Cell Phone Usage in C.R.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cell Phone Usage in C.R.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    uptik

Hi everyone, I’m going to be in C.R. at end of April, I’m planning staying for two weeks, any suggestions on what would be the most efficient and inexpensive way of getting a cell phone to make local calls, and make calls to Florida to stay in touch with my customers. I’m bringing my cell phone with AT&T service, I’ve heard it can be expensive to answer the phone or make calls from my service provider (At&t). Also, the last time I was In C.R. my customers knew I was out of the country by the way my cell phone ranged. I’m planning to move to C.R. soon and I will be making frequent trips to C.R. and would like to make my transition gradually without loosing any business during this process.
    Thank You everyone!!!!!

eehorobec

The last time we were there (in December 2007) we rented a cell phone from the rental car company. It was very reasonable–I think about $3.00 a day. I don’t remember the maximum daily minutes, but we wanted it to be able to reach the US in case of an emergency. Anyway, if you’re renting a car, it would be worth looking into.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I would suggest you contact my British friend Nick Daines on 239 6731 for the office and mobile is 349-1114 or email him at: kbcomms@yahoo.co.uk

He has helped a number of our VIP Members with cellphone rentals and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive but remember, he does talk with a ‘funny’ accent.

Nick’s cellphone will work fine with the Tico Talk & Save Calling Card account (only .20 cents per minutes) which you can see at [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/1378.cfm ]

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

jafranz

Check out Skype with using your computer. Calls from CR to US .02cents a minute.

grb1063

Apparently, ICE is supposed to buy 1.4 million G3 technology cells so that SIM chips with our US phones will be interchangeable to plug into the CR system. Anyone else heard anything of substance along these lines?

dehaaij

Your question is a little confusing the way you have worded it. ICE will be installing a new 3G network (third generation, i.e. internet, data, video, multimedia, etc.) in 2009 with the capacity for 1.5 million lines (cell phone numbers). There is nothing special about the SIM cards or the compatibility with US phones. The new 3G network is just more technologically advanced, offering more services.

Any GSM phone on the market that is unlocked (meaning not tied to a certain provider like AT&T) will work in Costa Rica as long as it operates on ICE’s frequency – remember, they are the only game in town. This is the case today, as we speak, so I’m not sure I understand when you say that your US phones will be interchangeable to plug into the CR system. Unlocked GSM phones are widely available on the internet. If you already have an ICE SIM card (a line) then all you do is pop that chip into your new phone. If you don’t have a line with ICE yet, then you need to be a resident, have a corporation or rent one from somebody. If you are going after new line, you will need an ICE recommended phone with a sales receipt or a receipt showing that you paid taxes on it when you brought it into the country. A way around this is to buy a cheap local phone, use it to get your line, then put the SIM card into your expensive phone you smuggled in. People die for this “interchangeability” and I mean that literally. It’s been happening for years.

editer

dehaaij, when you say that people literally “die for this ‘interchangeability,'” you have to explain exactly how this happens.

editer

dehaaij

By this I mean when someone wants to slide their SIM chip into your phone, or to be more realistic, sell your phone to someone else that wants to slide their chip into it. This is usually done with a gun pointed in your face. Those who refuse are usually shot. Deaths from cell phone robberies are on the order of 10-12 per year, or once a month. I can give references if you’d like.

Shame that there was a 17 year-old who died last night just hours after I posted that because he refused to hand over his backpack (rucksack for the brits) because his cell phone was inside.

I am hoping ICE will make the “interchangeability” more difficult. It doesn’t have to be this way.

Edited on Apr 09, 2008 16:12

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.