CD Rates

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum CD Rates

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    doover612

2 seperate realtors told me I COULD GET 8% ON CD IN COSTA RICA OR PANAMA.FACT OR FICTION

alexander69

[quote=”doover612″]2 seperate realtors told me I COULD GET 8% ON CD IN COSTA RICA OR PANAMA.FACT ORFICTION[/quote]

You can. Based on the local colone. Big difference. It would work out to around 4% us dollar last time I checked.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Just to stress, you can get these rates and higher in CDs but only when you invest in the Costa Rica currency – the colone.

These rates are certainly NOT available in Costa Rica when you invest in bank CDs in US dollars.

The only type of ‘reasonably secure’ investment that would give you these kinds of rates and higher in US dollars would be private mortgages and they typically look for US$50,000 minimum.

Scott Oliver

grb1063

Could you elaborate on the private mortgages via e-mail?
    Gracias

aguirrewar

Not even close since the refinance rate is 4& for a 30 year mortgage in the USA.

You will not get more than 2% even investing $250,000 the rate is the rate. Try a CD in a bank for 3 years (3%) max.

warren

bogino
    Participant

Well….I recently placed several clients funds into short-term (1 to 2 year) Anadarko bonds at yields through 8% as well as longer-term Anadarko’s (2019) at 9.25%…..but you MUST have some tolerance for risk.

aguirrewar

The last part explains it all “but you MUST have some tolerance for risk.”

The higher the yield the more risk involved. Vanguard has a fund with low risk with a 6%.

It all depends on how much you want to gamble.

warren

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.