Caja locations/need appointment?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Caja locations/need appointment?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    janetl2424

Do we have to make an appointment to apply for Caja and where are the offices located? I was told some locations only take applications on certain days of the week. Also, is it a one time visit to get set up or does that take more than one day? Thanks!

barbara ann

it depends on what area you are in. you regularly are assigned to a location near where you live. and yes you make an appointment for your first initial meeting with the dr. then you can put yourself on 3 month appointments if you ask for it. we are in Jaco and our clinic is kind of across from the post office near where the fruit market is on Friday. For emergencies you just go there with your card showing you are current on your caja payments,

janetl2424

[quote=”barbara ann”]it depends on what area you are in. you regularly are assigned to a location near where you live. and yes you make an appointment for your first initial meeting with the dr. then you can put yourself on 3 month appointments if you ask for it. we are in Jaco and our clinic is kind of across from the post office near where the fruit market is on Friday. For emergencies you just go there with your card showing you are current on your caja payments,[/quote]

But as far as applying, I was told I could go to any Caja office. If so, which offices take applications on what days? I will only be in Costa Rica on a Thursday and Frida and need to find an office where I can apply on those days. And will those two days be enough time? Thank you!

costaricafinca
    Participant

Read the info on [url=http://tipscostarica.com/public-health-tips-costa-rica/]this website,[/url] which explains that you have to set up an appointment for an appointment to apply…
    The above link actually relates to an expat with a Costa Rica family and not at a [i]Pensionado[/i] or [i]Rentista[/i] so don’t expect your interview to have the same results.

You[u] may[/u] be permitted to sign up in [u]any[/u] CCSS office although you [u]can only us[/u]e the facilities and doctor in the area you are assigned too and where you intend to live in,(which will be added to info on your CAJA [i]carnet[/i]) unless you are in an emergency situation when ‘out of this area’.

barbara ann

I forgot, initially you go to a social security office, seguro, they have you fill out the paperwork and tell you what your monthly fee will be for coverage. I did not think about the initial application. I believe you have to make an appointment at social security too, our office in jaco is next to banc of costa rica on the north end of town by the bus station. the other thing is in costa rica they change procedure from time to time. also if you are 65 you can get a pensionado card that gives you discounts on services including ten per cent off at CIMA. it is a gold card, also gives you free entry to the national parks and a discount on the bus.

rosiemaji

Janet2424, you will get more relevant information if you share where you are so that people from that area can give you more specific information. In San Isidro PZ, you sign up for the CAJA at the Social Security office. I don’t think an appointment is necessary unless they are really busy. They will ask you questions about your income and some of your expenses such as rent or mortgage payment. What you will need to pay each month will be based on a % of your income that was used to apply for your status. You will need to show your residency acceptance letter because the CAJA must be signed up for before you get your cedula. Also you can not sin up for the CAJA until your residency application has been approved. Once you pay the first month’s fee, they will tell you where your “home” hospital will be and that is based on where you live in Costa Rica. You go there to register and they will give you a Clinic Card. When you need to see a doctor, you will show the card along with a copy of the current month’s receipt showing that the CAJA is up to date. For me, the whole thing was done in about 1/2 day. So everything has to be done in order. First you apply for residency, then your attorney gets faxed a letter that your application has been accepted, you take the letter to the SS office and sign up for the CAJA, then you go to San Jose (you do need appointment for this) to Migracion with your CAJA receipt to get your cedula. Complicated and a bit confusing if you are doing it all yourself (which I did).

janetl2424

[quote=”rosiemaji”]Janet2424, you will get more relevant information if you share where you are so that people from that area can give you more specific information. In San Isidro PZ, you sign up for the CAJA at the Social Security office. I don’t think an appointment is necessary unless they are really busy. They will ask you questions about your income and some of your expenses such as rent or mortgage payment. What you will need to pay each month will be based on a % of your income that was used to apply for your status. You will need to show your residency acceptance letter because the CAJA must be signed up for before you get your cedula. Also you can not sin up for the CAJA until your residency application has been approved. Once you pay the first month’s fee, they will tell you where your “home” hospital will be and that is based on where you live in Costa Rica. You go there to register and they will give you a Clinic Card. When you need to see a doctor, you will show the card along with a copy of the current month’s receipt showing that the CAJA is up to date. For me, the whole thing was done in about 1/2 day. So everything has to be done in order. First you apply for residency, then your attorney gets faxed a letter that your application has been accepted, you take the letter to the SS office and sign up for the CAJA, then you go to San Jose (you do need appointment for this) to Migracion with your CAJA receipt to get your cedula. Complicated and a bit confusing if you are doing it all yourself (which I did).[/quote]

