Cheap Flight alert

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cheap Flight alert

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

Just booked American Airlines flight round trip from Los Angeles to San Jose for $294.00 per person – booked through Orbitz.com.
    Lasca & Taca have similar prices for the pre Christmas period.

rebaragon

There seem to be a lot posts lately about these cheaper airfares. Is this sale just pre-Christmas or does the fare hold through the holidays? I was also wondering if anyone knows how tourism is doing in CR these days. Do you think it’s just the airlines trying to drum up more US-CR business during this economically sluggish time in the US or something else?

frettless

I’m booked out of Orlando connecting in Miami (I hate that airport!) with an AA Netsaver fare of $178. These fares don’t come along every day so I had to jump on it and will be in CR 11/23-12/03. I think that AA does this if the seats aren’t selling quickly enough. When a certain amount are sold the fares are offerred at a rate of about $545 out of Tampa or Orlando. I live in Sarasota and starting next year I can at least get to Miami with American Eagle and won’t have to drive to TPA.

Peg

I think you will find Spirit has the lowest fares now out of Tampa or Orlando. American also has sales , but since Spirit opened the CR routes they have been very low. I checked last week for Thanksgiving week, it was $138
    RT.

rf2cr
    Participant

Peg,

Spirit may be the cheapest but unless they have improved since May, I’ll pay a bit more for almost any airlines.

Peg

rf2cr

What’s the problem with Spirit?

dhsbooker

Peg, this is from a prior post.
    Posted Sep 26,2007 1:27 PM dhsbooker
    crhomebuilder,
    I’m glad to hear that you had NO problems with Spirit. Mu husband and I just got done recently flying with them as well. We did not have the same luck. I had originally purchased 2 Rt tickets from Tampa to C.R. in April. I was checking there website and noticed that the flight for our travel dates was greatly reduced, so I called them and paid the $140.00 penalty on my charge to in return receive a credit voucher for $424.00 good till April of 2008! So far so good! I had all my e-tickets with pre-paid baggage and seat assignments when we left on 8/31/07. Our return flight from C.R. was on 9/7/07 and when we got to the airport we were told that we had cancelled oour flight! The only way that we could leave was to purchase a one way ticket back to Florida! He said he had no idea of what had happened and I would have to take it up with the airlines when we got home. I now had to charge #434.00 for one way tickets. He then had the nerve to want to charge me for our luggage as well! That didn’t happen.
    There was no problen leaving C.R., but when we got to Ft. Lauderdale, my husband was flagged for having a one way ticket. There is a code of ssss on the ticket.

I immediatley called Spirit the next day and was on hold for 2/1/2 hours without ever reaching a person! I called back 4 more times that day, as when I did finally get through after at least a 1/2 each call, I was allways disconnected when they put me on hold. There is no longer a local number in the states to reach them. The calls are routed to either the Phillipines or the Dominican Republic. When I finally reached a supervisor after at least 5-6 phone calls, she told me it was AGENT ERROR. I am still making calls to them as I have not been credited to my credit card as of today.
    I also have a friend who told me she had a problem and it took a year for her refund. They have also been in the news here with another issue lately.

I am just writing this to advise people to beware and make sure that when they are leaving the states that it shows that there is a return flight in the system again.
    I’m sure many people have flown without incidence, but there customer service is horrible!

Deb

frettless

Thanks Peg & Deb. I will do my dilligence. It would be great to avoid connecting in Miami. The wait for a gate is at least 20 minutes from the time that you land and it’s been even longer. It’s a hike from one terminal to the next and you need to go through security again unless you are lucky enough to arrive at the same terminal that you are departing from. I almost missed my connection to SJO twice!

Peg

Frettless
    I just read in the Tico Times that American Airlines is going to start a direct flight from Ft. Lauderdale to SJO. It will be one daily flight down and back, leaving Fla. at 2:30pm and arriving around 4:30, then turning around and going back about an hour later. This may be a little more convenient than Miami.

dhsbooker

Just an update to say that I finally received my refund from Spirit! It only took about 10 to 15 phone calls. I did send an email, which you really have to search for in their website, and after weeks the response back was that my creidt card was given a credit. Since this was finally settled, I went ahead and purchased our next trip, since I had a voucher with them. The trip is only costing us $2.78! I will make very certain thatwhen I leave from Tampa that non one is going to be cancelling my return flight. We will see what happens this time.

*Lotus

That’s the spirit!! (sorry lol..)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.