Cell phone fine for use while driving

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cell phone fine for use while driving

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    smekuly

Scott

congratulations……… you broke your cherry LOL

I was waiting for a report with graphs showing you how much worse it is back in the states regarding traffic fines. ๐Ÿ˜€

Article at: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/3117.cfm ]

I also recently got a ticket while in NY for the same offense. $100.

pura vida

steve

Andrew
    Keymaster

I will gladly accept the exorbitant Costa Rica traffic fines over the outrageously exorbitant federal, state, city and property taxes I used to pay when I lived in New York City and later in Westchester County, NY…

I’ll let you know how I get on with the “appeal.”

PS. Cherries are probably THE most expensive fruit I can think of in Costa Rica…

smekuly

Scott

I LOVE Cherries ๐Ÿ˜€ my favorite fruit

scott you say that now. but being in the speculative business of forecasting the future how long do you think it will be before costa rica begins it decent into the same path as the U.S. but worse since the level of corruption here is on a lower street level than the states.

think about it. the MOPT fines seem to have been deemed successful when comparing the perception of lower street vehicle type of infractions.

the next step is right out of U.S. recent history…

cameras installed everywhere and tickets will be issued automatically. so you get tickets via courier. once they gain momentum with this system and it proves to “profitable” ( oops… there is that ugly word) it will continue. I am hoping that costa rica will NOT be able to execute this properly.. but miracles do happen. ๐Ÿ˜€

whats next????.mmmm can anyone else chime in and take a guess what will be the newest laws to protect us from ourselves via fines or taxes??? anyone??

it may turn out in a few years we may have to either move out of the country or move to an isolated part of the country like this guy did. has anyone ever seen the longest running classified real esate ad on craigs list ๐Ÿ˜†

INCREDIBLE 84 MOUNTAIN TOP ACRES w/2 HOUSES A PLACE OF PEACE +BEAUTY (SEATED 1000′ ABOVE BEAUTIFUL, SECLUDED LAKE ARENAL)

but he is trying to get out of costa rica so what are we supposed to do now LOL

scott.. I think you should never leave your penthouse.. its safer up there.

waggoner41

[quote=”smekuly”] scott.. I think you should never leave your penthouse.. its safer up there.[/quote]

After being hit by a motorcyclist occupied with his cell phone, being nearly run off the road by a driver occupied with his cell phone and being caught up in a line of traffic behind a driver talking on his cell phone while driving down the highway to Ciudad Colon at 10 KPH I think maybe smekuly has a point.

Andrew
    Keymaster

I’m trying to spend less time in the penthouse and more time up at the mountain with my hummingbirds …

It’s magical up there there (no traffic and no cops either) and at any one time we have – at a minimum – 25 hummers at the feeders…

I took this photo [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/viewimage.cfm?ImgID=821 ]there last weekend…

Pura vida!

waggoner41

[quote=”Scott”]I’m trying to spend less time in the penthouse and more time up at the mountain with my hummingbirds …[/quote]

I’d take the mountain over the city every time.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Extortionately high parking fines, are worth appealing, but driving and using a cell phone is your own fault/choice … so pay up ๐Ÿ™„

maravilla

what’s the fine for texting while driving??? now that has to be one of the most stupid things to do! followed by talking on the cel phone and trying to drive with one hand at breakneck speed on the pista.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We had a cyclist pass us, while texting, going in the wrong direction along the highway the other day…:roll:
    And definitely agree that they should be fined a higher amount than for using a cellular phone!

maravilla

the higher fine is that they often get killed doing that, but they also often kill innocent people. i don’t even get how they think it’s a good idea to text while driving or cycling.

sprite

Studies show that people are not as good at multi tasking as they think they are. I can spot a driver using a cell phone from a great distance…they drive in a unique and obvious way..they stay too long at stops, they drive more slowly than surrounding traffic, they keep a football field’s distance from the car in front of them…in other words, they drive like very ancient people…slow and sloppy.

I have used the cell phone while driving and I deplore it. I tell myself I am a better driver than 99% of the others on the road who are all morons…but the I know the reality is that I am just as susceptible to the dangers of distraction as anyone else. It is a bad idea to drive while using the cell phone and I will probably continue this unhealthy and antisocial practice. I wonder if a fine will do any good with most of us.

maravilla

why would you continue doing something so stupid? eventually you will have an accident if not because you were distracted then because some other idiot on the road was either yakking on the phone or texting. i got into a taxi a few weeks ago and the young driver was texting his girlfriend. we were driving on a two-lane country road with lots of people walking along the roadway, lots of curves, dogs, kids, and oncoming traffic. i snatched the cel phone out of his hand and told him i would give it back to him when he got me home without killing me. he said, “oh, but my girlfriend and i are having an argument!” well, it will have to wait i told him, and when the next message from her came in, I texted her and told her she would just have to be patient, that it was too dangerous to drive and text at the same time. the driver started laughing and then thanked me for telling her that!!!

kimball

What fine will be next ?

Driving and switching radio stations.

Andrew
    Keymaster

FYI

I paid the fine which has risen to US$619

See he details at: [ https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/3117.cfm ]

Ouch!

Scott

costaricafinca
    Participant

Good for you!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.