughout Costa Rica is really extraordinarily CHEAP and widespread! Take a look at the Costa Rica By Bus article at

If you would like to learn more, the two best websites about getting around using the bus system can be found at and which will give you all the information you ever wanted to know about the terrific Costa Rica bus system.

Scott

jasman

I also read in the Tico Times last December that they are planning to re-establish commuter train service between Heredia and San Jose. This should happen some time this summer.

Hola Scott,

Should I really bother with buying new appliances here and shipping them, rather than buying them in Costa Rica?

Are the savings that great?

I plan to buy an apartment, very soon, before I move down permanently.

Any web-sites of wholesalers, retailers or ways and means to get the best VALUE, notice I did not say price, but value – they deliver what you buy idea, and… Well I hope I have asked clearly enough, to meet my needs. I am very lazy and have become an armchair self-educator with the net, doing as much homework as is reasonable and possible.

I guess there are many places that offer what I need in terms of good quality appliances, and I would assume they do not all have web-sites in English or even have a web-site.

So a list of those appliance retailers/wholesalers in or around San Jose, might be very helpful to everyone.

Also a good reason for them to advertise on your excellent site.

Chao Chao, Kenny

Edited on Apr 25, 2006 12:19

Andrew
    Keymaster

Savings?

I would not recommend shipping appliances to Costa Rica at all… If you have somehting very unique and special – maybe! But standard appliances can be bought here no problem.

Can’t help you with specific site but if you Google for “Costa Rica electrodomesticos” you’re bound to find some …

Scott

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.