Chicken Fighting

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Chicken Fighting

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    cmcintire
    Participant

David,

I am a frequent reader, but an infrequent poster to this sight. I just got through reading A.M. Costa Rica and was wondering if that was you who wrote the opinion piece. If so I applaude you and could not agree more. Job well done.
    Thanks for all of your sound advice on this forum as well.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

How many of us could the world tolerate? Yes, ’twas I.

And thank you for your kind sentiments.

I could not find the article, but I have been reading about the chicken fight problem (and also dog fights) in La Nacion. I would love to grab those macho-guys by the throat, put sharp spurs on their hands and feet, throw them in a pit and have them fight. Would be interesting to see how “macho” they really are.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Elisabeth, you’re pretty close to what I suggested in the letter AM Costa Rica published last week.

[quote=”DavidCMurray”]Elisabeth, you’re pretty close to what I suggested in the letter AM Costa Rica published last week.
    [/quote]

😀 and I could have said much more (and many many bad words)

wspeed1195

There’s a whole segment of society that you don’t have to put spurs on someone’s hands and have them fight. Long before UFC there was club fighting and backyard fighting.
    YouTube Kimbo Slice, some of us grew up this way.
    My father was A power lineman back in the 50’s when they ran power across the continent. When work got slow he lumberjacked. Many was the time, my momma told the stories, they would be down on their luck and he would fight at the line yards and lumber mills and camps.
    When they settled in Miami he continued to scrap. At the airboat camps, at the Hialeah stock car track, the old drag strip at the abandon air force runway off of 27 ave.
    I was brought up to do the same thing.
    Theonly difference being in the 70’s and 80’s they would lock us up for underground fighting.
    Now they make millions of dollars as UFC fighters.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

You are certainly correct that there has always existed an underground (or above ground) fighting “industry” among human beings. Ultimate Fighting is but a step up in violence from boxing, full contact karate, etc. It is, indeed, in our collective blood.

The critical difference between human fighting contests of various stripes and fighting contests between animals is that humans, possessed of free will and generally in control of their own destinies, have the choice to participate or not.

What you relate suggests that when money was tight your father did what he felt he felt he had to. In the extreme, he could have committed robberies, sold drugs, or engaged in other legal or illegal activities. He chose to fight. (Understand, please, that I am not being critical but only reflecting on the facts.)

Chickens, dogs, bulls and bears, cobras and mongooses, and other animals whose fate is controlled by humans have no such control. They may be bred and trained to have a fighting spirit, but the option to be torn to pieces by another animal, solely for the enjoyment of human beings, is not theirs to exercise. They, unlike us, have no choice.

Andrew
    Keymaster

It seems to me that in the past few weeks – with three big negative stories – Costa Rica’s reputation as a environmentally concerned nation has been severely damaged….

1. The new 163 KM road cut out of the earth with no plans and an extremely high probability that this has caused serious environmental damage.

2. The ongoing publicity campaign where some people are trying to promote professional, big-money chicken fights even though they are illegal but, which are apparently still very popular.

3. Lastly, while Costa Rica seems to have difficulty keeping petty criminals off the streets even after their 50th offense, Costa Rica doesn’t seem to have a problem wanting to extradite Paul Watson – a world renowned environmentalist – to Costa Rica to stand trial to face trivial charges of “putting a ship’s crew in danger” when he had been here trying to prevent the truly horrific shark finning off the coast of the country…

Would you agree?

Scott

Versatile

[quote=”wspeed1195″]There’s a whole segment of society that you don’t have to put spurs on someone’s hands and have them fight. Long before UFC there was club fighting and backyard fighting.
    YouTube Kimbo Slice, some of us grew up this way.
    My father was A power lineman back in the 50’s when they ran power across the continent. When work got slow he lumberjacked. Many was the time, my momma told the stories, they would be down on their luck and he would fight at the line yards and lumber mills and camps.
    When they settled in Miami he continued to scrap. At the airboat camps, at the Hialeah stock car track, the old drag strip at the abandon air force runway off of 27 ave.
    I was brought up to do the same thing.
    Theonly difference being in the 70’s and 80’s they would lock us up for underground fighting.
    Now they make millions of dollars as UFC fighters.
    [/quote]

My dad worked in CCC Camps during the depression. They were in Arkansas and for Saturday night fun they had Bare knuckle Fist fights. The sheriff was the referee and my dad told me he wasn’t very good and he had a chipped front tooth to prove it.

[quote=”Scott”]It seems to me that in the past few weeks – with three big negative stories – Costa Rica’s reputation as a environmentally concerned nation has been severely damaged….

1. The new 163 KM road cut out of the earth with no plans and an extremely high probability that this has caused serious environmental damage.

2. The ongoing publicity campaign where some people are trying to promote professional, big-money chicken fights even though they are illegal but, which are apparently still very popular.

3. Lastly, while Costa Rica seems to have difficulty keeping petty criminals off the streets even after their 50th offense, Costa Rica doesn’t seem to have a problem wanting to extradite Paul Watson – a world renowned environmentalist – to Costa Rica to stand trial to face trivial charges of “putting a ship’s crew in danger” when he had been here trying to prevent the truly horrific shark finning off the coast of the country…

Would you agree?

Scott
    [/quote]

FULLY AGREE !! And there goes Mrs. President, trying to convince the world about happy Ticolandia ……

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”elindermuller”][ And there goes Mrs. President, trying to convince the world about happy Ticolandia ……[/quote]

Well, Elisabeth, what would you have her do? Is it realistic to expect her to be telling tales of woe all over the world? I’ll bet there are things about living around Lake Arenal that might put some folks off, but as one whose business is promoting it, we don’t expect to hear all those negatives from you. Sra. Presidenta is no different.

What’s more, I’ll bet she did ask the Pope’s blessing on Costa Rica when she met him. Can’t hurt . . .

aguirrewar

GOOGLE

Captain Paul Watson and find out what a “BLACK” eye CR is getting alllLLL over the world

some forums have come out with a position to BOYCUT CR and Paul said “NO”

Paul was at a Conference in Germany when the GOVT. of CR asked for an arrest warrant against Paul, he landed in JAIL in Germany for 9 days thanks to this request to the INTERPOL

and while Laura was in Germany, 300 Germans protested in front of Laurita’s HOTEL

CR being ECO-friendly???

look up the protests against her in PUNTARENAS and in favor of Paul

Paul was on his way to CR in his ship the (SEA Sheaperd) when he found out a ship from Puntarenas that was harvesting sharks in a protected ZONE

and he was going to CR to provide the same safe support he did in the Galapagos for Isla del COCO and for FREE to both of them

find out the dates he went to a trial in Puntarenas and both times he was absolved but now 12 years later CR has a solid case against him

I think “TAIWAN” and their mentality of justice is being practiced in CR

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.