Building in Cosa Rica during rainy season

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Building in Cosa Rica during rainy season

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    editer

Last February, I purchased a lot just outside of San Isisdro de El General. It was originally my intention to start building at the beginning of the next dry season. I’m seeing a lot of indications, however, that make me wonder if I might be better off starting construction earlier.

Were my concerns about building during rainy season unfounded or does a daily downpour cause problems when working with concrete?

I have taken care of everything that I can in Chicago. My lawyer has created a Sociedad Anonimo for me, I’ve had all the required documents for pensionista status at the Costa Rica Consulate, and I’ve contracted with an escrow company to handle money payouts to my contractor. I’m chomping at the bit to get down to Costa Rica and if there are no drawbacks to building in the rain, I’ll probably head down on the next plane.

Frank

ticopaz

Cuz I’m leavinnnn on a jet plane, don’t know when I”ll be back againnnnnnn….Pack your bags Frank! And get out of Chicago!

Robert

I have a piece of land on the northwest pacific coast. I have spoken to three builders. Two builders said they prefer to build during the rainy season, the third wanted to build at the tail end of the rainy season. The reason they gave was the cement needs to be constantly wet down to cure correctly.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

The best time for excavation is in January and February when there is still moisture in the ground but it’s not muddy. That said, both our houses were built substantially during the rainy season. Obviously, when it’s just raining snakes, and before the house is under roof, the rain can bog things down, but generally the workers can continue to make progress.

One thing that must be attended to is drainage. You cannot overlook the importance of diverting the rain from the house both during construction and afterward. Once the excavation is completed, making provision to keep the site free of excessive water is the very next priority. If you’ve cut into a hillside, this may need to include installing surface drains, putting down sod, and building retaining walls.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.