Charles Zeller/ Ship to Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Charles Zeller/ Ship to Costa Rica

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    mediatica

I just wanted to put in a plug for Charles Zeller with Ship to Costa Rica. My husband and I shipped our belongings and our car in a 40′ container on the 9th. It just arrived to San Jose today from Tampa, Florida! Not too bad afer only 8 days in transit! I am not even in Costa Rica until Thursday, so the belongings got there before we did. I just wanted to say that he has been great to deal with, reasonably priced and really exceeded my and my husbands expectations! If only everything else in life could go this smooth!

Becky & Keith Clower

kimyoa650

Hi Becky,

Are there any duties/taxes for importing the car into Costa Rica?

mediatica

Hi. Yes, there are high taxes on your car. I opted to drive the car for 6 months on a tourist visa and pay my taxes this year. The taxes on the rest of my belongings was $1,500 approximately. In hind sight, I probably would have purchased my car in Costa Rica, but I had already committed to shipping it. It’ll be nice to have my own car too, since I’ve been the only driver and it’s a perfect 4×4 for the area. The taxes on my car will unfortunately be a staggering $10,800 according to my mover… yikes! I know that there is a site to look up your taxes (because I’ve done it before) but the address slips my mind. I’m sure someone else can chime in with it.

harvcarp

Charles can supply the tax figures for you. Just advise him of the year and model, etc.

Hi! I just spoke with Barry who also ships lots of crates out of the US. He advised that if you want to ship a used auto, that upgrading from a 20’to a 40’crate would allow room for an auto and that it would only cost an additional $1000. from the LA area. He also advised that the lowest rate of tax on a reliable small 4×4, used, would be a 2004. The CRV, Rev 4, Xtera, etc. were makes he suggested for the rough roads. Barry’s email is Barry1@ice.co.cr and his phone number is 843-278-5573. I can’t recommend him because I have not yet used his services. I do plan to, though, as he is a wealth of information!

kimyoa650

$10800 just for taxes? Is this a luxury vehicle? It does sound like purchasing a vehicle locally might be more cost effective.

mediatica

Kimyoa650, this is NOT a luxury car. It’s a 2006 Nissan Xterra 4×4. And, consider this. My car in Costa Rica would be about $7,000 more (give or take) to buy there. So, in reality, I paid about $4,000 more to bring my own car. I can’t vouch for the quality of the Nissan Xterras there either. But, like I said, I should’ve bought my car there. Oh well.

kimyoa650

Hi,

Can you kindly clarify for me? A 2006 Xterra is about $24000 here plus the tax ($10800) and shipping (?) it costs you more than $34800.

How much would the same vehicle costs if bought over there?

Thanks,

Tony

mediatica

Hi there. The Xterra cost me $27,500 brand new (it’s a 4×4 off road edition). That’s not even available over there. A regular Xterra costs around $30,000 (including the tax). My parents also saw their Ford Escape costs $5,000 more in Costa Rica. That ‘tax’ is still there in Costa Rica, just less and hidden into the price. Just because you buy a car there doesn’t mean you don’t pay tax. You just don’t pay as much. Hope that helps.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Yup, $11K import duty on a 2006 Xterra isn’t a surprise. What’s more, it will have to pass a technical and emissions inspection. They’re not free.

Costa Rica is not looking to have older model cars imported, so while the assessed *value* of your older vehicle will be less, the taxation *rate* actually goes up. And you’re paying duty not only on the “Black Book” value of the car itself but also on the shipping and insurance charges.

I’ve learned that cars sold in the U.S. market are not necessarily the same mechanically as those sold elsewhere despite the fact that your Xterra, for example, may look and feel exactly like one sold by Agencia Datsun here in San Jose. This is also true, by the way, for some non-Big Three cars sold in the U.S. Life gets interesting when you need parts.

gw43198

So we may be better off buy there is that what might be best? Are most makes available?
    Guy

GringoTico

Buy you car there. You’ll pay less, experience less hassle, have greater access to parts, get better resale value, own a product made for that market, and drive a vehicle that does not stick out. I drove my old car there, then abandoned it in lieu of paying outrageous taxes (which change frequently). I’ve bought and sold several vehicles there, which was much easier.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

What he said!

New or used, there will be much less hassle and maybe less expense if you buy a car here in Costa Rica. You may get away with a 20-foot shipping container which will be a savings, too.

Just one word of caution: In the wake of last year’s hurricanes in the U.S., the insurance companies totalled hundreds of thousands of flooded out cars. The numbers I’ve read are between 400,000 and 650,000. When they total a car, the insurance company takes title to it. And you may be sure that if they can find a buyer, they’ll sell that flooded car to anybody who wants it.

Point is: If you buy a U.S.-origin car here in Costa Rica, especially if it has a State inspection sticker from the southeastern U.S., please drop $25 or so on a CarFax on-line check of its history. Maybe you don’t want to own those problems.

Edited on Oct 19, 2006 11:25

Article published on this website:Costa Rica Cars – New or Used?
    Russ Martin
    “If you are considering a move to Costa Rica, one major decision you’ll have to make is about how to get around.” This article gives great info.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.