Buying shipping containers for storage

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying shipping containers for storage

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    joel

Who knows about buying shipping containers to use for storage units? Is there a good place to buy them in Costa Rica? Is it better to buy one in the US and ship it to Costa Rica and then keep it? Thanks, Joel

costaricafinca
    Participant

I think you would be better off purchasing one of the many hundreds that are already here, else you will have to pay shipping costs, import duty etc on it.

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”Joel”]Who knows about buying shipping containers to use for storage units? Is there a good place to buy them in Costa Rica? Is it better to buy one in the US and ship it to Costa Rica and then keep it? Thanks, Joel[/quote]

Wouldn’t stuff just completely COOK in a shipping container in Costa Rica?

Which brings me to this question I’ve been wondering for a long time:
    Does Costa Rica have any “storage units” like they have in the states that are safe and guarded with various sizes to rent? If so how much do they run for, say, 12x6x8 feet and if they don’t have these why not? (Seems like it would be a good business there.)

costaricafinca
    Participant

Duplicate!!!

costaricafinca
    Participant

There is a few here, one is located just before the turnoff to Grecia. It is called [url=http://storageincostarica.com/directions.htm]Lion Share Bodegas[/url]

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]There is a few here, one is located just before the turnoff to Grecia. It is called [url=http://storageincostarica.com/directions.htm]Lion Share Bodegas[/url][/quote]
    Thanks for that, costaricafinca. I will try to find out what their prices are and if they are truly safe. I imagine robbery of these would be a major concern in Costa Rica! They’d pretty much have to have armed guards who are trustworthy enough not to help their friends rob them. (I’ve seen this happen in gated communities where the guard helped friends rob the empty homes.)

Anyway it’s worth checking out. I wonder if they’re outrageously expensive like they are in some parts of the USA…

guru

I was going to buy containers in the U.S., build storage racks and shelves into them, then move them to Costa Rica. . . then use them as part of a building.

NO CAN DO! Containers are highly regulated in the U.S. If you are not a licensed international shipper you cannot put a container on a ship to go anywhere on a truck to cross international boundaries. As a shipper you are required to maintain control of your registered containers. That means only leaving them with the customer for a very brief period (less than 24 hours I think) so that it can be loaded.

All this is for security and post 9/11 BS.

Within Costa Rica, the trucker must be licensed to move a container (registered or not from what I understand but I may be wrong).

So yes, absolutely buy your containers in CR. But check about moving them before making the deal.

costaricafinca
    Participant

You are required to get a permit for a container if is going to be ‘permanant’ according to [url=http://www.containerhomes.net/products-and-prices/products-details/finished-shipping-container-homes.html ]this website[/url] but I am sure that most don’t do this, if it is used for storage.

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]There is a few here, one is located just before the turnoff to Grecia. It is called [url=http://storageincostarica.com/directions.htm]Lion Share Bodegas[/url][/quote]

I checked the web site, and I have to say their security does look very good plus they say the area ” is surrounded by a 7 foot concrete wall. We have many motion sensor lights, alarms and 24/7 cameras. There are 3 large dogs that always patrol the grounds night and day. Our gates are always kept closed, except for when our customers are here. ” And they claim no thefts in 8 years and show pictures as to why that is true.

UPDATE:
    However they charge $150/month which is as I figured – way too high. I guess if they’re the only game in town for secure storage, they can command it.

In fact the guy told me he rarely had an availability. Hmmm. Sounds like a good business to start up! Build some secure storage, provide a trustworthy on-site manager, some guard dogs and security cams, and rent out 15 storage units for $150/month… let’s see, that’s $2250/month gross. So build 20 instead of 15 units, that’s a cool $3k gross per month.

costaricafinca
    Participant

I don’t think that to ask $150 is too high, when they are actually protecting your ‘excess’ property in secure premises.
    Others are still around, but I do know of some storage bodegas that have opened … and closed.
    And remember, it is [i]location, location, location…[/i]

pdsnickles
    Participant

[quote=”costaricafinca”]I don’t think that to ask $150 is too high, when they are actually protecting your ‘excess’ property in secure premises.
    Others are still around, but I do know of some storage bodegas that have opened … and closed.
    And remember, it is [i]location, location, location…[/i][/quote]

costaricafinca, “too high” is of course subjective.
    I am just thinking that even in a high rent area like Los Angeles they are more or less that price, and since property and labor and most things are cheaper in Costa Rica, it seems awfully high to me (i.e.; I would expect it to be at least somewhat cheaper in Costa Rica).

Worth it, I suppose for short term storage, but certainly not for long term. Again “worth it” is subjective. Guess I should say “not worth it to ME”.

In any case, hey, the guy is getting it and so like I said, it seems like a great business for someone to start! (maybe me at some point)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.