cell phone costs

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum cell phone costs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    brucehot

can anyone tell me what a cell phone costs and what the best per minute rates I can get to call back to the states?

Is Costa Rica on GSM?

Thanks

DavidCMurray
    Participant

ICE’s prepaid cost for in-country calling is less than $.07US per minute. Dunno about calling the U.S., but a service like MagicJack or Skype would almost certainly be cheaper if you have adequate Internet service.

ICE’s competitors are likely about the same.

I have used Skype at 2.3 per minute on both computer and Android phone. Last year my Android phone worked perfectly from Orosi with T-Mobile’s Wi-Fi call also. I keep about $30 on my Skype account so I can always telephone number in the states for the 2.3 cents a minutes rate. If the person you are calling has a Skype account then it is totally free.

I got both voice mail and a local telephone number from Skype for a whole year so that that I could hear from anyone at home in Portland. When someone leaves voice mail, then Skype shoots you an email to tell you that you have a voice message. I think you can buy this service in quarterly purchases. I just bought the whole year myself.

When I am in Costa Rica, I always call everyone on Skype not matter if they have an account or I am using their telephone number. I did purchase an ICE month long card for an International telephone I took with me from Amazon.com. I gave up and just continued to use Skype and T-Mobile WiFi calling, it was very easy to do either.

I also even reset my password with my credit union here in Portland on Skype twice during my trip.

Tom

maravilla

we use magic jack to call the states and canada, and skype to call italy.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.