Building in Playa Hermosa

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Building in Playa Hermosa

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tkrawczyk

My wife and I are beginning to make plans to build a home on some property we have in Playa Hermosa (the Hermosa by Jaco). We have a Costa Rica lawyer and some good friends in the area that can connect us with labor. We would be very interested in hearing experiences from others. Our plan is to use the house as a vacation home, perhaps for some rental income, eventually part time retirement. We live in San Diego right now.

Any information would be most welcome.

Thanks,
    Tom

HuffnerB

My husband and I are a year or two ahead of you. We bought a house on Playa Hermosa, already built so I can’t help you there.
    But rental-wise, it’s going well. If you’re not in a community with an existing maintenance and rental staff, you’ll need to find someone to handle everything for you. There are plenty of companies in Jaco who specialize in rental properties.
    We worry a bit about all the condo construction in Jaco, and how it’ll affect our occupancy. But the good news is that most of our guests (usually families) prefer to stay outside of Jaco (ie Playa Hermosa) for the peace and quiet. Good luck. Where’s your property, exactly? Maybe we’ll be neighbors someday.
    Beth.

tkrawczyk

Hello Beth – thanks for writing.

Our property is just past the bus stop that’s up the road from the Backyard Hotel (Charlie’s and John’s area). You know – just past where the main road start to leave the beach from South Playa Hermosa. I bought two lots there about 3 years ago, and we figure construction prices are going up pretty fast so we might as well get started. Charlie put roads and drains in for me and ran power and water, so we’re ready to get some plans drawn up.

My main concern at the moment is the rip-offs. Have you had any trouble at your place? I have to think that would be a constant battle after spending $100K for a house…

Rentals in Jaco? I look at it this way. People who dont know any better might stay in Jaco the first time, but I would think as one gets the area wired, your gonna want to rent in the country.

HuffnerB

Can’t quite place your property, as I don’t know Charlie/John’s area. But I think we’re quite close.
    We’ve been really lucky not to be broken into yet (almost 2 years), but there are a few neighboring homes, and all have been burglarized. We’ve hooked up with the neighbors to share a couple full-time workers for the landscaping and pools, and recently hired armed security for the evenings…so there’s always somewhere there keeping an eye on the homes. We also all have alarms and safes, but haven’t gone the usual route of security fencing. No matter what you do, they’ll find a way in if they want to, so my best advice is to simply keep nothing of much value in the house…so when you get robbed it’s not too costly. And advise your renters to keep valuables out of site. Weekends seem to be the worst time for robberies.
    PS, if you don’t already know, Playa Hermosa’s water is really poor and often non-existent, sure to get worse with all the construction. There’s talk of improving the water system, but who knows if/when that might happen. You might want to consider a well as part of your construction plans.
    Pura Vida! Beth.

tkrawczyk

Thanks so much for the information. I’ll have to look into the water situiation. I think I’ve got a direct feed from a water tank at the top of our hill. Of couse, the tank could go dry…

Do you have a pool at your place? Would you recommend for or against a pool? We’d like one for when we will visit, but it seems like the maintanance might outweigh the benefit.

Where abouts are you guys located in Playa Hermosa?

Thanks Again,
    Tom

HuffnerB

I’d highly recommend a pool but only if you have someone good to take care of it almost daily. Pumps burn out when the water gets too low, chemicals need to be kept up, etc. The neighbors just built a small pool for about $12 to $15k. I think having the pool is a big attraction for our renters.
    We’re on the beach, north of Hermosa Palms and south of the Backyard. Other suggestions: whole-house surge protector. Power surges are very common. Also, an air conditioner with dehumidier to take some load off the ac, save electricity (it’s not cheap) and control mold.
    If I find out anything about the quality/quantity of the water from the tank, I’ll let you know. Beth.

tkrawczyk

Hello Beth,

I guess we are pretty close to neighbors. From your description, I’m picturing your place as just South of, of one of the houses on stilts right accross the street from the beach. Of course, it wasn’t too long ago when just the pig farm was all there was down that road. Heck – I hear the road is paved now! Sometimes I wonder how much progress is too much…

So if you head back to the main road, make a right and go up the road about 200 meters you see the bus stop and school sign. My lots are another 150 years up that road on the mountain side. I have a great ocean and mountain view, but not nice beach front like you have.

Anyway, thanks again for the information. Its all going in my ‘things to remember’ file…

Tom

*Lotus

Tom it sounds like you are off of Calle Hermosa. Is the the development up the concrete road to the left and some of the lots have building “pods” cut out for a house? We also have property about two mile south of where you are up in the hills, they have just started the roads and such. We have been going to Hermosa for about 5 years. We’ll be back down for most of December staying at the Costa Nera. Things sure have changed quite a bit in the area from just last year, curious to see all the changes. Here is a sight you may be interested in: http://www.centralpacificrealty.com Adam has lived in the area for quite awhile,you can see some homes he has built and stuff for sale in Opera Salvje etc…

Edited on Oct 31, 2006 05:26

tkrawczyk

Thanks for providing that web-stie. Looks like a good resource for inforamtion. The house pics will help give us some design ideas.

Yes, my lots are where you describe. My particular lots actaully make up a small mountian point, and are a combined 7700 sq meters. Our current plan is to build on the ‘upper’ lot and do nothing with the lower (2600 meter lot) for a while. Unfortunately, my wife and I have not been back down there since we have our daughter 27 months ago; it’s time to make our way back. Spending a month down there sounds like a great way to relax, and probably get some house-work done too. We’re going down there in May. With three of us, traveling from San Diego, it gets pretty expensive just to get there. The days to spending $800 bucks total for 2 weeks of surfing with the boys are long gone…

Another question: about how much should I expect to pay someone to run day-to-day rental operation activities? I think the guys in my area alreay have or are starting a rental pool. I may be able to take advantage to that. I inagine there is a point of diminishing returns for the whole rental thing.

*Lotus

I know there is a guy in Jaco I met while looking at houses to rent. If I can find the web site I will pass it on, they do everything from watching vacant homes to landscaping, rentals…the works.

HuffnerB

Yep, we’re south of the stilt houses and the road is paved, courtesy of Hermosa Palms. I kinda miss the potholes…made people drive slower. There are about 5 houses under construction just north of your place…check them out for ideas, they’re going to be beautiful and killer views, as you say.
    It’s rumored the pig farm has been sold, and there are plans for condos and hotel. You’re right…we buy because it’s beautiful and secluded, and before you know it it’s Ft. Lauderdale, thanks to us Gringos. But further rumor has it the rest of the beach is concession land and can’t be developed, as it’s nature preserve. I selfishly hope that’s correct.
    A couple management companies come to mind…Jorgi at http://www.era-realty.net, Daphne at Pacific Properties, Rock Management, all in Jaco…just check them out next time you’re in town. Or maybe our property manager would be interested.

pweisel

Remember that you really need to be on-site when you build your house. The reasons include managing laborers (even if you have a contractor things will need your attention), to purchase your own materials (a common area to get burned – in the US too!) and to push to keep things moving along. Plan on 9-12 months. Good Luck!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.