Chinese president enjoys coffee and snacks during Heredia visit

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Chinese president enjoys coffee and snacks during Heredia visit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    davidd

I thought this was nice

http://www.amcostarica.com/morenews2.htm

http://www.nacion.com/2013-06-04/ElPais/Presidente-de-China-Xi-Jinping-probo-arracache-y-empanadas-de-chiverre.aspx

I could not help but think how similar Obamas visit was to the Chinese president.

johnnyh

[quote=”davidd”]
    I thought this was nice

http://www.nacion.com/2013-06-04/ElPais/Presidente-de-China-Xi-Jinping-probo-arracache-y-empanadas-de-chiverre.aspx

I could not help but think how similar Obamas visit was to the Chinese president.
    [/quote

They must be fuming at the American embassy and the US state department. While the United States makes enemies throughout the world, the Chinese make friends. What a concept! Trade, and not war will benefit both the Costa Ricans and the Chinese.

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”johnnyh”][quote=”davidd”]
    I thought this was nice

[/quote

They must be fuming at the American embassy and the US state department. While the United States makes enemies throughout the world, the Chinese make friends. What a concept! Trade, and not war will benefit both the Costa Ricans and the Chinese.[/quote]

The Chinese are not looking for conquests… they’re looking for consumers! All part of a longterm plan that makes much more sense economically than war. Just look in your local stores here in Costa Rica. Cheap Chinese products are flooding in and displacing local products. You can even see it in the grocery stores with some food products.

The Chinese have two goals. Creating markets for their products to keep their economic engine running back at home to keep their people working and the the money flowing in.

The second goal is natural resources. They need them keep production going. So making “friends” that have them and opening trade routes is VERY important.

Who needs war when you can take down your enemy with “commerce”.

johnnyh

[quote=”imxploring”][quote=”johnnyh”][quote=”davidd”]
    I thought this was nice

[/quote

They must be fuming at the American embassy and the US state department. While the United States makes enemies throughout the world, the Chinese make friends. What a concept! Trade, and not war will benefit both the Costa Ricans and the Chinese.[/quote]

The Chinese are not looking for conquests… they’re looking for consumers! All part of a longterm plan that makes much more sense economically than war. Just look in your local stores here in Costa Rica. Cheap Chinese products are flooding in and displacing local products. You can even see it in the grocery stores with some food products.

The Chinese have two goals. Creating markets for their products to keep their economic engine running back at home to keep their people working and the the money flowing in.

The second goal is natural resources. They need them keep production going. So making “friends” that have them and opening trade routes is VERY important.

Who needs war when you can take down your enemy with “commerce”.[/quote]

Oh yes, I have thought about the trade off. Is Chinchilla selling Costa Ricans off like the American presidents have done with our citizens? Will Costa Ricans mortgage their country to China? But when was the last time that the Americans built a national stadium for Costa Rica. Have the Americans offered to build the highway to Limon? What has the United States done for Costa Rica lately? Besides, I’d rather have Chinese fast food places instead of unhealthy McDonalds and Carls Juniors.:D

VictoriaLST

Little countries with limited resources need to ‘make nice’ with superpowers as a matter of policy. CR seems to be doing an ok job in that respect.

As to the fast food, Chinese fast food places have been found to put cardboard in their food as an extender. I’d rather have a burger.

watchdog

The real interest in Costa Rica by the Chinese is increasing their market quotas by “back-dooring” their manufactured goods into the U.S. Market using the TLC (Free Trade Agreement) between the U.S. and Costa Rica, and shark fins. The rest is just “window dressing”. It is not realistic to think that a market of 4 million people would be of any interest to the Chinese.

davidd

hahahah

Sweikert is back ,LOL

[quote=”sweikert925″][quote=”johnnyh”]
    But when was the last time that the Americans built a national stadium for Costa Rica.
    [/quote]

Well, never. But in the 50 years after 1945 the US has contributed nearly $3 billion in direct foreign aid to Costa Rica, so the US can hardly be accused of stinginess when it comes to aiding CR. It’s true that it hasn’t often resulted in a nice new gleaming edifice that can be used as a photo op backdrop when a head of state comes by to visit.

