Building with Coventec system

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Building with Coventec system

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    charmey
    Participant

Does anyone have any information about building with the Coventec or the Styrofoam insulated panels? We are considering the various methods available for a home here near Jaco and would appreciate any information members may have to share. Thanks

Imxploring
    Participant

Could not agree more. If the cost of block scares you off it might be best if you rethink the whole idea of building. I’ve seen some of the “new” cheaper building techniques and while some look promising IF done properly I question the long term durability. This is Costa Rica, keep it simple, stay with what works. Remember this…. there’s often a reason some things are more expensive…. because they’re better!

BillNew
    Participant

Building with ICFs (Insulated Concrete Forms)is an up & coming way to build. Structurally, they are head & shoulders above the traditional way of building in Costa Rica whereas you pour a footing with emerging re-bar, run a couple of #3 or #4 re-bar between every course, vertical re-bar in every pocket, and pour the block full of concrete with a riga corona every 10 or 11 courses. That said, they are heavily dependent on training, technique, and the ability to get get ready mix and a pump truck, which can be difficult in many places in CR and sometimes quite expensive. ICFs erect quickly and you may want to look at some videos here. http://www.quadlock.com/

Much of the concrete used in construction in CR is from bags and it is simply not feasible to try to fill ICFs in this manner. When done correctly, you have an homogeneous, monolithic structure reinforced by #6 re-bar far more resistant to seismic disturbance than the traditional building method that will ALWAYS have seams. Remember that what hurts you in a seismic disturbance is generally “racking” not a stable up & down motion. A monolithic structure can’t really rack. Although you really don’t need the insulation in CR, there are few faster, better ways to custom build to my knowledge. But again, technique and mix designs are crucial. Since this is an emerging technology in CR, I would probably arrange to have a factory rep there if I was to use them. It would only be few a few days and it shouldn’t be hard to find one that would like to visit CR.

Although the panel systems that are sprayed with Gunite are deemed structurally sound, I personally just don’t trust them in a seismically active environment. There’s just not enough aggregate for my liking. But that’s me, your mileage may vary.

Take care,

Bill

ticatobe
    Participant

[quote=”charmey”]Does anyone have any information about building with the Coventec or the Styrofoam insulated panels? We are considering the various methods available for a home here near Jaco and would appreciate any information members may have to share. Thanks[/quote]

I know this is a little late (just saw it), but I used it in my house. The reason I used it was because my house sits against a hill, just meets the ground at the entry and is supported by steel beams and posts into the ground – [u]so it sits high in the the air[/u]. Did not want to use concrete block due to the weight on the supports, so used the Covintec. It is strong, looks just like block finish and thickness. I have been in it 3 years and no problems. The architect’s design and structure ensures it is seismically stable. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.:D

Do you have any picutures you can send me of your completed house. I too am building on a ridge (narrow) and my have to use the same type of construction.
    Thanks for any help or advice you can give!

rf2cr
    Participant

Our coventec house is 8 years old with zero problems. Get in touch with Jim Aoki of Rico Realty, Jim has been building with coventec for 10 or 12 years and has done some beautiful homes with it. Don’t have his email handy but look up Rico Realty of Lake Arenal for contact information.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.