Building in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Building in Costa Rica

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    senta

Maravilla, we are in March in CR and since we are also planing to build eventually and oversee it ourself so it would be nice if we (german-american couple) could speak to you a little while we are there and give us some advise.

Andrew
    Keymaster

This is a discussion forum, designed so that we “discuss” matters in the forum so that we can all learn from those experiences.

In doing it this way, rather than asking people to email you (which I have deleted) – people who have been through the ‘build your own home’ experience do not have to repeat their story 100 times to others like you who probably all have similar questions.

I KNOW ‘Maravilla’ well enough to know that the last things she wants is to answer over 200 emails per day which is what I typically receive …

Please keep the information in the forum or the people we can really learn from will not contribute for fear of being flooded by emails …

Best wishes

Scott – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

maravilla

Dear Senta:

I just got back from an entire month of being in Costa Rica working on my house outside San Ramon. We are in the final stages of completion now after only 6 months of construction. The exterior doors and windows should be in at the end of next week, and the finishing touches — interior doors, cabinets, etc. — should be installed within two weeks. Scott as asked me several times to write an article about my experience of building a home in Costa Rica, which, so far, has been nothing but a positive, although at times stressful, experience. I hope to be able to sit down and compose the entire sequence of events in the next couple of weeks — my experience is probably unique in that I went to Costa Rica on vacation one year ago and was there only 5 days when I bought property and now I am only weeks away from having a beautiful home in the countryside. Please post your questions here and I will be happy to answer them.

rankingee

Maravilla,

I for one would certainly be interested to hear of your experience in house building. I built a couple of houses in california, and that was bad enough. What were your costs per square ft. or square meter minus your lot.

thanks,
    rich

maravilla

Hola Rich!

I built an 1800 sq foot house on a half acre. With all the upgrades and custom work I added, the finished cost will be $38 per sq foot (plus the cost of the land), but that will include custom hardwood cabinets and doors, glass tile mosaics in the bathrooms, granite countertops, tongue and groove ceilings, custom light fixtures, saltillo tile on all the floors, high-end toilets and hand-carved stone bathroom sinks. Start to finish time will be a little over 6 months. There weren’t really any major problems or cost overruns because I have a great contractor. I didn’t even get any gray hairs over this project. Most people can’t believe that it all went so smoothly, but it did, and I hope to build more houses using the same crew I used on my house.

rankingee

Maravilla,

Wow! Sounds like you did excellent. I have built a couple homes where I live in Lake Arrowhead, California and that was a bit trying but fulfilling. I will be visiting CR in a couple of weeks, going to Mal Pais for a little surf and sun and will check out some lots there. I would like to build a place to visit a couple times a year until I retire in about 12 years (ouch!), keep the lake arrowhead home for the summer and go to CR for the winter.

Thanks so much though for sharing your experience!

rich

valentina

Hola Maravilla!

Can you please give me contact info on your contractor?
    I need one ASAP.
    Thanks
    Valentina

maravilla

Hola Valentina:

Where are you building? My contractor is currently working on 6 houses just outside San Ramon. I don’t know if he works in any other area of CR at the moment as he can hardly keep up with the projects he has. Contact me off-list and I will give you his name and phone number.

joshstanley

Maravilla,
    I was enthused to hear of your success building your home. Congrats! Is there any way to get your contractor’s information to see if they are able to accept new business at this time?

Josh

maravilla

If you’re building in the NW Central Valley, somewhere near San Ramon, then it is possible you could use him as your contractor. If you are building on the beach someplace, I know for a fact that it would be impossible for him. As it is right now, he has 6 houses under construction simultaneously and is already overloaded. So where are you planning on building?

yogi53

Hi Maravilla, We recently bought a manzana of land just outside of San Ramone in Magallenes and would really love to get the name of your contractor. Building a house in the U.S. is an overwhelming proposition and we REALLY don’t know where to begin with this sort of project in Costa Rica. We want something simple and don’t have any pressing time schedule, just someone who is honest, does good work and can help us through this daunting process. I have enough gray hairs already! Please help!

maravilla

Before I give you my contractor’s name, I need to know if you voted for Bush!

My contractor is going crazy with all the building projects he has going right now. When did you want to start building?

yogi53

I had to stop laughing before I could respond to your posting. You don’t really want to get me started on this subject because I’ve been known to lauch into a rant about all of the havoc he and his cronies have wreaked on our country since his reign of terror began. I have never voted republican in my life but even lifelong republicans I’ve known have switched sides. I think Charles Barkley recently said it best: “I used to be a replublican until they lost their f…ing minds!” I’d love to chat at length with you about politics and life so here is my e-mail: nbennettco@netzero.net Oh, I almost forgot, we hope to start building in 8-12 months and first want to build a small cabina while we ponder how much more of a house we want or need, and then later rent it out. My sense of life in CR is that one needs very little to be happy there and we’re at a point in our lives where quality of life is far more important than material possessions: Less is more! Hope to hear from you. Nora

maravilla

Okay, Nora, I’ll give you the name of my contractor. If you’d voted for Bush I was going to tell you that you’re on your own because I will not assist anyone who voted for him in their move to Costa Rica because those are the people I’m trying to get away from! will e-mail you provately.

cesarlondono

It sounds like you are doing great with this contractor. I am planing also to build my house near San Jose in Aserri. could I have his name as well. I am planing to star building in about 2 to 3 months.
    thanks

Edited on Apr 03, 2007 09:51

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.