The US has also sent over 3000 Peace Corps volunteers to CR since 1963 and it seems to me just that alone has made more of a real difference to the lives of CR citizens than a dozen soccer stadiums could ever do.

As to WHY the Chinese built a soccer stadium for a foreign country as a “gift”, it should be pointed out that prior to 2007, Costa Rica recognized the government in Taiwan as the legitimate government of China. In 2007 CR switched its recognition to Beijing and several years later a new Chinese financed soccer stadium opens. I hardly think those 2 things are unconnected.

By the way, CR isn’t the only country that China built a soccer stadium for – Angola and Mozambique also got one. Coincidentally(?), all 3 countries have considerable natural resources. Sudan, Romania and Afghanistan haven’t gotten a stadium from China but its rumored that Afghanistan may have large untapped mineral resources so it may get one yet.

[quote=”johnnyh”]
    Have the Americans offered to build the highway to Limon? [/quote]

No. But is that statement meant seriously or are you playing devil’s advocate? Given our own crumbling infrastructure why would we be building highways in CR when our own are in such need of repair?

[quote=”johnnyh”]What has the United States done for Costa Rica lately?
    [/quote]

Well, we did contribute to disaster relief after both the 2009 and 2012 earthquakes. Since the late 90s US aid to CR has declined quite a bit but it hasn’t yet reached zero and there are still Peace Corps volunteers there now. Most Americans according to polls think that given our financial situation we shouldn’t even be spending one dollar on foreign aid to ANYONE. I don’t agree with that but we certainly can’t afford to be as generous as we used to until we get our financial house in order.
    [/quote]

davidd

The Chinese are actually smarter when it comes to giving out money

they know that giving $$$ to costa rica directly would likely be misdirected

so they build a stadium instead or donate a bridge, etc

better publicity and also put some Chinese to work so they got a double bang for the buck.

can you imagine how long it would have taken costa rica to build that stadium if the money was given to them directly LOL

the U.S. just throws money at everything. this is how they try to buy loyalty.

and there is also always a price and that usually is never known until in the future.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/02/health/research/02infect.html?_r=0

johnnyh

Well, I’m definitely taking notes of your replies, and will check for cardboard in my Chinese food next time I go to C.R. 😯 I always check for cat beef here in California.
    Since China is building the road to Limon, which by the way I think it’s great considering the expansion of the port at Moin will bring extra traffic, but does that mean that Chinese workers will be used? Someone mentioned that if Costa Rican labor is used, it would take eons. Another question is will it use one of the two asphalt grades that seems to not last, or will the Chinese use concrete which is the best and better lasting road surface. It just doesn’t make sense to use asphalt on a highway that will be trafficked by heavy trucks.
    Both the expansion of the port facilities and a new highway should bring an economic benefit to the Limon province. Or will the benefits just go to San Jose and the deep pockets?

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”watchdog”]The real interest in Costa Rica by the Chinese is increasing their market quotas by “back-dooring” their manufactured goods into the U.S. Market using the TLC (Free Trade Agreement) between the U.S. and Costa Rica and shark fins. The rest is just “window dressing”. It is not realistic to think that a market of 4 million people would be of any interest to the Chinese.[/quote]

EVERY market has value to the Chinese! Remember a nickel doesn’t seem like much but 20 of them add up to a dollar.

The other issue is natural resources! One of the announced deal was teak going to China…. which will be manufactured into cheap outdoor furniture and sold worldwide. Costa Rica also has untapped other resources (like oil) that will become more important to the Chinese over time. Food product will become an issue as the Chinese try to feed their population. Another announced deal was milk going to China….

These are longterm thinkers you’re dealing with…. unlike most of the politicians in the US.

costaricabill
    Participant

[quote=”davidd”]The Chinese are actually smarter when it comes to giving out money

better publicity and also put some Chinese to work so they got a double bang for the buck.

can you imagine how long it would have taken costa rica to build that stadium if the money was given to them directly LOL

and there is also always a price and that usually is never known until in the future.

[/quote]

The Chinese also got the fishing rights to fish within 12 miles off of the pacific coast of costa rica – and figure that into your price that “usually is never known until in the future”.

Panama’s fishing limit is 200 miles, Nicaragua is (I believe) 50 miles off of the coast. Costa Rica has huge purse seiner factory ships 12 miles off of the coast!!

