CAFTA Free Trade Agreement – Must watch video

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum CAFTA Free Trade Agreement – Must watch video

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • Author
    Andrew
    Keymaster

See Sen. Sherrod Brown’s speech at: < http://www.concostarica.com/videos/3246 >

U.S. Congressman Sherrod Brown is the author of “Myths of Free Trade” which you can see at < http://www.thenewpress.com/index.php?option=com_title&task=view_title&metaproductid=1161 >

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

simondg

CAFTA rearranged spells FATCA_; it’s only missing the “T”!! It’s a conspiracy I tell you!

Great piece of video; if only more Ticos could see it this week.

sprite

LOL! Very good. I have decided that I would opposes CAFTA were I a Tico. It just smells badly to these liberal nostrils.

maravilla

You don’t have to be a liberal to know this treaty stinks, just like NAFTA.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I was surprised by A.M. Costa Rica’s coverage of Arias’ speech the other night in which he pledged that, if CAFTA turns out to be bad for Costa Rica, he’ll work to back out of it after six months of implementation.

First of all, I thought I understood that CAFTA had specific language that said there’s no backing out. Secondly, I wonder how anyone can assess the success or failure of this after just six months. And third, who’ll decide?

Do you suppose he’s fooling himself or trying to fool the voters?

maravilla

Sounds like he’s trying to fool everyone, including himself. If there is a provision for no backing out, how is he going to do it? In 6 months, a whole lot of damage can be done, and how will that be corrected? This sounds like a total scam to me, and the only ones who will benefit will be the multi-nationals — the GMO merchants, Big Pharma, and the gigantic telecoms, all looking for a new territory to rape. If Arias does try to back out, perhaps he will meet the same fate as other Third World leaders who refused to play by our rules. Ka-boom!

rebaragon

I sure hope it doesn’t come to that, but I’m grateful for the video link that I’ve now sent to all of the people I know in CR. I’ve already received feedback and some Costa Ricans are actually quite confused with all the propaganda & scare tactics going on in favor of CAFTA. Thankfully, most people associated with public universities, labor, environment, utilities (ministries & NGOs) are against it. I certainly hope that this nightmare doesn’t become Costa Rica’s newest reality.

maravilla

Read “The Confessions of an Economic Hitman.” It details all the assassinations of Third World leaders who decided they were calling the shots instead of the US. Can’t have a fair game with a schoolyard bully.

Peg

Sounds like Arias is trying to fool the Ticos into voting for CAFTA, by telling them if CR doesn’t like it they can get out of it. That’s not how these trade agreements work. The U.S. isn’t going to let that happen.

rebaragon

A lot of my friends have responded regarding Sen. Brown’s speech. This Costa Rican, San Jose lawyer, just explained it most colorfully and I wanted to share it with you:

“Hola Rebeca
    Un placer oír estas noticias.
    La mayoría del país esta contra el TLC, y Arias esta desesperado, al igual que sus lamebotas.”

For those that still have some difficulties in Spanish, he feels that most of the country is against this agreement (TLC=CAFTA) and that Arias and his bootlicking (expression similar to “kiss a…”) cronies are desperate. Let’s just hope he’s right….

Imxploring
    Participant

The sovern rights of any nation cannot and will not be bound by a “agreement” should they chose to opt out. Just look at how the US honors the agreements it makes and breaks… or how it takes out other governments… the BIG lie is that Arias is telling his nation that he cannot renegoiate the present agreement… ANY agreement can be fine tuned. He needs to step up and be honest.

rebaragon

The problem is that it’s not just Arias—this link was sent to me by my niece that works at Intel and her husband at HP:

http://www.ustr.gov/Document_Library/Press_Releases/2007/October/Statement_by_USTR_Susan_C_Schwab_on_Costa_Rica.html

The coercion has been intense and as much as I love much of what the US stands for, I HATE that it never plays by the rules it expects for itself! They have always been bullies in this hemisphere–the proof of this is endless. I’m sure there will be some repercussions, if they opt out, but I’m hoping the US Congress will have the courage to stand up to Bush now that new elections are looming and our Pres has lost so much support. I’m not counting on their integrity, just that it’s a lot easier to jump off a sinking ship—Whatever the consequences; they will be worth it if Costa Rica retains her sovereignty and the possibility for ALL TICOS/AS to have a better future—which can only be beneficial to any expat living there.

upeCity

Don’t worry, we have 700+ overseas military bases in over 130 countries… Another 6000 in the US…. To help with the coercion… Oh wait, lets not forget our private contractors (Blackwater, etc). Who knows maybe we’ll be bringing a little TLC/ Freedom to a town near you…

Seriously, is it any mystery the dollar is hitting all time lows, the DOW, fear and loathing all time highs.

Heaven help us, we’re certainly not helping ourselves… Ron Paul is our only hope in 2008, He’s for bringing our troops home, taking care of business at home, abolishing the IRS and stricktly following the US Constitution (the most beautifully document ever written) Paul is is good for America and the World…

A real patriot does not serve his country on his knees bowing to an emperor… Lets hope this week Ticos vote with their hearts and on their feet…

rebaragon

“A real patriot does not serve his country on his knees bowing to an emperor…”

UpeCity, you have the heart of a poet and haven’t they been the ones to shed light on issues that most of us are trying to look away from, when we desperately need to stare them in the face? Have hope, I will hold onto mine because I believe that the wonderful cultures (not a typo there are various cultures there) of Costa Rica who can be so wonderful, have a history of rising up and making ALL listen when they are pinned against a wall. Pura Vida, Rebeca.

maravilla

How much does Costa Rica owe to the IMF and World Bank? Those interest only loans can be called any time, bankrupting a country. You cannot take money from those two entities and then pretend to have sovereignty. You will be hammered into submission one way or another. I ain’t holding my breath that TLC will NOT pass in CR. It’s going to be a sad day for poor little Costa Rica when that happens.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 70 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.