Building and small investment in Costa Rica

Home Forums Costa Rica Living Forum Building and small investment in Costa Rica

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sueandchris

Scott: I am an experienced builder, designer and re-construction consultant in Prescott, Arizona. My husband and I have spent two trips comprising five weeks in Costa Rica during the past year. During our travels, I have paid careful attention to both new construction and remodels in the many places we have visited. We have been able to cover lots of territory during those weeks. We aren’t “vacation dreamers”, but rather wanted to assure ourselves that our positive,strong, and visceral response to the country and citizens (both native and international)was valid.

I design and build simple and intuitive homes or re-imagined projects that respond to their siting, weather, views to fulfill the needs of occupant/owners in powerful and economic ways. I am beginning to gather the information I will need to add Costa Rica to my work and living life. Your site has provided me with necessary information regarding real estate agents, appropriate lawyers for acquisition of property and so much more. Here are some additional questions for someone with hands-on experience: Without fluency in Spanish, can I hire someone to help me interface with my subcontractors on jobsite? How is the permitting process different there than in the States and does this vary from town to town? Are architects required for residential permits and would an architect be a valuable resource for initial work? My projects will be for sale. I believe your recent experience in construction was positive and your sale (surprisingly) rapid! I usually work in a more modern style and saw lots of examples of this there. I understand that replies will just be opinion, but some opinions are so valuable….Thanks so much for your continued work on this excellent site!

Andrew
    Keymaster

I like the sound of your “intuitive homes” concept and wish you all the success with what you do…

We have indeed sold a number of homes within hours on WeLoveCostaRica.com but not all properties are ‘screaming buys.’

You can certainly hire people without knowing Spanish and have them do what you want them to do by clearly showing them yourself but there are of course times when you won’t be there and they may need to show some initiative which may not always work.

I will ask Tom Rosenberger our Costa Rica Construction expert to put in a word since he has a lot more experience in building than most people I know …

Scott Oliver – Founder
    WeLoveCostaRica.com

There are qualified construction management consultants in CR who speak Spanish and could supervise the laborers that you will need to complete your construction.

For over 15 years, I have been helping people who wish to acquire land in Costa Rica, to build immediately or in the future, as well as those who currently own property and now wish to build a home. Having extensive experience in all of these areas, I am fully prepared to inspect and evaluate my clients land and provide computerized detailed plans for cost effective construction of housing. I have been working with Costa Rican engineers, architects, topographers and lawyers for many years and can organize all the variables and costs to complete the construction of housing in Costa Rica. Good Luck!

Before closing on a property that you intend to build on, you need to make absolutely certain that you’ll be able to obtain a building permit for your construction plans. Do not rely on the opinion of the seller or sales agent concerning the ease of obtaining permits. This is technical advice that they are not qualified to provide.

1. Hire an unbiased professional to make certain the property has sufficient water, electricity, telephone and drainage. Consider his services as inexpensive insurance that can save you a lot of money and grief down the road. Don’t rely on the seller’s opinion that these services are obtainable.

Many purchasers find out too late that the cost to bring the utilities to their property ends up costing far more than they were told. It’s little surprises like this that can end up costing you a bundle and ultimately depletes the funds you originally budgeted for the construction of your dwelling.

2. You need to make sure there have not been any restrictions placed on the land that could result in denial of your construction permit. Have a knowledgeable professional check at all of the following government offices.
    a. Public registry
    b. Ministry of Public Works (Ministerio de Obras Publicas y Transportes) for future road construction projects.
    c. Ministry of Health (Ministerio de Salud)
    d. National Institute of Housing and Urban Development (Instituto Nacional de Viviendo y Urbanismo)
    e. Municipality (Municipalidad); where the property is located
    3. Be aware that “environmental impact” is a very large concern in Costa Rica. Make sure there are no environmental regulations that may affect your land acquisition and construction plans, such as national wildlife refuges and areas protected by the Forestry Law.
    4. If you plan to build a residence that is larger than 754 sq. ft. (70m2) your application for permits must include the following:
    a. four copies of your construction plans
    b. two copies of your property deed (escritura)
    c. four copies of the permit checklist (hoja de commission)
    d. two copies of your properties plot plan (plano catastrado)
    e. one copy of your electrical design plan prepared by a licensed electrical engineer
    f. written confirmation of availability of water from the Instituto Costarricense de Acueductos y Alcantarillos (AYA)
    g. one copy of your consulting contract with a licensed engineer or architect (contracto de servicios profesionales para consultorio)

A licensed architect or engineer is required to submit your plans and obtain the construction permits. Many of the professionals in CR speak English and perhaps would be willing act as your construction supervisor as well. Good luck!

sueandchris

Thanks to you both….is crhomebuilder indeed the famous Rom Rosenberger?? The process is of course much the same as here with a few significant differences. These differences are the ones which are critical to a successful project. For instance; future road plans which can either negatively or positively impact a project, i.e. a new road running THROUGH the new home – BAD, a major new road running NEAR the new home such as a project in Puriscal – GOOD! Water issues we share in the US Southwest which have all new projects required to “prove” a 100 year water supply. Otherwise, the needs are just the regular, general and proper hoops.

Tom sounds like the guy to know and there is ALWAYS the right guy to know. Tom, do you have a website where I might get further info on your services? Also, I see I will miss the construction fair taking place the end of this month. Next year’s event should work for me. Do either of you have any personal experience with this event.

Thanks so much for the prompt input! Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.