Have you noticed what has happened to the availability of – and price of – seafood in Costa Rica over the past 3-4 years??

Have you heard anything about the decrease in the sport fishing industry in Costa Rica over the past few years?

Do you have any idea what the effect on the Costa Rica economy is from allowing the Chinese fishing fleet to operate within 12 miles of our coast?? How many local jobs have been effected – not just the guys willing to hire on as commercial fisherman, but
    the guys in the port that unload the bounty,
    that transport the bounty,
    that clean the bounty,
    that sell the bounty,
    that prepare the bounty,
    that cook the bounty.
    that serve the bounty,
    those of us that buy the bounty!!

the effect is up and down the economy!

How much was your casado con pescado 4 years ago versus the price today? How often does your favorite restaurant have fresh atun today versus 4 years ago, and when they do have it, what is the price difference?

I’m sure the Chinese President enjoyed his coffee in the morning, but I’m sure he enjoyed his shark fin soup and fresh tuna even more in the evening!

Way to go, don oscar!

davidd

Costaricabill

wow!!!

great points that I was not even aware of. thanks for bringing these up

your right.. sadly.. I have noticed why fish had been on the rise.

you know what is a person to do

you basically have 2 choices

you either get involved in some way to fight the

or you try to opt out as much as you can

aquaponics is a perfect example as I have a friend that has a nice farm and grows his own tilapia, and a few other varieties

where ever you live here is one constant

Government is corrupt

simple

the larger the government the more corrupt

this is why our founding fathers knew.. smaller gov.. limited gov..

[quote=”costaricabill”][quote=”davidd”]The Chinese are actually smarter when it comes to giving out money

[/quote]

The Chinese also got the fishing rights to fish within 12 miles off of the pacific coast of costa rica – and figure that into your price that “usually is never known until in the future”.

Panama’s fishing limit is 200 miles, Nicaragua is (I believe) 50 miles off of the coast. Costa Rica has huge purse seiner factory ships 12 miles off of the coast!!

Have you noticed what has happened to the availability of – and price of – seafood in Costa Rica over the past 3-4 years??

Have you heard anything about the decrease in the sport fishing industry in Costa Rica over the past few years?

Do you have any idea what the effect on the Costa Rica economy is from allowing the Chinese fishing fleet to operate within 12 miles of our coast?? How many local jobs have been effected – not just the guys willing to hire on as commercial fisherman, but
    the guys in the port that unload the bounty,
    that transport the bounty,
    that clean the bounty,
    that sell the bounty,
    that prepare the bounty,
    that cook the bounty.
    that serve the bounty,
    those of us that buy the bounty!!

the effect is up and down the economy!

How much was your casado con pescado 4 years ago versus the price today? How often does your favorite restaurant have fresh atun today versus 4 years ago, and when they do have it, what is the price difference?

I’m sure the Chinese President enjoyed his coffee in the morning, but I’m sure he enjoyed his shark fin soup and fresh tuna even more in the evening!

Way to go, don oscar![/quote]

ddspell12

Beleive me the Chinese govt does not have the good will or interest of Costa Rica or it’s people at heart. They only view this as another avenue of bolstering their economy. Wolves come in sheeps clothing.

pharg
    Participant

[quote=”ddspell12″]Beleive me the Chinese govt does not have the good will or interest of Costa Rica or it’s people at heart. They only view this as another avenue of bolstering their economy. Wolves come in sheeps clothing.[/quote]

In 1899-1901 the Righteous Harmony Society reacted violently to unwanted foreign economic domination and subversion of society. The response by foreign military intervention resulted in many atrocities on both sides and well over a hundred thousand deaths. We know it more familiarly as the Boxer Rebellion in China, and the foreign dominators were Britain, the U.S., Germany, Russia, and Japan. It changed the course of history in China.
    Now, ironically, we have the Chinese exerting economic domination (and some would add, societal subversion) in numerous countries around the world, including Costa Rica, and possibly Nicaragua if canal plans go forward..

Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it. ? Edmund Burke

costaricabill
    Participant

Scott –
    ¿Qué ha pasado?
    Your post and my response both disappeared. Let’s be fair to all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.