Calm ocean – other options than Samara?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Calm ocean – other options than Samara?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Patchouli

So everywhere I can read about the great great surf in Costa Rica. However is there any place where the waves are actually small? A protected beach that you can access without an allroader for example? It should be somwhere where living costs are not to high.

Thanks in advance,

Patchouli

Andrew
    Keymaster

Your #1 concern about finding a place to live in Costa Rica is that the waves should not be too high?

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

PS. What is an “allroader”?

billw888

Check out two of the nices beaches in CR that I know of and the waves are pretty tame — Playa Flamingo and Playa Conchal.

enduro

You can add Playa Hermosa and Coco beach to that list… just up the coast from Flamingo… Good access roads… no 4 x 4 (allroader) needed… and only 25 minutes from Liberia airport. Largest waves I’ve seen at Hermosa maybe 2 ft in the middle of a storm! Usually 6″ is a swell there. Playa Panama is a nice beach too…
    There are many affordable residences in and around the area, especially in Playas Del Coco. It’s a nice area and as safe as any other area I’ve been to. There are quite a few Ex-pats living in the area and amenities are quite abundant.

Brian

Edited on Sep 12, 2009 01:39

costaricabill
    Participant

as a resident of Samara, I guess I need to ask “why not Samara?” At the same time, I will admit that all of the other places mentioned by other respondents (plus many other locations) offer “friendly beaches” with calm waves, reduced undertow, protected shorelines, etc. The type of beach, size of the waves, etc. all depends upon exposure to the typical ocean swell, prevailing winds, protection offered by headlands, reefs, islands, etc. You have a lot of options if you do your research. Don’t rely on my opinions or those of others – go see for yourself, talk to locals (Ticos and gringos) be observant (a lot of surf shops may indicate that the waves are not too small, although there are many surf shops in Samara because it is a good learning beach). It can be deceiving as well – Samara and Carrillo offer smaller waves, but just 20-30 minutes either direction (Camaronal and Guiones) offer world class waves and surfing. Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, there are a lot more things to consider than the size of the waves!

johnklein56

My wife and I will make our first visit to Costa Rica in late November. We’re exploring the Nicoya coast, and most of the beaches mentioned above appear consistently in books and posts. We will start from Playa Hermosa and work our way south over about 7 days, probably overnighting in 3 distinct locations

Samara is definately on our list. Can you recommend how to connect with the expat community there? In every locaton we want to get a flavor for “beachfront”, developed commuwnities, ocean view at altitude to see what that offers in person.

Also, any suggestions for accomodations? We’re not 5 star resort people, but at the same time not primitive. We’re really not too worried about on site services (except perhaps a good restaurant) as we will be roving around outside the facility all day.

Thanks for anything you can offer.

John

enduro

John

I can recommend the El Velero hotel and restaurant in Playa Hermosa. It is right on the beach and it’s very comfortable, the restaurant is excellent, and price is reasonable (about US$80 / night per room double occupancy). This is a friend of mine’s place (he’s a canadian) and very jovial!!! He has a website under the hotel’s name…

As for further south… I’m sure others can help…

I, myself will be there late November (28th) so I might see you there…

Brian

Side note… Scott I hope this doesn’t violate the rules… if so please delete and accept my apologies…

enduro

John

After some thought, there is an excellent restaurant on the south hillside called “La Finisterra”, they serve wonderful food and again reasonably priced. Great view over Hermosa towards the Papagayo peninsula.
    There is also the Hotel “Villa Del Sueno”, again they have a terrific French influenced restaurant along with excellent accomodation, albeit the restaurant is a bit pricier.
    “Gingers” is an exotic asian style restaurant with a variety of top class dishes to discover and great cocktails!
    Finally if you need a Sports bar… there is an Upper Deck sports bar with big screen TV and food on the main road through Hermosa…

Hope this helps

Brian

mbrydenthal

John,

Email me direct at MatthewBrydethal@yahoo.com
    or call me at 928-699-0206

We own two homes in Samara and go down once per year with our two young children…we would be happy to discuss the area.,.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.