Buying a Job/Sanity/Peace of Mind

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying a Job/Sanity/Peace of Mind

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jpgr66

Hello everyone, brand new here but excvited to start learning all about CR, it’s opportunities, dwonfalls etc. I am seriously looking to buy a small resort somewhere in CR. A smaller family business for my wife, myself and our 2 girls. Is there someone here that has done this, I am looking for all the advice I can get.

Andrew
    Keymaster

You’ll find a ton of information here using the search facility in both the Discussion Forum as well as the articles…

You’ll need to look into the legalities of working here, schools, education residency etc …

If you plan on investing in a business that gives you a little more flexibility but, working here legally is not that easy.

Unless you are planning on home schooling, I’m assuming that the education of your 2 girls will be pretty high up on the list so could you confirm how old they are and what plans you have to educate them?

I ask because good schools are not all over the country so that would narrow down the search a little for you…

And when you say you want to “buy a small resort”, help me to understand what it is you’re looking for?

Is this the type of business you have a lot of experience with already?

Scott

jpgr66

Thx Scott. My girls are 12 & 13 and private schooling is what I would be looking into. We currently own a business here in Ontario and always up for a challenge. I have alot of homework to do before making a decision but yes this site which I am glad I found will certainly be a useful resource for us. So are you saying It would be difficult for my wife and I to work at my own resort? Thanks again

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Anyone who is not a citizen or a permanent resident, which takes three years in a temporary residency status, cannot legally work in Costa Rica even in a business they own. They can direct the work of others, but they cannot do work themselves.

To become a legal resident, you must qualify as a pensionado or as a rentista, or possibly as an inversionista. Then, after three years in that status, you can apply for permanent residency without restrictions. Only then can you legally work.

The other option is to be a permanent “perpetual tourist” which requires that you leave the country every ninety days to obtain a fresh visa upon reentry.

costaricafinca
    Participant

Please check out the residency requirements at [url=www.arcr.net]ARCR[/url]
    Come and visit for an [i]extended[/i] period before you make the important decision. Costs of living here, are rising….
    Some Canadian friends of ours moved here with two young children, and purchased an small hotel 3 years ago, and have just ‘put in back on the market’ to return to Canada.

jpgr66

Thanks to all replying. I definitely have a lot of homework to do and will be doing so before any decisions.

markus
    Participant

All the advise above is great. You may want to include talking and/or visiting expats who have bought small businesses in CR. There are plenty of B&Bs mentioned or recommended on this site. By the way, short of living in CR, this site will provide you with the best information about CR you can find anywhere. Search, search, and search this site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.