Buy or rent a cellphone in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Buy or rent a cellphone in Costa Rica

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Antonic

Is it better to buy or rent a cellular phone in C.R.? What is the best to get? I want one that is capable of calling U.S. and Canada using Tico Talk and Save Phone Card.

genn789

Use SKYPE to make your international calls from computer to computer: its is free. You can call with Skype from your computer to any (mobile-) phone in the world. Much cheaper than the rates of the phonecompanies.

dkt2u

Skype will only work well if you are at a computer and have highspeed internet. The whole idea of a mobile phone……is well……it’s mobile. If you are on a short stay and must have a phone it doesn’t make sense to buy one here. It’s not like back home where you just walk into any kiosk outlet at the mall and grab a free phone for signing up and walk away talking. It is a little more of a process. I’ve never rented one, but I would think that renting would be the way to go for a short stay.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

dkt2u is right. It’s a process.

You can buy the phone a lot of places. Getting the service from ICE is the hurdle. First, you must have a receipt for the purchase of the phone. Then, you must either be able to display your residency or enroll in the service in the name of a Costa Rican corporation. The corporation in which your real estate is owned will do for this purpose.

So, as dkt2u sez, rent if you’ll only be here a short while.

maida

arent there any pay as u go cell phone services available in San Jose

tomasino
    tx500sl

I have always rented from Rent-A-Cell in the Payless Car Rental Office behind the Denny’s across from the airport. They have a couple of plans from which you can choose, depending on whether you plan to call internationally or just within Costa Rica. They have always been very reasonably priced, friendly and their service reliable.

OTTFOG

I always rent from Meta Rent a Cellular. You can call Mario at 506-354-9427 or go to his website and fill out the form telling him when you will arrive; http://www.metarentacellular.com. He will be standing outside the terminal waiting for you when you arrive. He will swipe your credit card and off you go. When you get ready to fly out, call him and he will meet you at the airport or at Denny’s and close out your account. On my first trip to Costa Rica I thought it was really neat that my cell phone worked just fine down there until I got home and got the $1100 bill. Now the $50-$100 that I spend with Mario to be in constant communication with family in the States and make/receive local calls when needed is well worth it.
    Good luck,
    Jerry

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.