Buying a car in Costa Rica? Taxes & insurance?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying a car in Costa Rica? Taxes & insurance?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    olsgaard

Hey!
    We are a family from Denmark. We are often traveling to Costa Rica – and very time we rent a car.

Now we are planning buying a lot and build a house.

That means that we will travel to Costa Rica several times a year. Therefor we consider buying a car. We have some very good friends (Ticos) who can store our car when we are back in Denmark.

As we are 2 adults and 2 children we are considering buying a Mitsubishi Montero from 1995 with 3500 cc.

But do any of you know how much we have to pay a year in taxes and basic insurance?

Hope any of you can help us.

Best Martin

There are lots of websites that offer wisdom on buying a car in Costa Rica.

WeLoveCostaRica.com

CRLaw.com

CVFirm.com

…. and a host of others offer legal and practical advice on this topic.

Just use the “search” feature of the WLCR website to find out all about cars in CR.

My wife and I recently bought a house and car in CR. We had even gone so far as to buy an old 4X4 Toyota to ship here.

The Toyota shipment was a great plan, but totally unnecessary. The excessive Import Tax kept my plan from being workable.

I found a great old Toyota in my area of Costa Rica and I’ve been very happy with it. There are local Classified Ads, Blogs, and Craig’s List to check. Most of the offerings are legit.

Many Expats will warn you to watch out for the Ticos. My experience has cost me thousands of dollars; I’ve been getting screwed by Expats!

If you plan to locate in the Central Valley, take a look in Grecia. The highway is lined with Used Car Dealers. Most offer a 90 day warranty.

Good luck in your adventure!

olsgaard

[quote=”puravidatexan”]

[u][/u]There are lots of websites that offer wisdom on buying a car in Costa Rica. WeLoveCostaRica.com CRLaw.com CVFirm.com and a host of others offer legal and practical advice on this topic[u][/u].

Just use the “search” feature of the WLCR website to find out all about cars in CR.

My wife and I recently bought a house and car in CR. We had even gone so far as to buy an old 4X4 Toyota to ship here. The Toyota shipment was a great plan, but totally unnecessary. The excessive Import Tax kept my plan from being workable. I found a great old Toyota in my area of Costa Rica and I’ve been very happy with it. There are local Classified Ads, Blogs, and Craig’s List to check. Most of the offerings are legit. Many Expats will warn you to watch out for the Ticos. My experience has cost me thousands of dollars; I’ve been getting screwed by Expats!
    If you plan to locate in the Central Valley, take a look in Grecia. The highway is lined with Used Car Dealers. Most offer a 90 day warranty.
    Good luck in your adventure![/quote]

Thanks!

Is it possible to get see how much we have to pay for insurance and taxes every year?

Andrew
    Keymaster

You may wish to check out the [url=http://www.hacienda.go.cr/autohacienda/autovalor.aspx]’AutoValor’ Hacienda website here.[/url]

ESP: Esta aplicación le permite al contribuyente obtener el valor de mercado, que el Ministerio de Hacienda ha definido como parámetro de control, para la determinación de la base de cálculo del Impuesto General sobre las Ventas e Impuesto Selectivo de Consumo, cobrado a nivel de Aduanas en la importación de vehículos.

ENG: This application allows the taxpayer to obtain the market value, which the Ministry of Finance has defined as a control parameter for determining the basis for calculating the General Sales Tax and Selective Consumption Tax, levied at Customs in vehicle imports.

PS. A 1995 car driven on great roads for all that time might still be in a great condition but a car that’s been driven for nearly 20 years in Costa Rica? Not sure I would be real interested in that …

anneliseped

this will give you an idea of the relative costs.
    When you own a car in Costa Rica, it must pass a ‘fitness’ test RITEVE every year. That only costs 10,000 colones if everything is in order…if not it must be brought up to standard and tested again…the second time it is cheaper.
    Every year in December, you must buy an annual sticker to prove that you have paid the tax and minimum liability insurance,called MARCHAMO The cost depends on the car but mine is 172,043.oo colones. A more powerful car would cost more.
    The optional insurance, i.e.. fire, theft, collision costs 235,780.oo colones for a six month term for my car. They do not sell 1 year policies.
    If you change that to Danish Kroner, I think you will find that the cost is somewhat similar to what you are used to.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.