Buying a car in Costa Rica – Gas or Diesel?

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buying a car in Costa Rica – Gas or Diesel?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    stolisprit

We will be moving to CR within the next three months.We wish to purchase a car when we get there. What are the advantages of gas versus diesel?

Andrew
    Keymaster

Diesel is cheaper in Costa Rica and a diesel engine would be able to accept some of the biofuels that are being developed.

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

wmaes47

As of this morning, I have read that Super and Regular gas pricing could change to a lower price and the price of Diesel will increase. This has not taken effect until after a December hearing. The difference in pricing between Regular and Diesel will be approximately 50 colones or .09 cents.

One of the biggest difference in the future is what Scott mentioned, biodiesel. There are several people starting biodiesel manufacturing facilities in Costa Rica. There is suppose to be a manufacturer in San Jose, but I can’t locate them. I use biodiesel in my 06 Jetta.

Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on peanut oil in the late 1800’s, but petro diesel was cheaper at that time and peanut oils was not used.

Another difference from a gas engine is that the diesel engine will have a longer life and is less expensive to repair. It is a more simple engine.

I would suggest a diesel engine vehicle for the above two reasons.

Happy Motoring
    Bill Maes

aguirrewar

Ask me the time and I will tell you how to build a clock.

How Diesel Engines Work
    By Marshall Brain

“What is the difference between a gasoline and a diesel engine?”. Rudolf Diesel developed the idea for the diesel engine and obtained the German patent for it in 1892. His goal was to create an engine with high efficiency. Gasoline engines had been invented in 1876 and, especially at that time, were not very efficient.

The main differences between the gasoline engine and the diesel engine are: Gasoline’s engine intakes a mixture of gas and air compresses it and ignites the mixture with a spark. A diesel engine takes in just air, compresses it and then injects fuel into the compressed air. The heat of the compressed air lights the fuel spontaneously. A gasoline engine compresses at a ratio of 8:1 to 12:1, while a diesel engine compresses at a ratio of 14:1 to as high as 25:1. The higher compression ratio of the diesel engine leads to better efficiency. Gasoline engines generally use either carburetion, in which the air and fuel is mixed long before the air enters the cylinder, or port fuel injection, in which the fuel is injected just prior to the intake stroke (outside the cylinder). Diesel engines use direct fuel injection; the diesel fuel is injected directly into the cylinder.

Diesel Fuel: If you have ever compared diesel fuel and gasoline, you know that they are different. They certainly smell different. Diesel fuel is heavier and oilier. Diesel fuel evaporates much more slowly than gasoline — its boiling point is actually higher than the boiling point of water. It takes less refining to create diesel fuel, which is why it is generally cheaper than gasoline. Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline. On average, 1-gallon (3.8 L) of diesel fuel contains approximately 155×106 joules (147,000 BTU), while 1 gallon of gasoline contains 132×106 joules (125,000 BTU). This, combined with the improved efficiency of diesel engines, explains why diesel engines get better mileage than equivalent gasoline engines.

jenny

Thanks for that information in a nutshell. Usually when you get a book on the differences, you have to read 5 pages before you get to the answer. Thanks

DavidCMurray
    Participant

A minor addition to the foregoing discussion of diesel fuel is that refining a gallon of diesel renders more usable fuel than refining a gallon of gasoline. So not only does the refined diesel fuel contain more energy but it also requires less crude oil to produce.

GringoTico

I recently rode in a taxi with both a conventional and propane fuel source. I believe it was a Hyundai, and the cabby said it came that way from the factory. There was a switch on the dash to select the source, and the propane tank was in the trunk. He told me lots of taxis are going the propane route, as it’s close to half the cost of gas.

I was really surprised that it wasn’t an after-market modification. It sure seems like non-American car manufacturers are so much better at developing specific vehicles for specific markets. It’s hard to feel sorry for the big three when the only time you see an American car in a foreign country is in pictures from Cuba. Are they completely ignoring the rest of the world?

Andrew
    Keymaster

**Moved & reposted here by Scott** Nov 25,2006 5:48 AM bradmorgan

Where you will live in Costa Rica is an important factor in your decision to buy a diesel or gasoline vehicle. I live on the South Pacific coast in a small town and a 4 wheel drive vehicle is a must here. The lower cost of diesel plus the durability of the diesel engine makes it the logical choice for my location. I usually drive short distances and am frequently in 1st or 2nd gear and often in 4wd. Even if the regular gas prices are reduced and the diesel prices increase, the diesel will still be cheaper and over time you can save considerably with even a small difference in price. And, as was noted in another post, the diesel is more durable and usually requires much less maintenance than a gas powered vehicle.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.