Cigars

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    camby

I know Costa Rica has cuban cigars, anyone know about rules taking them back to the US?

Honeymooned in Caymen’s 17 yrs ago and brought home 1 or 2 for my dad, put them wrapped up in suitcase-no huge box,etc…now with Patriot Act and all, not sure what people do…..anyone know?

Hate to take a cigar home and wind up water boarded in Turkmenistan…

Andrew
    Keymaster

You can buy Cuban cigars here but they are not cheap….

Would you consider Costa Rican cigar made from Cuban seed?

Some Tico cigars are truly awful but I have enjoyed the cigars from Tabacos de la Cordillera for years now…

IMHO the Fundación Ancestral Serie 1940 torpedo is phenomenal (enjoyed one last night listening to the Chayanne/Marc Anthony audience screaming in the stadium) and if you buy them by the box, it works out to about $4.50 each (if I remember correctly).

We have an article at:

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1608.cfm]Costa Rica Cigars: Tabacos de la Cordillera[/url] – Turning Back the Clock 50 Years.

Scott.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”camby”]I know Costa Rica has cuban cigars, anyone know about rules taking them back to the US?

Honeymooned in Caymen’s 17 yrs ago and brought home 1 or 2 for my dad, put them wrapped up in suitcase-no huge box,etc…now with Patriot Act and all, not sure what people do…..anyone know?

Hate to take a cigar home and wind up water boarded in Turkmenistan…[/quote]

Like with anything else made in Cuba, it is against the law to bring to States. You can however, carefully remove the clear wrapper (if any) then remove the paper label (ring) and bada bing, they become “Nicaraguan cigars”!

If they are for a gift, have someone else pack the wrapper and rings, then reverse the process back in the States.

Truthfully, I find Cohibas to be quite harsh, but the MonteCristos and Romeo y Julietas are prime! And Scott is right, many of the cigars made with Cuban seed but grown elsewhere are just as good if not better – and they are LEGAL!

VictoriaLST

I heard that an American can fly to Cuba from CR and that the Cuban officials will kindly NOT stamp your passport when you arrive. True or CR myth?

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]I heard that an American can fly to Cuba from CR and that the Cuban officials will kindly NOT stamp your passport when you arrive. True or CR myth?[/quote]

yes

davidd

there is a cool cigar bar downtown

hotel little havana

and they have authentic distribution

great cigar room although you cannot smoke in the bar you can in the humidor

camby

[quote=”Scott”]You can buy Cuban cigars here but they are not cheap….

Would you consider Costa Rican cigar made from Cuban seed?

Some Tico cigars are truly awful but I have enjoyed the cigars from Tabacos de la Cordillera for years now…

IMHO the Fundación Ancestral Serie 1940 torpedo is phenomenal (enjoyed one last night listening to the Chayanne/Marc Anthony audience screaming in the stadium) and if you buy them by the box, it works out to about $4.50 each (if I remember correctly).

We have an article at:

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1608.cfm]Costa Rica Cigars: Tabacos de la Cordillera[/url] – Turning Back the Clock 50 Years.

Scott.[/quote]

actually, I hear they are pretty good……was thinking of getting a few for my dad……I dont smoke normally, though a good cigar, might on rare occasion…..will keep that in mind…thanks, went to the AM CR site and read the article on Mr. Levy and his shop, prompted me to think about this….hate to get molested by TSA (who would then likely steal the smoke anyway.)coming back into US.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.