Buying an Audi in CR

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying an Audi in CR

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    bogino
    Participant

Any way to get an “[b]approximate[/b]” idea on what the cost of buying an Audi A4 would be? I know there must be an Audi dealer in SJ since I remember 4 or 5 years ago while walking through Multi-Plaza there was an Audi showroom in the mall. “[b]Average[/b]” cost here in US is around $35K (I stress “[b]average[/b]”). I’m mainly interested in determining whether the same type of vehicle purchased locally would be 10% more….20% more…30% more…etc. Thank You.

davidd

[quote=”bogino”]Any way to get an “[b]approximate[/b]” idea on what the cost of buying an Audi A4 would be? I know there must be an Audi dealer in SJ since I remember 4 or 5 years ago while walking through Multi-Plaza there was an Audi showroom in the mall. “[b]Average[/b]” cost here in US is around $35K (I stress “[b]average[/b]”). I’m mainly interested in determining whether the same type of vehicle purchased locally would be 10% more….20% more…30% more…etc. Thank You.[/quote]

Bogino

Cars here average 40 to 60 % more than the U.S.

you can get an idea here http://crautos.com/usados/economicos-usearch2.cfm?p=1

these are actual cars for sale.. not some article explaining theory

bogino
    Participant

Great Info. Thx.

davidd

[quote=”bogino”]Great Info. Thx.[/quote]

here is a little first hand REAL LIFE experience.. not some internet search info 😉

if you have not moved here you will have to re evaluate many of your assumptions and ideas because they are very different than back in the U.S.

for example. I originally always had certain kinds of cars in the U.S. so of course when i first moved here I learned first hand the difference between owning a car here and owning one back in the U.S.

Riteve for example is one big giant pain in the ass here as opposed to getting a car inspected back in the U.S.

also having parts easily available.. otherwise your a prisoner of the dealership where the car is sold and they RIP you OFF>> big Time

The roads here are also NOT like back in the U.S. pot holes and such can do damage to a car that is already 50% more expensive. I had a nice sport car porche that cost me alot of money from damages from driving the streets here.

then the ease of selling the car in the future.. you spent all this money to find out there is no market for your car so it takes you a long time and dropping the price until you move it..

fast forward I now drive a Toyota suv used.. where there is always a market and after market parts are available.

I just sold my car within 30 days and bought a newer model.

always trying to stay within 3 -4 years from new as I find this to be the sweet spot for me personally.. then I keep it 2 -3 years and I sell.

just a few nuggets of experience.. your mileage may vary 🙂

I almost forget gas prices here are roughly $5 -6 per gallon.. which can add up real fast..

I also also forgot.. Transit Tickets.. if you get a ticket here are one of the MOST EXPENSIVE in the WORLD:!::!::!::!:

its expensive to drive here in costa rica

bogino
    Participant

I’ve visited CR about 14 times now and what you described is pretty consistent with what my expectations are. I just happened to become a big fan of Audi’s over the past 10 years (owned 5 of them already) and thought I would explore the wisdom of trying to get into one there in CR or focus on other much more “[b]practical[/b]” options. Thx.

sprite

[quote=”bogino”]I’ve visited CR about 14 times now and what you described is pretty consistent with what my expectations are. I just happened to become a big fan of Audi’s over the past 10 years (owned 5 of them already) and thought I would explore the wisdom of trying to get into one there in CR or focus on other much more “[b]practical[/b]” options. Thx.[/quote]

What would make an Audi superior to a Toyota in Costa Rica?
    …or anywhere else, for that matter?

bogino
    Participant

[quote=”sprite”][quote=”bogino”]I’ve visited CR about 14 times now and what you described is pretty consistent with what my expectations are. I just happened to become a big fan of Audi’s over the past 10 years (owned 5 of them already) and thought I would explore the wisdom of trying to get into one there in CR or focus on other much more “[b]practical[/b]” options. Thx.[/quote]

[b]What would make an Audi superior to a Toyota in Costa Rica?
    …or anywhere else, for that matter[/b][i][/i]?
    [/quote]

LOL!!! That’s easy: German Technology.

sprite

[quote=”bogino”][quote=”sprite”][quote=”bogino”]I’ve visited CR about 14 times now and what you described is pretty consistent with what my expectations are. I just happened to become a big fan of Audi’s over the past 10 years (owned 5 of them already) and thought I would explore the wisdom of trying to get into one there in CR or focus on other much more “[b]practical[/b]” options. Thx.[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL!!! That’s easy: German Technology.[/quote]

I have owned several German cars and many more Japanese cars. German technology in cars is over rated compared to Japanese cars.
    Leave it to the Ticos to choose the cars best suited for them and for their driving conditions. You see a lot of Daihatsus and old Toyota FJ Cruisers in CR and for good reasons. You won’t see too many German or USA made cars there. I was surprised to find Daihatsu at the top of the list for realizability and this list included most German cars and SUVs.

bogino
    Participant

To each his own or To each her own. Compared to German made cars, I personally, would never own a Japanese or Korean POS. Afterall, when was tha last time a Toyota won the 24 hour Le Mans.. :lol::lol:

[quote=”bogino”]To each his own or To each her own. Compared to German made cars, I personally, would never own a Japanese or Korean POS. Afterall, when was tha last time a Toyota won the 24 hour Le Mans.. :lol::lol:[/quote]

The latest Consumer Reports has Audi ranked 4th in the “Predicted Reliability” Survey. Japanese vehicles make up 9 of the top 12 listings. Toyota and it’s flagship Lexus took the top 2 places on the list. All 34 models rate above average. Audi jumped 4 places (from 8th to 4th) in this year’s ratings.

I would think that if I had my Le Mans pit crew and a full bevy of world class mechanics, I would probably choose an Audi SUV. Since I don’t, I chose a 20 year old Toyota Land Cruiser that just loves my mountain gravel roads. And, there are great Toyota mechanics all over the country!

sprite

[quote=”bogino”][quote=”sprite”][quote=”bogino”]I’ve visited CR about 14 times now and what you described is pretty consistent with what my expectations are. I just happened to become a big fan of Audi’s over the past 10 years (owned 5 of them already) and thought I would explore the wisdom of trying to get into one there in CR or focus on other much more “[b]practical[/b]” options. Thx.[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL!!! That’s easy: German Technology.[/quote]

From a UK reliability index;
    Please note that Daihatsu is number one and Audi is number 34 on this list.
    http://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer

bogino
    Participant

LOL!!!! Daihatsu versus Audi. Isn’t that like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo or something like that…..:lol::lol::lol:

sprite

[quote=”bogino”]LOL!!!! Daihatsu versus Audi. Isn’t that like comparing a Mercedes to a Yugo or something like that…..:lol::lol::lol:[/quote]

It depends upon what your intended use is for either of these vehicles.
    If your intention is to impress a bunch of ignorant, wealth worshiping snobs with an over priced European car, go for the Audi.
    If your intention is to get up and down some very bad mountain roads in Costa Rica for a reasonable cost in a private vehicle, go for the Daihatsu.

VictoriaLST

My biggest concern with a used car in CR is that there seems to be no law against rolling back the odometer.

sprite

[quote=”VictoriaLST”]My biggest concern with a used car in CR is that there seems to be no law against rolling back the odometer.[/quote]

Law or no law, people do this all the time everywhere…and there is no way to stop it. I think it is foolish to expect laws to protect us from dishonesty anyway. Dishonesty is built into the monetary economic system. The only way to buy a used car is to examine the car with the eye of a forensic scientist and always assume the seller is trying to put one over on you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.