Caribbean article – What a load of crap!

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Caribbean article – What a load of crap!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    chetohrt

The review ([url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/public/4928.cfm]article here[/url]) of the Carribean by Realtor Michael Simmons
    is an amazing insult to the Carribean Coast and one has to wonder if he has a vested interest in perpetuating the bad mouthing of this area so that he can attract more clients to buy property in Guanacaste.

I will agree that Limon is not an attractive city, which is why plans are being talked about to modernize its infrastructure, as well as the consideration of building an international airport and modern port facilities to the tune of several billion dollars.

To state that he was afraid to even stop and fill up his gas tank, in a city that is the home of thousands of hard working Ticos is a huge insult to those people.

What a wuss! Continuing on, having lived in Cocles for 4 years full time, I have never heard of or seen a shark infestation (in fact people often comment on the LACK of sharks in this area).

Thousands of spiders everywhere….really?

Yes, people do smoke Pot here, but every time I have been offered it (which is rarely), saying no once has sufficed, and I have found that those who are dealing it then know not to ask again.

This area is an environmental jewel in Costa Rica and the prejudice towards Black Ticos is transparent and perpetuated by Trash “Journalism” such as this, apparently by an individual who has a vested monetary interest in insulting this area and its people.

Do us all a favor and stay on the West Coast where you belong!

lyncota
    Participant

Hmmm.
    The Pan American Highway south of Cartago is WAY scarier than Routa 32 over the mountains to the Caribbean side.
    I’ve been visiting Cahuita for extended periods of time for the past 8 years and have never been approached about purchasing ‘substances’:cry:.
    Yes, it rains. Sometimes a lot. That’s why there is jungle there full of really cool stuff. Spiders, frogs, sloths, army ants,toucans, you name it. All of which I can observe from the hammock on my porch.
    Only one decent restaurant in P.V., seriously?
    And there are lots of Black people there. Wasn’t it nice of the President to “give” the land to the Afro-Caribbean residents who were already living there, along with the Indigenous peoples, too?
    I think the author was a little outside of his “comfort zone” and allowed his prejudices to influence how he viewed the area.
    And the beer IS very cold in Cahuita. At least the author got that right!

Andrew
    Keymaster

As you have pointed out Chet, Michael is not a journalist, he’s a Realtor and like you, he’s entitled to his opinion.

I would personally agree with you that he doesn’t appreciate the area in the same way that we obviously do but I don’t change people’s opinions before we publish their articles.

Scott

PS. And where on earth did you get the idea that they are considering building an “international airport” to serve the Caribbean?

bogino
    Participant

“[i]I spent the entire first 90 minutes with my eyes glued to the road, white knuckles on the steering wheel, sweaty palms and fear in my eyes. You see the road is basically a two lane suicide path,[/i]”<<——–This guy is a FRICKIN Lunatic. I've driven that road multiple times and yeah it's a bit windy and curvy in some spots but NOTHING like what this guy describes. Talk about Overreacting….this guy is indeed a big wuuus (or however it's spelled). Stay in your touristy Guanacaste and don't talk or write about areas you know very little about. Guanacaste and Cocles..Cahuita..Manzanillo are like 2 different countries the culture is that different. Guanacaste is Don Ho and the Caribbean is Bob Marley. Apples to Oranges.

chetohrt

Scott, For some reason I can not Copy and paste the article on this computer but google Limon airport expansion, this is being proposed by the Mel group and being studied by the Costa Rican government as part of an overall Limon infrastructure upgrade plan.

Andrew
    Keymaster

[quote=”Chetohrt”]Scott, For some reason I can not Copy and paste the article on this computer but google Limon airport expansion, this is being proposed by the Mel group and being studied by the Costa Rican government as part of an overall Limon infrastructure upgrade plan.[/quote]

Thanks Chet: I’m sure the new “international airport” on the Caribbean side will happen some time within the next 75 years!

chetohrt

Scott,
    I know that such things are not done for altruistic reasons, virtually most if not all goods arrive through Limon, which is why the construction of a huge modern port facility in Moin is top of the list.

Plans for widening Ruta 32 are being drawn up (financed for good or bad by the Chinese). I know that the construction of “international Airports” has been discussed for various areas in Costa Rica but it would make sense that Air Cargo as well as tourist access would be a smart move for CR (personally I would be happy if Nature air would just renew flights to Limon).

My point in responding to this article is that it’s easy to take cheap shots towards an area of the country that has historically been ignored by the central government, but which has nonetheless developed its own unique culture, Deserving and finally getting some respect and attention.

I thought the be afraid…. be very afraid overtones of REALTOR Michael Simmons article was inappropriate (although I did enjoy the white water rafting part 11 down the Pacquare River, one of my favorite excursions).

Lonnie1

This guy is so full of s**t I will not begin to talk about the color of his eyes! My wife and I have been going to Costa Rica for several years. We happen to like the Caribbean coast so much, we purchased a house there. We will retire on the Caribbean whenever that happens. We searched intensively on BOTH coasts to determine where we liked better. The Caribbean won. It is peaceful, quaint, laid back, beautiful and a wonderful place to be. It is safe, young ladies walk from Puerto Viejo to wherever they are staying at all hours of the night. Never is there a problem. We have NEVER had anyone ask us if we want drugs EVER!!!! We partake in a little smoke now and then and have to search for it! This was the most ridiculous article I have ever read on any blog about Costa Rica.

Riverjop

But there is a bright side to the article!
    It will help keep the Carib side beautiful, mysterious and uncrowded for all of us who have spent time there!

Hey maybe he secretly owns property there and is trying to keep it all to himself?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.