Can you recommend a nursery in Costa Rica?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Can you recommend a nursery in Costa Rica?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    njackson

Looking for a comprehensive nursery outlet in CR that sells many different kinds of seeds…

At the moment very interested in mosquito-repellent plants like Zacate Limon and edible herbs like basils and oreganos.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Seeds are not easily available here, at least not in the huge numbers that one would see in stores and nurseries in North America. Purchasing them from the one company that offers seeds, often leads to disappointment as they may not germinate…
    Suggest once again the [url=http://www.arkherbfarm.com/]Ark Herb Farm[/url] where you are may find seeds or at least plants. EPA often offers starter plants. [b]If [/b][i][/i]you are successful, let some of the herbs ‘go to seed’ then replant the seeds for your next crop. Look for Cuban oregano which has larger leaves, and is less attractive to the insects … :roll:… although you will likely need to fight off the insects that may devour the herbs, so suggest you plant the herbs in pots not in the ground, but not the lemon grass.
    You may have to look around your neighborhood for the lemon grass or ask a friend.

rf2cr
    Participant

Depends on where you are and how far you want to drive – La Garita, 11 kilometers on the ruta north of the Airport, has numerous nurseries, you might find what you are looking for there.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Of course you’re right, how could I have overlooked all of those wonderful [i]viveros[/i]…8)

Thought I would add that we use Vanilla extract to keep those mosquito off of us… Depending on how strong you need it, it can be added to water to spray on, mixed with a body lotion or straight from the bottle.

njackson

[quote=”Rf2cr”]Depends on where you are and how far you want to drive – La Garita, 11 kilometers on the ruta north of the Airport, has numerous nurseries, you might find what you are looking for there.[/quote]

Excellent idea! We often drive past those bazillion viveros on the way to the coast…will be easy to stop by a few (or more) of them. Thanks for the suggestion!!

njackson

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Seeds are not easily available here, at least not in the huge numbers that one would see in stores and nurseries in North America. Purchasing them from the one company that offers seeds, often leads to disappointment as they may not germinate…
    Suggest once again the [url=http://www.arkherbfarm.com/]Ark Herb Farm[/url] where you are may find seeds or at least plants. EPA often offers starter plants. [b]If [/b][i][/i]you are successful, let some of the herbs ‘go to seed’ then replant the seeds for your next crop. Look for Cuban oregano which has larger leaves, and is less attractive to the insects … :roll:… although you will likely need to fight off the insects that may devour the herbs, so suggest you plant the herbs in pots not in the ground, but not the lemon grass.
    You may have to look around your neighborhood for the lemon grass or ask a friend.[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for the valuable information!! I just went to the Ark Herb Farm website; looks like it includes a great nursery…we will need to make a trip there before we head to the coast. Also, thanks for the tip on vanilla. I have read about it before, and it’s good to have an affirmation from someone who’s living in CR. Thank you again

VictoriaLST

Cocobolotreefarm.com – the farm is near Liberia and the trees are terrific. Lots of things you can’t find elsewhere.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.