Car Valuation

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Car Valuation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    colleen.1

We have a 1999 Nissan Patrol GL ( bought in C.R.)which according to the largest Australian car breakers is very, very unusual model even in that country.

We have had to import parts from this company due to the unavailability elsewhere in the world.

Our problem is that the C.R. valuation is grossly overrated and therefore the annual tax is very high and although our lawyer claims he is trying to get the value reduced we believe he is “stringing us along”.

We have had a trade-in valuation done by the Nissan dealership in S.J. which is for more than half of the “official”stated value.

Does anyone know where we go to dispute this valuation ourselves as we are tired of waiting for our lawyer to act and the year is fast coming to an end.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Check this out!

[url=https://www.welovecostarica.com/members/3871.cfm]How to Calculate Costa Rica Import Taxes For Vehicles Video[/url]

This might give you a better valuation ….

Scott

rf2cr
    Participant

Another good reason to buy a car here instead of importing one you already have – getting a standard run of the mill car in CR saves tons of headaches and problems and extra costs of spares. Love my HiLux pickup, even dealership repair costs are reasonable

ddspell12

Are the prices of automobiles bought in CR reasonable?

maravilla

cars are vastly overpriced here because of all the taxes and import fees. i just paid $5000 for a 1991 Geo Tracker that, in the States, I could’ve bought for $1000 (or less!)

DavidCMurray
    Participant

[quote=”ddspell12″]Are the prices of automobiles bought in CR reasonable?[/quote]

maravilla’s right. As compared to prices in the U.S., cars purchased in Costa Rica, whether new or used, are very expensive. That’s due to the high import duties, freight costs, etc.

What’s important to understand, however, is that no matter who imports whatever car is under consideration, the final owner is going to pay all those additional costs. Whether you import a new or used car from the States or buy one that someone else has imported to Costa Rica, you, as the final owner, will pay those costs. No one is going to give you money for free.

And, as others have pointed out, in Costa Rica it’s legal to roll back odometers (often tens of thousands of miles), to re-title U.S. wrecks, and to “assemble” vehicles from scrap. When you buy a used car here, you really have no practical way to know what you’re getting.

New cars, imported from Asia, are not quite the same as the same models imported to the U.S. either. Friends recently bought a new Kia sedan here. The comparable model in the States has six air bags. Theirs has two.

And a number of people I’ve talked to have asserted that new vehicles imported directly from Asia weigh 200 to 300 pounds less than the same model imported to the U.S. Since they look the same on the outside, and since they look the same on the inside, one wonders what’s missing.

There is no doubt in my mind. If I had the luxury of time, I’d buy a car in the U.S. of the same make and model as commonly seen in Costa Rica and import it. That way, I’d get current safety standards and I would have a much broader selection. And the cost would be virtually identical to buying something here.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.