My residency application has been accepted and I do have the appointment scheduled with Migracion for January. My rental agreement is for a place that I rent in Liberia; however, I will be flying into San Jose from states in January to apply for Caja and my subsequent Migracion appointment. My Migracion appointment is on a Monday morning, I was hoping to fly into San Jose on Thursday, make the required bank deposits and then head to a Caja office. That would give me all of Friday to finish up anything I couldn’t get done on Thursday. However, I am concerned because I am being told some Caja offices only take new applications on certain days of the week. I will rent a car so I can drive as far as needed to get any Caja office to get my application submitted. If I know which one is best to go to on a Thursday, that would be great!

barbara ann

] We only went to san jose for our residency card. everything else was done in Jaco. Social Security officem Clinic. Costa Rica is an interesting country, things vary from place to place, as in Jaco. Again the gold card, not to be confused with your residency, is available at the social security office

costaricafinca
    Participant

Dealing with both a CCSS ofice and [i]migracion[/i] in early January could be a nightmare…
    Have you asked your lawyer for this information? Since you possibly paying a lawyer to assist in gaining residency, he/she should be willing to help.

janetl2424

[quote=”costaricafinca”]Dealing with both a CCSS ofice and [i]migracion[/i] in early January could be a nightmare…
    Have you asked your lawyer for this information? Since you possibly paying a lawyer to assist in gaining residency, he/she should be willing to help.[/quote]

I am working wtih Javier Zavaleta/Residency in Costa Rica and following his instructions, but I wanted to get as much input as possible. He seemed to believe that it would take more than one day to apply for Caja. He scheduled my appointment for Migracion right after he received notice that my residency application had been approved.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I would agree that it will take more than one day…
    What is the date of your appointment? Due to the holidays and possibly the location, the CCSS offices may be ‘backed up’ with appointments.

janetl2424

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I would agree that it will take more than one day…
    What is the date of your appointment? Due to the holidays and possibly the location, the CCSS offices may be ‘backed up’ with appointments.[/quote]

Monday, January 13, 2014 @ 9:30 a.m.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I can’t find any specif dates for the CCSS offices to re-open after the New Year.
    I suggest you contact & join [url=www.arcr.net]ARCR[/url] who will, at a cost of course, take you a CCSS office and assist you to get signed up.
    It has been now said, that CAJA is no longer taking your expenses into consideration to determine your monthly fee, but [i]asking[/i] that you pay 10-13% of your declared [i]Pensionado[/i] or [i]Rentista[/i] deposit.

Here is a list of phone numbers of many [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/costa-rica-mandatory-registration-with-social-security-for-residency.html]CCSS offices[/url], so if you can speak Spanish or have someone to assist you, you could contact the office for information regarding appointments

This information is posted on this website [url=http://www.costaricalaw.com/Immigration-and-Residency/residency-general-information-and-summary.html]Costa Rica Law[/url] and offers by far the best and most up-to-date information regarding Residency in Costa Rica, [i]in my opinion[/i]:lol:

waggoner41

[quote=”janetl2424″]I am working wtih Javier Zavaleta/Residency in Costa Rica and following his instructions, but I wanted to get as much input as possible. He seemed to believe that it would take more than one day to apply for Caja. He scheduled my appointment for Migracion right after he received notice that my residency application had been approved.[/quote]

Best listen to your attorney. If anything can go wrong you can bet it will go wrong.

You are facing two issues:
    1 – We expats are results oriented while the Costa Ricans are process oriented and much slower to get things done.
    2 – Everyone will be recovering from the Christmas/New Year two week break when all government offices are closed. Getting appointments at that time of year will take time.

janetl2424

[quote=”waggoner41″][quote=”janetl2424″]I am working wtih Javier Zavaleta/Residency in Costa Rica and following his instructions, but I wanted to get as much input as possible. He seemed to believe that it would take more than one day to apply for Caja. He scheduled my appointment for Migracion right after he received notice that my residency application had been approved.[/quote]

Best listen to your attorney. If anything can go wrong you can bet it will go wrong.

You are facing two issues:
    1 – We expats are results oriented while the Costa Ricans are process oriented and much slower to get things done.
    2 – Everyone will be recovering from the Christmas/New Year two week break when all government offices are closed. Getting appointments at that time of year will take time.[/quote]

I’m wondering if its possible for someone else to go to Caja for us to set up an appointment so we will be able to apply the first time we go to the Caja office.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.