Caretaker – Ojochal – price

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Caretaker – Ojochal – price

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    olsgaard

We have almost bought a lot in Ojochal – almost 2ha – most of it is forest.

As we live abroad we are able to be in Costa Rica during the year. Therefore we have found a Tico guy how says that he will clean the lot twice a month. There is yet no hause on the lot. He is claiming $100 a month for the job. He will deliver machines and gasoline himself.

What shall we expect to pay for this job – is $100 a fair price for this kind of job.

Do we need to make a contract with him?

Hope to hear from you local guys – or others that have an idea of the price level in Costa Rica

Best
    Martin 😉

costaricafinca
    Participant

[i][url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Labor-Law/]Legally[/url][/i] you are required to pay his CAJA,INS and yearly [i]aguinaldo[/i] which will cover him for any accident occurring on your property.
    Since most of it is ‘forest’ you really shouldn’t need have to clear it twice a month, during the drier period.
    Suggest you ask the neighbors. We have lots in our neighborhood where the workers come in with their weed whackers, and some do a really good job while some don’t look at what they are cutting…:roll:

olsgaard

[quote=”costaricafinca”][i][url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Labor-Law/]Legally[/url][/i] you are required to pay his CAJA,INS and yearly [i]aguinaldo[/i] which will cover him for any accident occurring on your property.
    Since most of it is ‘forest’ you really shouldn’t need have to clear it twice a month, during the drier period.
    Suggest you ask the neighbors. We have lots in our neighborhood where the workers come in with their weed whackers, and some do a really good job while some don’t look at what they are cutting…:roll:[/quote]

Thanks. I was told that if we make a contract with him -and do not pay pr hour – we dont have to pay CAJA, INS?

costaricafinca
    Participant

People who purchase a service from a [u]legal yard maintainance company[/u], may not be required pay these additional fees, but as an [i]extranjero[/i] it could come back on you, if and when you terminate his services. I have seen it done, when the ‘hired hand’ will then go to the Labor relation office, who will tell him what you should have paid and if you don’t do pay this, it will go to court so then you have additional fees….[i]and you will not win[/i]!
    Being on site, and see what work is actually being done would be my suggestion.

videolady

We stay at our house in CR about 4-5 months a year. We have a couple of acres on the Guanacaste coast. The only time we have our property cut is when we plan to be there. Before we built we paid $100 and had it cut once a year at the end of the rainy season.

costaricafinca
    Participant

We are in the interior of Guanacaste and in our ‘gated community’ lot owners of -/+ 1 hct. come in with their workers and cut down their ‘weeds’ a few times a year. Right now some of the ‘weeds’ are over 5 ft tall, and they were only cut down approx a month or two ago.
    Others are better tended throughout the year, with the worker bringing in their own equipment/gas but I think $100 is [i]way above average[/i].

VictoriaLST

And be careful. Have a written contract whatever you decide. Make sure that no one is able to squat on your land because they can then claim squatter’s rights – a bad situation for you.

Lonnie1

What’s the point? It is an empty lot. You get into all types of contractual crap and legalities in Costa Rica. Let it sit until you want to do something with it. It will probably only cost a couple of hundred then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.