Car prices & Isuzu dealer in Liberia.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Car prices & Isuzu dealer in Liberia.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    rf2cr
    Participant

I have been at this computer for the last 5 hours trying to find the name and address of the Isuzu Car dealership in Liberia. Can anyone help? I know it is there – just not how to find it. If they don’t have a website a phone number would be helpful.

Also, if anyone has the following info at their fingertips – Cost of:
    1) Diesel Galloper new
    2) Toyota Hilux pickup (double cab, diesel) new
    3) 2004/5 Isuzu double cab diesel pickup – also same new.

Any info, as always, will be greatly appreciated.
    Ruth

paumatom

Try this link http://www.crautos.com/
    and go to new cars, Izuzu ,agency, and you should see phone numbers.

Good Luck

Alvaro

This took me less than 5 mins: http://www.lys.co.cr/v2/acerca_sucursal.htm. The Isuzu dealership in liberia is Grupo Q L&S. It is located about 300 meters west of the Burger King restaurant going towards the Airport. The link has address, phone and fax numbers.

Edited on Jul 11, 2007 21:13

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ruth, I doubt you’re going to find a new 2004/5 vehicle for sale here.

The Hyundai Galloper was replaced by the Terracan about 2004. The Terracan is available with either a 2,500cc or a 2,900cc diesel or a 3,200cc gas engine. We own a 2006 2,900cc diesel with an automatic transmission. It’s the most troublefree vehicle I’ve ever owned. Unlike other diesels I’ve driven, the 2,900cc engine never runs out of power at “high” rpms. It drives like a gas engine except at the fuel pump. We get about 19 mpg. And the Terracanis a huge improvement in comfort over the Galloper.

Our Terracan cost about $34,000 in September of 2005. A year later, a friend bought the equivalent 2007 model for about $35,000.

Hyundai is imported to Costa Rica by the same Grupo Q L&S that imports Isuzu. Their main Hyundai showroom is in downtown San Jose on Passeo Colon, but they’ve just opened a new showroom in Santa Ana. A salesman named Hugo (who speaks excellent English) was very helpful to our friends. You can reach him by cellphone at 843-5509. Lachner y Saenz’ downtown number is 257-1111. Their website is: http://www.lys.co.cr.

I think you’ll find a Toyota Hilux or a Nissan Frontier to be a much more expensive proposition than a Hyundai.

Note of caution: If you invest in any one of these vehicles, you’re going to be shocked by the cost of the annual “marchamo” and the optional insurance (particularly theft and collision). Pucker up!

rf2cr
    Participant

Alvaro-

You evidently are a better man than I – tried all the usual google and yahoo searches using every combination of words I could think of and the closest I got was a phone number for the San Jose office. Thanks for your assistance.
    Ruth

rf2cr
    Participant

David,

Thanks for your, as always, helpful reply, The “new” 2004/05 vehicle was a typing error – we might have an opportunity to purchase a used 2004 or 2005 Isuzu diesel pickup from a friend that is going to trade it in on a bigger one and just wondered if someone could give me an idea of its value.

I appreciate the info on the Terracan, I understand this is its’ last year of production and it is now being replaced with the “SantaFe”, which has a $32 to $40,000 sticker price here in the US which might take it out of the range that we want to spend.

Just how bad is the insurance and “marchamo”? Is the marchamo a % of the current value of the vehicle?

Ruth

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ruth, what you say about the Terracan being replaced by the Santa Fe does not square with my understanding. The Santa Fe is a bit smaller, and it’s a unibody vehicle; the Terracan is a body-on-frame vehicle. As of last August, the Santa Fe was being offered alongside the Terracan by Lachner y Saenz. Maybe LyS has decided to cease importing the Terracan to Costa Rica, but I can’t think why. You see them everywhere.

The annual marchamo on our Terracan is about $880US; the monthly cost of the optional insurance (additional public liability and property damage coverage, theft, collision, uninsured motorist, etc) runs to about $225US. So basically it costs us about $300 per month just to own this vehicle. If we actually drive it, it’s more. And then there’s maintenance.

Aren’t you glad you asked?

Alvaro

Grupo Q L&S sells used cars as well so there is a chance that you might find a very good Isuzu truck or SUV at their used car lot. If you are looking for used cars and speak spanish, then try http://www.economicos.com or http://www.crautos.com. As far as Hyundai, they still sell the Hyundai Terracan and the Santa Fe is not the replacement for this car. The Hyundai Veracruz is the newest vehicle from Hyundai but it won’t replace the Terracan either. The Hyundai Terracan will be upgraded in 2009 and they will continue production of this model for many years to come. I would purchase an Isuzu D-Max which is the new version of the Isuzu KB pick-up truck. Toyota and Nissan cars are very expensive in Costa Rica so be prepared to commit to a heavy investment. I believe that Toyota, Nissan and Hyundai are the most reliable though.

rf2cr
    Participant

I misspoke – 2007 is the last year for production of the Terracan, it is being replaced with the Veracruz.

Well – one thing about it, we are not going to find it hard to change our requisit $600 into colones if half of it goes on keeping our car on the road! Better to know now than have “sticker shock” when we go to pay our first marchamo.

Thanks David.

Ruth

rf2cr
    Participant

Alvaro –

Thanks very much for all the info. Evidently I am getting different info than you as the report I got was that the Terracan goes out of production in 2007, may just have to wait and see! Appreciate your assistance, have looked at the sites you mention and they were very helpful, Right now we are deciding between the D-Max and the Terracan, both have advantages.

Ruth

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Okay, Alvaro, tell us about the Veracruz, please. Is it an SUV? Is it unibody? Body-on-frame? Motor options? Etc?

Alvaro

Rf2cr, I explained it wrong. The name “Terracan” will go out of production, but they will recreate the concept in 2009. The Veracruz is an SUV, unibody, 260 HP, 3.8 liter DOHC V6, 6 speed automatic and with lots of premium amenities such as xenon lights, leather interior, CD changer, ABS brake system, etc. Check it out for yourself at: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/vehicle/veracruz/veracruz.aspx. On the Hyundai website they show that according to Motor Trend Magazine, the Hyundai Veracruz beat the Lexus RX350 in their tests, here’s the link: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/images/asset_upload_file21_15739.pdf. If you visit the Hyundai dealerships in Costa Rica they already have them available in their showrooms. Watch out Toyota and Nissan, Hyundai is coming fast at your heels!!!!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.