Canadian Woman Murdered in C.R.

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Canadian Woman Murdered in C.R.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant
    costaricafinca
    Participant

On an online papers here it reports that “A judge said he ‘might’ be able to get around to signing the warrant this week,” the source said. “[That judge] said he doesn’t have time and the arrest of these two suspects has been delayed.[/i]’.
    [b]Disgusting![/b]

Andrew
    Keymaster

It is tragic however, it was not a good idea that the Canadian woman was shooting at armed poachers….

[ http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2968137 ]

Canadian woman gunned down in Costa Rica has local ties

Police suspect a Canadian woman found shot outside her Costa Rica home was targeted by poachers, a local newspaper reports.

An autopsy revealed Kimberley Blackwell, 53, a former Whitehorse, Yukon resident whose family lives in Orillia, died from a gunshot wound. Her body was found Wednesday on the patio of her home near Puerto Jimenez, where she operated a chocolate business.

Originally it was reported Blackwell was strangled, but an autopsy revealed she died from a gunshot wound and was severely beaten, the Tico Times newspaper reported. Police said the investigation is focusing on poachers, yet other motives have not been ruled out.

Eric Epstein, a long-time friend, said Blackwell had told him she was retaliating against poachers who were hunting on her land by shooting at them with a BB gun. He suspects trouble may have arose as a result.

“She was a remarkable woman. She was a fighter,” he said from his home in Whitehorse, Yukon.

She was a lover of animals, so much so friends nicknamed the eccentric woman “Fairy Sloth Mother” for nursing a sloth back to health.

Her family is travelling south from Orillia, Epstein said.

Blackwell formerly lived in Whitehorse, Yukon. She moved to Costa Rica about 16 years ago to become a chocolate-maker.

The Foreign Affairs department confirmed a Canadian woman was murdered in the Central American country, and the consulate is working with local authorities.

maravilla

not only did she shoot AT them, she HIT one of them. not a good idea.

Andrew
    Keymaster

Where did you hear that from maravilla?

costaricafinca
    Participant

I read it too.
    Here is one link, supporting this [url=http://cfjctv.com/story.php?id=1205]statement[/url] but I did read another one, from a friend who was visiting at the time.
    There is protesting … and putting your life in danger.
    That area is well known for poaching.

maravilla

i heard it from a friend of hers. when i first heard about the crime from this mutual friend, it sounded immediately to me like a retaliation and not a random act of violence. it’s still terribly sad. she was not living in the Yukon anymore. although there it’s as dangerous.

sprite

We need more people like her and fewer like the poachers, of course. It seems we are taking apart the environment around us and I can understand how her strong opposition to that kind of activity might lead to a violent confrontation. Too bad she wasn’t better armed.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.