Can US citizens work in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Can US citizens work in Costa Rica

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    scottwhite

I was thinking of moving to CR for a couple of months. Would I be able to work in a local hotel or work anywhere in CR if I am a US citizen?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Please search the forum on this topic which has been covered in depth… And ask yourself if the USA would allow a Costa Rican citizen to step off the plane in the USA and start working “in a local hotel.”

“If” you were allowed to work here part time “for a couple of months” in a local hotel – which you are not – you would earn about $300 per month working full-time, how does that sound?

Best wishes

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

scottwhite

I get what you are saying about US not allowing non US citizens to work in the US. I thought it might be different in other countries. Some people are able to get a work Visa and work here in the US. So there is nothing like that in Costa Rica? I would not be able to get a work Visa and work in Costa Rica? I would be willing to work part time or full time.
    Thanks for the info.

Andrew
    Keymaster

“If” you could prove that your skills in working in a hotel were unique – which is EXTREMELY improbable – the immigration process to get a working Visa would take about a year and cost at least $2,000 plus travel expenses which would then enable you to earn about US$300 per month working full time, does this still make sense to you?

Costa Rica encourages people to come here, invest, start businesses and employ Costa Ricans but coming here to work for a few months in a hotel – I’ll be blunt – Forget about it! And please don’t think about coming here and working illegally, that’s just not smart.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

scottwhite

gotcha. doesnt seem reasonable to pay all that money to make $300 a month anyways. Wouldnt wanna work there illegally, which is why I was investigating the work situation. im really going down there to vacation, but thought a side job would be nice. Now I will just vacation and not bother working. I like that idea better.
    Thanks again for the info, very informative.

dkt2u

Just a suggestion, but you might consider volunteering in some capacity during your couple of months stay.

scottwhite

Thats a good idea. I have already looked into volunteer groups in the Rain Forest and different ones for the environment. Thanks

gcengineer

My 0.02 cents.

Forget about work and just “enjoy” the country.
    Make a plan, visit, tour the country and scope out the areas
    that you are interested in. If you have a unique skill set or
    know some friends in CR visit with them and discuss the issues.

Relax, take a deep breath and eat a fresh pineapple.

🙂

scottwhite

Yes, thats what I was planning on doing. Just wanted ideas in case I find myself getting bored. I doubt that will happen, but just want to know what my options are and all that good stuff.

Pineapples and relaxation are on the agenda.

Thanks

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.