building codes etc…..

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum building codes etc…..

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bushtrmr

hello everyone! Its my first day here on the site and I am interested in moving to Costa Rica.
    My question is are there building codes or inspections when building “your own” house in CR? I have built 3 homes in Missouri (all in a county without codes). I know I will need to know some CR specific building guidlines but will I be able to do my own thing? Oh, I plan on being up off of the ocean but hopefully with a distant view.
    Any info would be great!
    Thanks,
    Ben

Andrew
    Keymaster

You will be able to do your “own thing” Ben if it happens to fall in line with Costar Rica’s seismic codes…

You can download the most recent 272 page seismic code details (in Spanish of course) from:

[ http://www.cfia.or.cr/descargas/Codigo_S_setiembre_08.pdf ]

Scott

DavidCMurray
    Participant

Ben, the typical procedure here is to have an architect develop the building plans and then have a structural engineer review and approve them. Once that’s done, they’re sent to the College of Architects and Engineers for their approval.

Then you purchase a workers’ compensation insurance policy and apply for a building permit.

Once the building permit is issued, there are no additional on-site inspections unless you’re financing the project with a bank mortgage in which case the bank’s own architect will inspect the job periodically prior to approving additional disbursements of money.

Either you or your contractor must record each employee on the job site with the Social Security system and one or the other of you must withhold the required payroll taxes and pay the employer’s share.

And, as Scott mentioned, Costa Rica has a building code that’s oriented toward earthquake resistance.

You should be aware, too, that there are serious restrictions on just where you can build. There are limits on how close to the beach and to waterways you can build and maybe other restrictions as well. Navigating all of that is part of what an architect can help you with.

bushtrmr

Sorry so late! Thanks for the help and info. I am currently looking for a lot/acrage to buy. It also seems it would be a waste of time for me to actually physically build the house according to what these builders work for down there(hr pay). It would be better for me to pay them to build and I stay up here and work.
    I am looking forward to my first trip land shopping this summer!!:P

Thanks,
    Ben

costaricafinca
    Participant

Suggest you read the [url=http://www.arcr.net/residencyincostarica.html]Residency requirements[/url] first, taking time performing due diligence before purchasing any land.
    It is also recommended that you actually be on site during construction….or at least nearby. You don’t mention whether you speak Spanish, so unless you do, it would much harder to keep in contact with your builders…and fix or just avoid costly errors?
    Many sellers/agents will say ‘no problem…there will soon be power/phone/water to this land…’ but don’t believe it until you see the cables or pipes.

grb1063

Come in the rainy season on your first trip, which would be our summer & fall in the states (Oct is typically the rainiest). Stay for as long as you can (90 days without a VISA renewal); if you like it during the wettest time of year you can handle the best weather. Would you let someone build a house in the states without chacking on it weekly? The answer for me would be no, so why let someone else take such a huge responsibility here when you have never even visited or know the culture? It is a formula for a big disappointment. And as the others allude to, you better find a lawyer first (the best ones are recommended on this site) so you can set up an S.A. (Corp.) to open a bank account, buy the land and build the house. If you take shortcuts you will likely be short changed.

DavidCMurray
    Participant

I heartily agree that you should be onsite during the entire building process. First, problems will certainly arise that will have more than one option for resolution. You want to be in charge of that one.

Second, opportunities will arise that you will want to take advantage of.

Third, there will be a myriad of decisions to make about finishes — fixtures, cabinetry, countertops, paint, tile, roofing, etc — that one shouldn’t leave in the hands of someone who does not share your tastes and who does not appreciate your budget restrictions.

Unless the house you propose to build is not important to you, as was our guest house, which we always considered a combination of “practice” and temporary quarters for us, you need to get these things right. You cannot do that from two thousand miles away.

bushtrmr

No worries! I am a long away from building. I was just trying to get an idea of what it takes to build. I like the cost of living in CR and like the idea thats its a developing country and I could get in on it early. I am doing my homework and “reading” up on the country now. Just help me get out of this divorce process so I can get on with my life! (ooops, thats a whole other story!!) sorry…
    Thanks for the pionters

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.