Cachaca ching

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Cachaca ching

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    editer

So I’m doing my due diligence and searching on the web for drinks that can be concocted using native Costa Rican fruits. In my wanderings I came across this Brazilian drink called caipirinha that is made from a sugarcane-distilled alcohol called cachaca. Cachaca is a very potent liquor related to rum. However, Dutch colonists supplied it to their slaves because it gave them added energy. Alcohol is supposed to be a depressant, but cachaca (according to what I’ve read) seemingly has the opposite effect. If this is true, what a party drink it would make: lowered inhibitions and the energy to act on them! Death, where is thy sting?

Is cachaca available in Costa Rica? It’s made from distilled sugar cane juice so one would think that it could be produced in-country. I’m really curious to try the stuff. Heck, I might even try to distill some of the stuff myself, except that it takes about five or six years of aging to produce quality.

editer

jneiman

Could this be guaro? Its made from sugar cane and made by Cacique.

maravilla

they’re similar but not exactly the same, although I can’t tell you the intricate differences. caipirinia is a very tasty drink. We used to order it all the time at SOB’s in Manhattan, and of late, it’s the yuppy drink of choice. I think it’s also used to make mojitos.

grb1063

Buccanero isa CR rum distilled in Escazu. All of CR’s exotic fruits make incredible drinks and completely mask the alcohol, which make them easy to over consume!

editer

So, maravilla, did you notice any increase in your vigor after drinking caipirnia at SOBs?

maravilla

Oh, it definitely improved my dancing skills for dances I never learned! I don’t even like Brazilian music particularly, but a few caipirinias and I could’ve danced to anything!

*Lotus

love caipirinias and mojitos, but like anything else not everyone makes a good one! Try chewing coca leaves for the experience you are looking for.

editer

Okay Lotus and maravilla, I know who I want to hang around with once my house is built in San Isidro. I hope you’re not too far away.

editer

sueandchris

Here is my guaro story…I wanted to try this ubiquitous Costa Rican liquor. One night last year, my husband and I were in a small taberna in Escazu snacking on bocas. I was washing them down with a margarita and on a whim, asked the proprietor if he had guaro. “Si, senora” and lickety split, he gave me a generous pour in a shot glass. I drank it down in one gulp and really sort of liked it. “Another?” sez he and I declined. About ten minutes later we began the long (uphill) walk back to our rooms. About half way back that deceptive guaro hit me like a big, happy slug from a pillow! I made it home, but my husband noted that I was weaving a little and grinning like an idiot! Yummers to guaro and Pura Vida!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.