Caja and taxable income

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Caja and taxable income

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    discuss

Does anyone have an idea of what is reasonable to expect to pay to the Caja for a couple of 2, well under 55, who would live in CR as rentista?

Is that a % of the rentista monthly withdrawal? If I understood correctly, income earned from non-CR sources are not taxed so I don’t think the Caja would be levied on that.

Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

As was mentioned before, when you apply as a [i]Rentista[/i] or [i]Inversionista[/i] your premium is fixed, so is not based on a percentage of your declared income with no deductibles for living expenses, so if you are under 55, a [i]Rentista[/i] is paying approx. $ 450 per month…and an [i]Invesionista [/i]it is even higher

costaricafinca
    Participant

Duplicate

Imxploring
    Participant

[quote=”discuss”]Does anyone have an idea of what is reasonable to expect to pay to the Caja for a couple of 2, well under 55, who would live in CR as rentista?

Is that a % of the rentista monthly withdrawal? If I understood correctly, income earned from non-CR sources are not taxed so I don’t think the Caja would be levied on that.

Thanks![/quote]

The information provided above is on target with what others have been experiencing. And what the folks at ARCR have been telling people. It seems there is no “real” steadfast method for determining what you might pay, and those rates have gone up quite a bit in the last year or so with more increases possible. The rates for pension applicants are more varied but it seems the rentista and investor rates have a narrow range, be it quite a bit higher than had been the case.

Don’t look at it as a tax…. it’s not, if it were you would know what the rate would be based on a fix amount calculated on a published and acknowledged method… it is far from that. It seems it’s what the market will bear.

Best of luck…. Pura Vida!

discuss

Ok. So, after 2 + 2 years as rentista, will the $450 go down to what other residents pay? Or will it stay that high?

Thanks.

costaricafinca
    Participant

As a permanent resident your premium will ‘drop’ but you [i]still[/i] would be required to pay almost double what someone over 55 will pay, until you are 55 [i]but who knows what that will be by then[/i]…:roll:… [i]possibly[/i] $200-$250 although they [i]may[/i] take some living expenses into consideration . You will be required to inform CAJA how much income you are receiving as they [i]know [/i]you must be getting some funds.
    Premiums are ‘all over the place’ … so at this time, there is no way to foretell what you may be expected to pay then.

discuss

Thanks! Ok, so from one side I understand the increase may be a way to get more people to contribute, in a fair way, to the Caja’s costs. We know that $400 for a foreign is not as hard to pay than $400 for a local.

At the same time, it seems also a way to pay one’s way to residency 🙂 Anyway, that’s the way it is.

I hope those payments will be considered for a future pension etc. so at least something comes back to the payer, if he/she is still in CR at retirement time.

Thanks!

costaricafinca
    Participant

I have never heard from any resident who has paid into CAJA pension scheme, that have actually received anything! Remember most expats are retirees over 55 so have never contributed into it, and according to many sources at least 50-60% of expats return to their previous home, after a couple of years.
    For your wife, she won’t be eligible for a pension unless she has her own account, meaning she would have also have to pay the higher fee.

jreeves

My husband is paying into the pension program with our CAJA payments but we’re only 40 so we have quite a bit of time to go before we find out if he will actually collect it!

Jessica

orcas0606
    Participant

[I have been a permanet resident for many years and worked here for all that time. I paid into CCSS or caja for most of my employment (about 80% or so) and ended up with 267 quotas (months) at the age of almost 63. I recive a IVM pension deposit every month and get free caja care. Hard to believe but my CR pension is more than my US pension. So Jessica, maybe your husband will get something back if you stay here long enough and if the políticos don’t spend it all. However, I have to pay US tax on this money which doesen’t make me very happy.

quote=”jreeves”]My husband is paying into the pension program with our CAJA payments but we’re only 40 so we have quite a bit of time to go before we find out if he will actually collect it!

Jessica[/quote]

costaricafinca
    Participant

orcas, thanks for sharing your experience on this!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.