Cell Phone Provider in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cell Phone Provider in Costa Rica

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mbrydenthal

Does anyone have a reccomendation for a cell phone provider for the Samara area….or has anyone used an international phone???

Matt Brydenthal
    Flagstaff, AZ

wmaes47

Matt

There is only one cell phone provider in Costa Rica and it is a government agency, I.C.E. Most of the new service is provided on their newest GSM towers.

I do know of one US based carrier that has an agreement with I.C.E. to use their cell towers. It is T-Mobile.

You will need to call T-Mobile before you leave the States to have the service turned on. This is not a good idea, as your cost per minute is currently at US$2.00

There are three suggestions I will suggest:

1) Rent a GSM phone in Costa Rica for anywhere from $39 to $69 a week with unlimited calls within Costa Rica. Calling outside Costa Rica with this phone gets expensive. TDMA is going by the wayside.

2) Buy a 198 or 199 calling card to call outside the country with your rented phone. This will be about .13 cents a minute to call the States.

3) If you have a Costa Rican Corporation you can buy a cell line for the corporation at a basic rate of $6 a month for a maximum of 60 minutes. There are no other plans available and you will pay for extra minutes. Unlocked GSM cell phones are available on E-Bay. You will need the CR corporation CEDULA and the sales receipt for the GSM phone to receive a SIM card for your phone.

I did find that when I travel in and out of Costa Rica I can have my cell line turned on and off when needed and the monthly bill can be paid online through a CR bank as Banco de Costa Rica.

This should give a basic insight.

mbrydenthal

THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION!!

A few clarifications….I apologize for my ignorance…

1)All my calls will be incoming from the states….being paid with a calling card on their end…..

2)GSM phone- Do you know who I can call to rent one??

3)CEDULA – is that the paperwork for the corporation??

Sorry—-but thanks for all the info!!

Matt

jimliesen122

Great info above, but only one small add-on. Cingular works the same way as T-Mobile – the costs are similarly expensive as well, but if you need it, it is seamless service, just like the locals.

guru

We were told by THREE representitive of Verizon that after turning on international calling our phones would work in Costa Rica. . I had my doubts and was not surprised when they DID NOT WORK. DO NOT believe what a US carrier says unless they can be very specific about their service in CR.

We had a nice discussion with the Verizon rep when we got back. I think the problem may be many people do not know the difference between Puerto Rico and Costa Rica. . . But folks dealing with international services in the US SHOULD.

On the other hand calls on the plan are pretty cheap from the US to our friends in CR.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.