Cedula Renewal in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cedula Renewal in Costa Rica

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    colleen.1

Does anyone have updated information on the cedula renewal process. Our 4 year pensionado status is up soon I want to know if we can apply for permanent status?

DavidCMurray
    Participant

If it has been three years or longer since you were granted pensionado status, you are eligible to apply for permanent residency. The process is simpler than your pensionado application since you do not have to provide new birth and marriage certificates, etc. It’s merely a status conversion.

We went back to our ARCR-affiliated attorney and had him do the deed. He had whatever documents were required, etc, so we paid our money and sent him into the fray. Seems like it took about a year to get our permanente cedulas during which time we renewed our pensionado ones.

rosiemaji

You can apply for permanent residency after 3 years of temporary residency status. I was told by Migracion that all I needed to apply for permanent status was a letter, in Spanish, requesting a change of status from temorary to permanent. It is hard to believe that is all I would need since I have read on this forum that the change could take up to a year to complete. Since you have passed the 3 year mark of temporary residency, you can and should apply for permanent residency ASAP.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We did it ourselves last year, with no problems and yes, it did take almost a year. I had my first Permanent renewal for my [i]cedula[/i] 2 weeks ago and my husband just phoned for his appointment this morning and will go on on Friday for his renewal. My renewed [i]cedula[/i] cost was $123 plus $6 and is valid for 3 years, so hope hubbies is the same.

some friends who have had their temporary pensionado status for a while, asked it they were allowed to work if they changed to permanent residency ? for example, my cedula says: residente permanente libre condicion (I am not a pensionado)

costaricafinca
    Participant

Once in the possession of your Permanent [i]cedula[/i], you are permitted to work…[i]if you wish to.[/i]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.